Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably getting a Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 PM
dtul

I guess a big reason that I want an automatic is just because I want to buy this car within the next month and I really don't have time to learn to drive a stick between now and then. The only person I know with a stick is my dad and he tried teaching me on his 650i, but the clutch is heavy as hell. He has had manual cars for 30 years and he says he has never had close to as much trouble driving a stick as he does with his BMW. Basically his car is really hard to learn on, but I think part of it is mental too. I'm scared of breaking something on the car because it is so expensive lol.

I tried to find a school hear in Dallas where I could learn, but the only one I found was pretty sketchy, so I am going to avoid it. I also thought about renting a manual car on RelayRides or a similar site, but there are only a few manuals on the site and I could never find a time that would work for both me and the car owner. I work about 70-80 hours a week right now, so time is just pretty limited. Also my semester starts on Monday, so I will be even more crunched for time then.

What do you guys think of the leather seats in the Mustang? I like leather, but I've only seen black seats and my car is parked outside pretty much all the time. My current car has tan leather in it and it is hot as heck when I first get in. I can't imagine how uncomfortable black leather would be, so I'll probably just get cloth seats. They seemed pretty comfortable.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM
jerstysu
1st Gear Member

You can still find some new 2013's around here for a great deal, probably very close to used 2013. As the the trans, it's all preference. I went manual, just because I wanted that sporty feel. Good luck and Yikes that's alot for insurance.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 PM
70monte
1st Gear Member

I just bought a 2014 with the automatic and love it. I have a bad left knee so a manual was out of the question and I don't really care for manuals that much anyway. If I want to drive a manual equipped mustang, I can drive my fiancée's 07 GT.

I've not used the select shift buttons yet but have used the sport mode. I say go for it.

Wayne
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I learned to drive a stick two days before I bought mine.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 AM
dtul

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I would do that but I don't have access to a manual car besides my dads and I can't learn on that one. Do the automatics and manuals drive like each other? Like if I did most of my test drives in an automatic and ended up buying a manual would ti be completely different? I know that seems pretty stupid and I doubt I would do that, but would the ride be comparable?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I learned in about 2 hours when I was 17 on an old pick up truck. I was getting a 3000GT at the time, 5 speed.

I stalled maybe 5 times total, and within a week I was pretty confident in my driving. it was funny because I was scared ****less but my dad told me to drive my 3000GT home, by myself (after the 2 hours of learning)... I did it without stalling.

Hills are VERY scary at first, especially when a car is right on your ***... so you can wave them around you. But after 2 weeks I knew exactly where my clutch engages with my motor so on a hill I just let the clutch about 20-30% out, start to give it about 10% gas (be careful or you can burn your clutch up), and you know when your clutch is engaging because it will pull the car. I do this on hills.. but the trick is to not give it TOO much gas because you can shorten the life of your clutch.. it's a balancing act

Originally Posted by dtul
I would do that but I don't have access to a manual car besides my dads and I can't learn on that one. Do the automatics and manuals drive like each other? Like if I did most of my test drives in an automatic and ended up buying a manual would ti be completely different? I know that seems pretty stupid and I doubt I would do that, but would the ride be comparable?
yes it's a pretty big difference, unless you are older, have a bad knee or injury (wrist/knee/etc), or are a female. No offense to automatic drivers, but if you are into performance, especially buying a 420hp 'muscle car', then why would you go auto?

Not the best video (wasn't comfortable with the power yet), filmed one month after I got my GT

Last edited by Jas5; 08-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.