Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my first Mustang on Tuesday.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Default Got my first Mustang on Tuesday.

Recently I had decided I wanted a V8 performance car and was looking at the Camaro SS, Dodge Challenger, and Mustang GT. My fiancée has a 2007 Mustang GT so I was a little more familiar with the Mustangs over the other two.

I had my heart set on the Challenger but when I couldn't get the color I wanted with the options I wanted, I decided to go with my second choice, the Mustang.

I bought a sterling gray metallic 2014 GT with the base package and auto tranny being it's only option. Here are a few pictures.

The first picture I'm going to show is the only thing that makes this purchase a little regretful. When I was looking the car over prior to purchase, I noticed what looked like a light colored dirt spot or old bird crap on the rear bumper. No big deal I first thought. They took the car to clean it up. I finish all the paperwork and go to transfer my stuff from my old car to this new car when I notice that some paint is missing from the bumper in the area that the spot was at. Obviously when they washed the car and tried to clean the spot off, the paint came off. When I looked at the area closely, it looked like something had eaten into the paint because it looked thinner than the surrounding paint. Needless to say I was very pissed.

The sales manager was called and said it would be fixed and that I could either take it to someone I trusted or they would use the shop that they contract to do their bodywork stuff. This dealership is about 60 miles away from my house so I told them I would decide what to do. He did give me the option of backing out of the deal which I probably should have taken given what the body shop told me today but I had already signed everything, signed over the title on my trade and canceled my insurance on the old car and added the new and the insurance company was closed by this time.

I took the car to a local body shop today that is well respected in the area and whom has done some stuff for me in the past. He told me to correct the problem correctly, the bumper will have to be removed, stripped and repainted and cleared. Total to fix will be around $493. The sales manager had said something about just painting the area and blending it in to the surrounding paint but my body shop guy said that is not the correct way to repair this and that in a year or two, I would be able to see where it's blended in. Since the day I bought it, the remaining paint in that spot is now bubbled up. The picture I took is not the greatest.

I called the Service manager to tell him this and he said that the estimate sounds kind of high and that he will have to get with his body shop to see what they say about the estimate. My body shop faxed him the estimate to compare. He was supposed to call me back today to tell me what the decision is going to be but didn't. I'm now leery about letting the dealer's shop fix this since they might just want to blend the paint in and just repair it to look good now and not be concerned about how it looks in the future.

Needless to say, this whole thing has dampened my excitement over getting this car. I also hope I don't have to fight with the dealership of getting this fixed correctly. Sorry for the long post and here are the pictures.

Wayne
Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Sorry about the trouble with the paint, but other than that, you have a great looking car.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I really like the car and the power is awesome. I'm just a little down knowing my brand new car has to have the bumper painted already and worried that it's going to be done right.

I have a Roush axle back exhaust on it's way as well as a UPR catch can. I will probably get a factory strut tower brace and then be done with any mods.

Wayne
Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 PM
jerstysu
1st Gear Member

Congrats and sorry. Your ride is beautiful. I've had mine a week now and I still get a little giddy when I hear the 5.0 rumble to life.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Optimus485
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the paint issue. That would honestly drive me nuts. I would've backed out of the deal having been given the option. In fact, I would call the dealership and ask them if its still a possibility. I'm sorry but that is unacceptable for a brand new 30k car. The only way to fix that correctly is to repaint the entire bumper.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Optimus485
Sorry about the paint issue. That would honestly drive me nuts. I would've backed out of the deal having been given the option. In fact, I would call the dealership and ask them if its still a possibility. I'm sorry but that is unacceptable for a brand new 30k car. The only way to fix that correctly is to repaint the entire bumper.
It does drive me nuts and I probably should have backed out of the deal. I doubt they will take it back now with me having it for three days and it now having 176 miles on it. It certainly has been a downer.

Wayne
Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
It does drive me nuts and I probably should have backed out of the deal. I doubt they will take it back now with me having it for three days and it now having 176 miles on it. It certainly has been a downer.

Wayne
Congrats on the new car! Looks great! Hate to hear about the trouble though, I hope the dealership's service guy will man up and do whats right.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

That kind of thing happens to almost every car brand sold, the bad part is they did not catch it and fix it before it was put out on the lot.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 AM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Well, it will get fixed one way or another because if they try to screw me around, I'm going to cause a lot of trouble. I have no problem talking to whomever I need to, to get this resolved correctly. Having to have the bumper repainted is not the end of the world even though this has me questioning the quality of Ford's paint. The body shop guy I took the car to today said that even bird crap should have not caused the paint to come off and bubble up like it is.

The bad thing is, is that he can't get to the car until Sep 9th so if I have him do it, I'm going to have to live with it being messed up for over three weeks. I'm not sure I'm going to like that.

Wayne
Old 08-17-2013, 12:48 AM
70monte
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
That kind of thing happens to almost every car brand sold, the bad part is they did not catch it and fix it before it was put out on the lot.
The bad thing is that it didn't look like it does now when it was on the lot. The paint came off when they took it back to clean the car up. The paint has actually bubbled up in the past two days like you see in the photo. It wasn't like that when I first discovered it. I'm just glad I caught it before I left the lot or I'm sure they would try to say I did something to it and I would have to fight them to pay for it.

Wayne

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my first Mustang on Tuesday.