Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 04:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Having to say "Bluetooth Audio" every time - Ford Sync

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Well coming from an Iphone anything should be better. Or so I tell myself.

Matthew
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Why are you guys screwing around with Bluetooth and iphones? I have a 250gb USB hard drive in my glovebox with a huge music collection that's fully indexed with voice commands and that starts up playing where I left off every time I get back in the car. SYNC isn't perfect, but it works OK for me.

Has SYNC gotten worse in the new Mustangs? Mine is a 2010 and it defaults to the last used source when I start the car up. If it was the USB drive it will resume playing from the same location in the same song as when I shut the car off.

Last edited by STANGmole; 10-14-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by STANGmole
Why are you guys screwing around with Bluetooth and iphones? I have a 250gb USB hard drive in my glovebox with a huge music collection that's fully indexed with voice commands and that starts up playing where I left off every time I get back in the car. SYNC isn't perfect, but it works OK for me.

Has SYNC gotten worse in the new Mustangs? Mine is a 2010 and it defaults to the last used source when I start the car up. If it was the USB drive it will resume playing from the same location in the same song as when I shut the car off.
It doesnt do this for me. I have a tablet installed into my car connected through BT and it have to fight constantly to get SYNC to connect to the tablet. Every. Damn. Time. SYNC tells me "No BT devise detected" when Im staring at the tablet. If I am listening to music with my phone sometime it will start playing that music, some times it will pay the radio.

Also I love the idea of a HD added to the car, I saw someone (maybe it was you) who had done it but my question for that is - how do you add new music without having to take the HD out every time? The only reason I installed my tablet in the first place is because I would be able to add music to it wireless-ly using my home wifi.

Matthew
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole

Is your USB device plugged into the USB port behind the glove box?

I have a 16G USB stuck in the center console all the time, and IF it comes up in USB then yes it will startup on the same song and the same point.
BUT it often powers up on radio, or Sync Line IN.

Maybe the secret port in the glove box works better??
Old 10-15-2013, 02:30 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
It doesnt do this for me. I have a tablet installed into my car connected through BT and it have to fight constantly to get SYNC to connect to the tablet. ... SYNC tells me "No BT devise detected" when Im staring at the tablet. ...
Hey Matthew,

Here are some suggestions for resolving Bluetooth connection issues: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...eshooting-sync
Although the website indicates that these tips are only for phones, the same troubleshooting is recommended for tablets.
If you'd like to verify that your device is compatible, here's the list: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
If it's anything like mine it will be hit and/or miss. One day it will work flawlessly and the next it won't do anything the way it's supposed to (with Sync that is, the phone itself has been great)
Hi mph07alloy,

Although your HTC One should support basic SYNC features, you may notice Bluetooth connection issues according to our compatibility chart: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync If you're noticing issues with confirmed features, let me know. I can provide troubleshooting tips.

Kim
Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

My 'hunch' is that the Bluetooth has to reconnect every time you start up the car, therefore you might not be able to resolve the issue of having to select it every time.

Strange though...when I pull my HD to add music, it will often default to bluetooth and start playing music from my phone until I select USB.

I pull my HD to add music. WiFi would be a great convenience for file transfer but when I add music I add several albums at the same time and it's not that big of a deal. Also, with a 250gb drive you always have plenty of music to choose from!

There are actually two USB ports. USB1 and USB2. I unplugged the USB from port 1 behind the glovebox (the center console USB is disabled) and have my HD connected to it (port 1). I'm using port 2 for additional power (with one of those USB drive power cables that are split) to my USB HD.

I plan on eventually hacking together my own custom cable so that I can get enough power to the HD while leaving the port in my center console fully functional but I haven't had the time and have been busy with more important car mods ;-)

I think I posted info on my setup a year or two back (if you do a search), but if you have questions or want more info about my HD install I can repost.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

That HDD won't give internet radio support, that's why some of us would like to use Bluetooth. Putting MRN or other sports radio is much easier than having to fumble through FM/AM channels in my area. The USB works fine, it is just the bluetooth that is shotty.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boaisy
That HDD won't give internet radio support, that's why some of us would like to use Bluetooth. Putting MRN or other sports radio is much easier than having to fumble through FM/AM channels in my area. The USB works fine, it is just the bluetooth that is shotty.
Bluetooth isnt shotty.. it's the mobile OS and phone hardware that is.. Sync works just fine if you have a compatible devise. Considering this system cant get live updates, there is no way MS or Ford could make the multiple different Android phone hardware/software combinations work perfectly. Ironically, Sync works best with iOS because it is a more consistent platform.

Guess im lucky.. while it forgets things occasionally, 99 percent of the time my USB (an old ipod touch) starts where it left off.

Another thing to consider:

When using the USB connection, the USB hardware has to "wake up" within a certain amount of time... otherwise SYNC will assume it isnt there anymore.

Could be the same for bluetooth.. SYNC has to start up it's connection.. and your phone has to do the same (most phones put bluetooth in low power mode when not connected)... so the timing has to be right for the connection. If the phone or SYNC lags in the bluetooth ready state for some reason, the initial pair wont happen.

If your phone doesn't pair when you start the car, just hit the phone button on the steering wheel and it will make the link.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 AM
maxmustang
1st Gear Member

For some reason my Sync has been working 100% of the time since a few weeks ago. No problems at all anymore
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Bluetooth isnt shotty.. it's the mobile OS and phone hardware that is.. Sync works just fine if you have a compatible devise. Considering this system cant get live updates, there is no way MS or Ford could make the multiple different Android phone hardware/software combinations work perfectly. Ironically, Sync works best with iOS because it is a more consistent platform.

Guess im lucky.. while it forgets things occasionally, 99 percent of the time my USB (an old ipod touch) starts where it left off.

Another thing to consider:

When using the USB connection, the USB hardware has to "wake up" within a certain amount of time... otherwise SYNC will assume it isnt there anymore.

Could be the same for bluetooth.. SYNC has to start up it's connection.. and your phone has to do the same (most phones put bluetooth in low power mode when not connected)... so the timing has to be right for the connection. If the phone or SYNC lags in the bluetooth ready state for some reason, the initial pair wont happen.

If your phone doesn't pair when you start the car, just hit the phone button on the steering wheel and it will make the link.
The Razr Maxx (98.72.16.XT912.Verizon.en.US) is compatible as of 9/11/2013 (even for tethering, and even though the latest SYNC update is Feb.). The phone pairs up just fine, it is just some bluetooth features tend to stumble. Mobile Apps for one, sometimes it picks the apps up, other times it doesn't. That doesn't matter now since I went to Spotify from Slacker (Mobile Apps does not pick up Spotify on Androids as of yet). However, sometimes I have to play with the pairing to get it to run Bluetooth Audio.

Also there is some call quality issues using the bluetooth on Sync. I don't know if it is Sync's Mic, the bluetooth connection, or some software issue with Sync and/or the phone. People just can't hear me clearly, and I have to switch it to the handset/private mode for people to hear me clearly.

Last edited by Boaisy; 10-16-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Having to say "Bluetooth Audio" every time - Ford Sync