Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constant "chirping" squeak from rear suspension- LCA'S?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:04 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Default Constant "chirping" squeak from rear suspension- LCA'S?

Hey guys, I am having this constant chirp/squeak sound coming from my rear suspension.. i put in roush rear lowering springs about 6 months ago and the sound has gotten bad... do i need to replace my LCA'S?

It is the same sound as in this video except much worse, especially when driving at constant highway speeds.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:46 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like LCA's. Still on the stockers? When you lower the car, you should loosen the LCA mounting points so they can take a new set, then re-tighten them - otherwise the bushings will have a little bit of preload.

Either LCA's, UCA, Panhard or shocks, in order of likelihood.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

I have an issue similar to this where my suspension makes god awful creaking noises if I hit some heavy bumps or womp on it hard. It's gotta be something related to what you're saying but mine happens if I'm at high speed and hit a bump, if I'm at high speeds at all (100+), or even if I'm going slow but on a really rough road.

Like I didn't let it bother me at first but now with more ownership and driving of the car it bothers me more and more. And I had my dad drive my car too and he barely pushed it but I could clearly hear it from driving behind him in another car.

I don't know if the suspension needs to be lubed or what. As a side note, I put in Ford Racing K Springs but it did it before the springs were installed too, so that's not it. I've also heard this could be the exhaust hanger.

I feel like bringing it somewhere is just gonna be a waste of money because they're just going to point out replacing stuff or not know anything at all.

Also at low speeds with the wheels turned all the way if I just keep going in circles there's a weird noise like vibration/creek type at the front wheels.

Sorry if I derailed the thread a bit.

Last edited by mustangspotential; 08-25-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Yea still on the stock LCA's, i think i must of killed the bushings with the lowering springs and not loosening the LCA mounting points when installing them. Think i'm going to order a set of j&m ones eventually and see if that solves the issue. The noise definitely got progressively worse after the springs went in.

@mustangspotential- My issue started with bumps and a womp on the gas with the stock springs and then got much worse this over this summer after the springs went in. I totally hear you on bringing it into someone and not knowing exactly what it is and costing me a fortune replacing a bunch of stuff. I think I'm going to try new lower control arms to start and go from there. Definitely going to check the exhaust hangers too.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM
white08gt
1st Gear Member

while you are putting new LCA's, you need an adjustable panhard bar if you didn't already put one on. i have the Roush 1" lowering springs, Che LCA's and Edelbrock adjustable PHB. my car sat off center a half inch after lowering, real noticeable with 285/40/18's. centered and drove it around for about 5 miles to settle, then centered again. perfect ever since, just make sure the PHB can be adjusted on the car. while you are at it check to make sure you clocked the springs.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:15 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

When you installed the lowering springs, did you tighten the lower control arms with car jacked up by the frame or the rear axle? If you jacked up from the frame, then the squeaking is your control arm bushings binding up. You need to tighten the control arm bolts with the suspension at normal ride height (with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension). Jack up the rear and put it on jack stands under the rear axle so the weight of the vehicle is on the rear suspension, then loosen the control arm bolts. Bounce the rear end up/down a couple times to let the control arm bushings settle. Then tighten the bolts back up to factory specs. You should be good to go after that.

Good luck...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

don't recall touching the lower control arms when installing the springs just jacked it up and put the frame jack stands so the axle hung free and then unbolted the shocks at the bottom..
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

I do not mean to hijack this at all, but for everyone's info, is this something that needs to be done regardless of whether I'm experiencing symptoms? Stock LCAs here and I didn't touch them while doing my springs. No problems so far...
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Seagulls dude. Sounds like seagulls. Lol

Check the bushings and shocks. Lowered vehicles wear out the stock shocks.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SLVRSTNG06
don't recall touching the lower control arms when installing the springs just jacked it up and put the frame jack stands so the axle hung free and then unbolted the shocks at the bottom..
By installing lowering springs you have changed the angle of the control arms. The bushings don’t slip/slide in the control arms. They are glued in if they are stock control arms. The bolts holding the control arms in are on pretty darn tight, so the bushings don’t slide in the control arm mount on the frame/axle either. Since you didn’t loosen the control arm bolts first you have probably put the control arm bushings in a bind/twist and the squeaking you hear is the rubber bushings screaming in pain. I’d put the axle on jack stands again, loosen the control arm bolts, bounce the rear a few times to let the bushings untwist and settle and then tighten everything back up again. I’d also use a torque wrench when tightening them back up. I don’t know the spec for your year ride. Someone else on the forum might if you don’t have the factory service manual. Good luck...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Constant "chirping" squeak from rear suspension- LCA'S?