Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PWR inside door panel ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 PM
asoka05
1st Gear Member

Default PWR inside door panel ?

Hi,

I am trying to find power inside the door panel to power a LED. It has to turn on when the door is open, and turn off when the door is shut.

The only power I have inside the door panel is the power for the window switch and door lock switch, and side window mirror control.

However, the power for window switch and door lock switch turns off whenever the door is open.

Besides that, it also lights up when the door is shut.

TLDR:
Question - how can I find a power source inside the door panel that :
1. Turns on when door is open.
2. Turns off when door is shut.
3. How does the car even know that my door is open or closed ? Where is the sensor?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 02:03 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I don't think there is one in the door already. I'm thinking of when I see lighted door sill installs, they usually pull power from a wire in the A pillar controlling the interior lights. You may have to run a wire down into the door yourself.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

You will have to run the wire yourself, factory did not need anything wired like that. What are you trying to do? Run an led to the reflector? The door open/shut sensor is in the door itself, in the latch mechanism, which is where you will have to tap into since nothing in the car will give you power under the conditions that you want.

Actually there is one thing that you could tap into, the dome lights. Those will work under the conditions you want.

Last edited by defiance; 08-09-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Do it the way defiance said. Get your power from the map light circuit, which is hot all the time and use the output off of the door ajar switch to turn it on and off. Everything on these cars is ground controlled not power controlled.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Isn't there already a power drop in '10 models available for cars that have the lighted sills and unused but still there on cars without it? Regardless you should search for the instructions on the lighted sills, it tells you where to splice in for that exact function.

On a side note, are you lighting the door reflectors? If so, that's a cool idea.

edit, here's a way regardless: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...with-pics.html

Last edited by Ricardo; 08-09-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 AM
asoka05
1st Gear Member

thanks all for replies.

I bought a pair of door panels, which is from a premium model. For a premium model, when the door opens, the interior LED light by the handle will light up. I want to power this LED, but I don't want it to keep power on when the door is shut.

I installed the lighted door sills and used the installation instructions, and tapped the power from the dome lights power. But as far as I can tell, the lighted door sill is turned on all the time. (I don't want this for my door handle)

As suggested by defiance, the output of the dome light circuit would be exactly the behavior I would like to replicate. How do I do this?

To power the handle LED, I need a positive and a negative. How can I use the door lock mechanism to power anything? When I removed the door panel, the door lock mechanism is a mechanical part with a steel cable connected to the door latch. There is no electrical part connected to it?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:26 AM
asoka05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Ski
Do it the way defiance said. Get your power from the map light circuit, which is hot all the time and use the output off of the door ajar switch to turn it on and off. Everything on these cars is ground controlled not power controlled.
Can you please elaborate a little bit on how to use the output off of the door ajar switch? Where is this switch?

Do I need to purchase a switch to make this work? I would rather have this wired and behaves like this:

When door open: Turn on LED by handle
When door close: Turn off LED by handle
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

The door ajar switch is located on the bottom of the door latch. It has a ground wire running to it. When you open the door, the motion of the latch allows the switch to change position, and supplies ground back to the body control module to tell the module to turn the dome light on. If you tap into the wire going back to the module for your ground to your door handle led, it will work the way you want it to. I believe the ground to the switch is black with a purple stripe, so you would want to use the other wire.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

+1 ski
schematics here

Originally Posted by asoka05
thanks all for replies.
To power the handle LED, I need a positive and a negative. How can I use the door lock mechanism to power anything? When I removed the door panel, the door lock mechanism is a mechanical part with a steel cable connected to the door latch. There is no electrical part connected to it?
The grounds to both door switches seems to be black only.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...nd%20Alarm.pdf
The switched wires you want are lite green/black stripe for the
drivers side door and the yellow/ lite green stripe.
There is 12volts power at the window switches.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...%20Windows.pdf
Red/lite blue stripe on the drivers side window switch and
yellow/lite blue stripe at the pass side window switch.
These are 'hot' all the time.

Good luck.

Last edited by 157dB; 08-10-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 PM
asoka05
1st Gear Member

thanks guys. I'll try to see if I have time today and test it out.

Will report back

157dB - that's for 2010 schematic right?

Quick Reply: PWR inside door panel ?