Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Cobra vs 2007 GT/CS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

Default 2001 Cobra vs 2007 GT/CS

Hey guys, so i have the opportunity to get either a cheap terminator (probably not gonna happen because most in my price range are high mileage or dogged) or possibly this 2001 cobra. I love my car, but the 2001 cobra is priced $8k below its KBB value of $21k (which is higher than my car's KBB value).
http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/3973941725.html
The 2001 Cobra is in perfect shape from what i can tell, it has 24,000 miles on it and is a 5 Speed

My car has 76K miles on it, has a bit of road rash on the front end of it from the first owner, and is automatic

I figure i can get atleast $15k for mine if not more and talk this guy down to atleast $12.5k if not $12K.

My question is, what would you guys recommend me doing.

I look at it like this:
I like the styling on both of them equally
I could pocket money to buy a more valuable car
it has less miles
it is in better condition
it is a 5 speed
and i know 4v>3v>2v
if i was to get the 01 cobra i would definitely do lowering, exhaust, and window tint, possibly some anthracite fr500s, and maybe a Short Throw.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I see why you're looking at other cars so much now. I didn't realize the GS/CS was an auto! I'd be trying to get rid of it too!

An 01 Cobra isn't worth 21k, that's what I'd pay for an 03 Cobra, actually, it IS what I paid for my 03 Cobra with 36k miles about 4 years ago, then I sold it for $23k. That said, I'm not sure what exactly an 01 would be considered "worth".

If you ask me the one you linked to does look like a decent deal. The mileage is low. It looks pretty much bone stock, though that's hard to tell from the pics. I just say that because it even has the stock catback which is one of the earlier mods for most people (then again my 06 has stock mufflers and it's definitely not stock, haha).

Again, as with any performance car like a Cobra or even a GT for that matter, pics and descriptions are worthless. You'd have to go take a look and make sure it's in as good of shape as it says. Look under for any leaks, check fuilds for level and make sure they look like they get changed at least somewhat regularly, listen to it carefully for ANY strange noises, drive it, even bring it to a mechanic. If this guy isn't trying to pull one over on you and is serious about selling, he shouldn't have much issue bringing it to be looked over by a mechanic.

Other than that it seems like a decent deal. I'd expect an 01 to be maybe a little cheaper, but I'd expect it to have more miles as well, so that demands a little premium. Others may be able to tell you closer to what it's actually worth, but I see plenty on CL for $11-12k with 80-90k miles. I see he has the window sticker, see if he's the only owner. It looks like an older man from the first picture, so you may find yourself a great car.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
I see why you're looking at other cars so much now. I didn't realize the GS/CS was an auto! I'd be trying to get rid of it too!

An 01 Cobra isn't worth 21k, that's what I'd pay for an 03 Cobra, actually, it IS what I paid for my 03 Cobra with 36k miles about 4 years ago, then I sold it for $23k. That said, I'm not sure what exactly an 01 would be considered "worth".

If you ask me the one you linked to does look like a decent deal. The mileage is low. It looks pretty much bone stock, though that's hard to tell from the pics. I just say that because it even has the stock catback which is one of the earlier mods for most people (then again my 06 has stock mufflers and it's definitely not stock, haha).

Again, as with any performance car like a Cobra or even a GT for that matter, pics and descriptions are worthless. You'd have to go take a look and make sure it's in as good of shape as it says. Look under for any leaks, check fuilds for level and make sure they look like they get changed at least somewhat regularly, listen to it carefully for ANY strange noises, drive it, even bring it to a mechanic. If this guy isn't trying to pull one over on you and is serious about selling, he shouldn't have much issue bringing it to be looked over by a mechanic.

Other than that it seems like a decent deal. I'd expect an 01 to be maybe a little cheaper, but I'd expect it to have more miles as well, so that demands a little premium. Others may be able to tell you closer to what it's actually worth, but I see plenty on CL for $11-12k with 80-90k miles. I see he has the window sticker, see if he's the only owner. It looks like an older man from the first picture, so you may find yourself a great car.
Alright! Thanks man. You've been a big help. lol. I just learned to really drive stick the other day (Don't Hate) lol. But i drove my dads '11 5.0 (6spd) and my buddies 04 gt (5spd) and i got the itch for a stick shift now. lol. Maybe i can work this out. lol.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:05 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by '02gtgarrett
Alright! Thanks man. You've been a big help. lol. I just learned to really drive stick the other day (Don't Hate) lol. But i drove my dads '11 5.0 (6spd) and my buddies 04 gt (5spd) and i got the itch for a stick shift now. lol. Maybe i can work this out. lol.
I learned on my 97 GT. Brought my dad (aircraft mechanic) to test drive it for me. Haven't looked back since. When I got my 06 a couple of months ago I was talking to a dealer and they asked what I wanted and I said manual and V8 are not negotiable.