Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions:

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 AM
zentin
Banned

Unhappy Few questions:

1. If i wanted to put my 03 cobra rims on, can i just put them on on my drive way or do i need to go to a dealer? Because I heard that these new mustangs have wheel sensors and stuff and they have a computer for each wheel.

2. Do you think i got a good car? at first i was looking for a convertible but in my area we get 6 months of snow and this is my only car so I thought it would be smarter to get solid top. Also i got it for a good price and I love it a lot. Also lot of people tell me I should of gotten a manual which I know is better but I couldnt find one for a good price like this and this is the best i could afford and i know manual is better. I'm sorry i couldn't get a manual but mine is still good right? Also I had a 96 cobra many moons ago and for a daily driver i think i prefer automatic, so my car is still good though right? I'm financing this car for 4 years so I'm stuck with it now so gotta make the best of it right? Otherwise i Love this color and body style.

3. for my first performance mod I am thinking of getting this CAI

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-0509gt.html

I see with a lot of CAI they require a tune but this one says it doesn't require a tune, and I'm not ready to mess with the cars computer just yet, so this will be good for me right?

4. after the CAI I am planning on getting

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...r-catback.html

what do they mean by "mid muffler" exhaust, does this catback come with mufflers? doesn't look like it, or are they the narrow mufflers? i like the sound will it pass emissions and stuff okay? Also do i need a tune for this exhaust system or will i be okay without a tune, i really dont want to get a tune right now.

5. also on the computer dash, what is the wrench and "car with swirving lights behind it" light for? they aren't on right now but I just want to know what they were for.

thanks

Last edited by zentin; 08-04-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

1. Yes, you can use your '03 rims but the offset is different meaning they'll stick out a bit farther than the OE rims. Also, Ford didn't include the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on the S197 until 2007 so you don't have to worry about TPMS sensors.

2. You have a FANTASTIC car. ANY S197 in decent running condition is a FANTASTIC car.

3. Please don't bother with a CAI without a tune. Other than looking "purty", it'll gain you MAYBE only 3-5 RWHP and even no-tune-required CAI's have been known to throw a CEL for running lean. Save your money for a good CAI & tune from AM or Brenspeed for 20-25 RWHP plus improved drivability (better shifting, improved shift points, less throttle lag...).

4. Mid muffs is just that; the location of the mufflers are in front of the axle as part of the mid pipe vs. behind (a.k.a. axleback). IMO, you can get decent axlebacks for as much or less. Either way, you get NO performance gains, just improved exhaust note. There is no tune required for any exhaust work downstream of the rear O2 sensors.

5. The wrench, IIRC, lights when you're in limp mode. The other is when the TCS (Traction Control System) is active as a result of wheel spin, wheel speed differential, etc, and is also accompanied by the system cutting spark to help reduce power and therefore tire spin. I keep TCS "OFF" unless it's raining.

You should have an OM that came with the car which describes all of the annunciation/icons. If not, PM me your email and I'll send a PDF copy.

(Did you take your meds yet? )

Last edited by Nuke; 08-04-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM
zentin
Banned

thanks nuke you have answered all my questions

I take my meds before bed :P

thats kinda disappointing, am.com people saying they got loads of performance from the CAI and the catback exhaust says u get 8-10hp but i guess they just wanna sell us stuff!

I do want to keep this car mostly stock because on my v6 i modded it to hell and it ended up giving a lot of problems later down the road.

Are the stock gt mufflers chambered? i think the stock exhaust sounds awesome but was wondering if it would be nicer to do "axleback" or just swap the stock mufflers for flowmasters, would that give a nicer tone or about the same?

also what about the throttlebody? the sixxers always told me it was a paperweight for the v6 but on GT does it help like am.com says it does? or is it just one of those mods that don't really help? does it give CEL with the more airflow?

Also, why do you keep your Traction control off? (btw the stock exhaust system is an X-pipe right? if thats the case I been reading its not too restrictive then I will just swap the mufflers for a better sound.

Last edited by zentin; 08-04-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

With the automatic the single best mod you can do is a CAI and a brenspeed tune. It is the best money you can spend. The trans will shift so much firmer and feel like a monster compared to stock. With just a cai and brenspeed tune my car (and yours will) would chirp second and third gear. Dont waste your money with a no tune needed cai, thats a horrible idea. Video evidence. Congrats on getting a great car. Youtube has a lot of videos with different exhaust setups. Some American thunder flowmasters will sound great too. I had them for a while on my car.

Last edited by 808muscle; 08-04-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the CAI & custom tune being one of the best naturally aspirated (NA) mods you can do, bang-for-the-buck wise. Most everyone on the forum will agree.

I can't say if the OE axleback muffs are chambered or not; I don't believe they are but Ford did the stock exhaust right as it flows very well. There is a sticky in one of these forums on exhaust. There are a lot of choices and it all depends on what you're looking for AND personal taste. There is no "best". What works for one guy may not work for you.

Aftermarket TB's are questionable as far as performance gains. Most folks opinion is that on a NA S197 they provide little to no gain and have also been known to be problematic.

I keep my TC off as a matter of principal unless the roads are wet since I've had a number of instances where I'd go wide open throttle (WOT) and the TC would cut spark and I'd look like a dork not being able to get out of a VW Beetle's way. Or get left in someones dust.

The stock exhaust has an H-pipe. I'm not a big believer in the X-pipe's performance gain (single digit RWHP, if at all) and I've read that it can make some exhaust systems sound raspy, depending on what other exhaust components you have. But others here have X-pipes and are quite happy with them.

Based on the list of things you're looking for, I really think you should pony up for a CAI & tune combo from AM or Brenspeed. AM's tunes are for life so if you buy another mod that requires a tune change, AM will write and email you new ones. With Brenspeed, I believe their policy is that they'll rewrite tunes for a mod only if you bought that mod from them.