Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Axle Back System is too loud! Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vegasrph98
Well, after searching and searching and listening to endless sound clips on YouTube and American Muscle......I thought I found the perfect Axle Back system for my 2014 Mustang Convertible 3.7L V6.

I ordered a Gibson Axle Back (Part 319010) that was made for any 2011-2014 Mustang GT (2.50") or GT500 (with modification) and was going to have a shop modify the ends to install these on my 2014 Mustang V6. Gibson Rep was super nice and I worked/talked with him for several weeks leading up to the purchase.

The pipe diameter on the V6 is = 2.25"
The pipe diameter on the GT is = 2.50"
The pipe diameter on the GT500 is = 2.75"

The muffler shop began the install by cutting off the flanges on the Gibson Axle Back System, and needed to modify the ends to attach to my factory Cat-back pipe. Install went smooth, fit and finish was TOP NOTCH. The mufflers are MUCH smaller than the stock mufflers (hide perfectly under the rear valence) and the new exhaust tips are 4" double wall stainless with a nice high polish on them. The Gibson system fills out the Mustang rear valence cutouts perfectly and looked awesome.

The sound. Well, it sounded amazing at start up. Nice deep burble/grumble at idle, much deeper and bass note at idle. Honestly, sounded like a 2005/2006 GTO.....I used to have one. Once I started to drive, it was a whole different animal! Sounded like a NASCAR. Way too loud for me. Some guys would love the sound, to me its just too much.

I would say the sound was like a Borla S-Type/ATAK or Roush. The Gibson has a DEEP/BASS tone to it......no rasp or pop that I could hear.....but the overall volume on WOT and take off was way too much for me. At cruising speeds (above 50mph) I could just barely hear it......just little rumble from the tailpipes. Once you gave it gas......it just GROWLED too much for me.

Again, I have a convertible and that may be the issue. In a coupe, it might not be as loud. For me, I was looking for something maybe 1-step louder than stock and I got something more than I can handle.

So, I am out the $150 for the install of the Gibson system and REINSTALL of my stock system.......plus the $300 it cost for the Gibson system. Shoot!

My plan is to list the Gibson system up for sale and start looking at the Borla Touring or Magnaflow system.
I've never had a chance to hear a Gibson system in person, but by the way you explained it I have a pretty good image on how this exhaust sounds! I had the Borla ATAK on my 2011 GT and it was exactly the same way. It sounded great at idle, really good cruising and then at WOT it was ear piercing. It has a little bit of drone on the highway and just wasn't what I was looking for! The Gibson, Borla ATAK etc.. is the perfect exhaust system for somebody who wants to have a loud bad *** sounding Mustang. (I know this sounds crazy and who the heck wouldn't? It's just that I daily drive my Mustang and I wanted something a little calmer like the OP)

Me on the other hand, I'm a simple kinda guy. I just wanted something a little bit louder than stock, that gave my Mustang a nice rumble! So after some re-search and listening to all the Exhaust Sound Clips we created here at AmericanMuscle, I found the perfect exhaust. The Magnaflow Street Axleback! This has the legendary "Mustang" rumble and isn't extremely loud. It's very deep and the car sounds like it's off when cruising in 6th gear on the highway! I think we're cut from the same tree and I think you'll absolutely love this system. Remember, this is just my opinion and a quick recommendation for you!

I hope this helps your decision! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 08-30-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Keep it loud!!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

CORSA. As close to perfect as I have found.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:10 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

A V6 that sounds like a NASCAR car seems like I need to get some for my GT then because that's the sound I want. Load some sound clips for us please?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by calistang05
A V6 that sounds like a NASCAR car seems like I need to get some for my GT then because that's the sound I want. Load some sound clips for us please?
I had the exhaust on the Mustang for a few hours only, then went back and had the stockers put back on. I did take an iphone picture of the rear showing the tips and how great they looked.

Overall, the sound was too loud for me........here is the best way I can describe it:
IDLE = A+ (nice deep rumble/gurgle)

Pulling away from a stop sign or stop light = Deep throaty tone, little resonance (I have a convertible) and LOUD.....too much for me.

Once I got up to 45-50MPH = B+ still loud, but just not for me.

WOT = NASCAR (not kidding) or ROUSH/ATAK similarity. LOUD

I think I am going to look for someone wanting to dump a FACTORY/STOCK V6 system off a MANUAL/STICK Mustang........or Borla Touring....or Corsa.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Keep it loud!!
Maybe back in the day......but this is my DD and I have to take my 3yr old daughter to/from pre-school. When I took her for a ride, she held BOTH hands over her ears and said, "Daddy! Whats wrong with your car?"
Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vegasrph98
Maybe back in the day......but this is my DD and I have to take my 3yr old daughter to/from pre-school. When I took her for a ride, she held BOTH hands over her ears and said, "Daddy! Whats wrong with your car?"
Haha...that's cute. You should have said, "Absolutely nothing, sweetheart. Nothing at all..." and looked wistfully into the sunrise...
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

Corsa. All day, everyday.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
Corsa. All day, everyday.
This seems to be a VERY popular suggestion. I got a PM from a nice guy offering to help me out getting the Corsa system. So, I will have to look into it a little more. A Borla Touring will be my #2 at this point.

Anyone close to Las Vegas have a V6 with the Corsa axle backs? I would love to hear it.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 AM
SoonerStang

Pypes M80s right before the axle. Will quiet your exhaust so it doesn't drive you crazy but still screams when you need it to. I'm running SSS axle backs for the mufflers with Pypes longtubes and off road x pipe.

Quick Reply: New Axle Back System is too loud! Now what?