Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Axle Back System is too loud! Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Default New Axle Back System is too loud! Now what?

Well, after searching and searching and listening to endless sound clips on YouTube and American Muscle......I thought I found the perfect Axle Back system for my 2014 Mustang Convertible 3.7L V6.

I ordered a Gibson Axle Back (Part 319010) that was made for any 2011-2014 Mustang GT (2.50") or GT500 (with modification) and was going to have a shop modify the ends to install these on my 2014 Mustang V6. Gibson Rep was super nice and I worked/talked with him for several weeks leading up to the purchase.

The pipe diameter on the V6 is = 2.25"
The pipe diameter on the GT is = 2.50"
The pipe diameter on the GT500 is = 2.75"

The muffler shop began the install by cutting off the flanges on the Gibson Axle Back System, and needed to modify the ends to attach to my factory Cat-back pipe. Install went smooth, fit and finish was TOP NOTCH. The mufflers are MUCH smaller than the stock mufflers (hide perfectly under the rear valence) and the new exhaust tips are 4" double wall stainless with a nice high polish on them. The Gibson system fills out the Mustang rear valence cutouts perfectly and looked awesome.

The sound. Well, it sounded amazing at start up. Nice deep burble/grumble at idle, much deeper and bass note at idle. Honestly, sounded like a 2005/2006 GTO.....I used to have one. Once I started to drive, it was a whole different animal! Sounded like a NASCAR. Way too loud for me. Some guys would love the sound, to me its just too much.

I would say the sound was like a Borla S-Type/ATAK or Roush. The Gibson has a DEEP/BASS tone to it......no rasp or pop that I could hear.....but the overall volume on WOT and take off was way too much for me. At cruising speeds (above 50mph) I could just barely hear it......just little rumble from the tailpipes. Once you gave it gas......it just GROWLED too much for me.

Again, I have a convertible and that may be the issue. In a coupe, it might not be as loud. For me, I was looking for something maybe 1-step louder than stock and I got something more than I can handle.

So, I am out the $150 for the install of the Gibson system and REINSTALL of my stock system.......plus the $300 it cost for the Gibson system. Shoot!

My plan is to list the Gibson system up for sale and start looking at the Borla Touring or Magnaflow system.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:17 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

What you're saying makes no sense. Good luck with your quest for a perfect exhaust. LOL
Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Its hard to explain, I know. But the sound from this axle back system was not what I was looking for. I wanted something a little louder than stock, but I got something MUCH louder than stock.....too loud for me. Again, sounds like the ROUSH or BORLA ATAK. The muffler shop said its an aggressive muffler set up, no packing or baffling and more straight thru design.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

You might prefer Borla Touring exhaust. I love it. Straight bolt on for a GT. Good rumble at idle. Deep tone. Good growl through normal acceleration and you forget about it during cruising. But, when I jump on it it turns into a roar that I love. Some mufflers (most I think) get louder over time. Like a 1000 mile break in period or something. Mine did. I came from Flowmasters on a coupe to putting the Borla's on my Vert. Love.

.........but I'm planning on doing the Boss exhaust kit and getting the straight pipes out the side.

Regardless, check out the Borla Touring axlebacks. Might also check on the Bullitt exhaust.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Just a little louder than stock means the GTAs would have worked fine in your quest.
I feel bad for you... a set of cherry bomb after the cats would quiet things down a bit but it's more money spent so that point is moot I'm afraid.
I have a Gibson system on my F150 and I love it... not loud, just the perfect low rumble.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

I almost went the GT take off route, plenty of them around for cheap. Or, a set of GT500 take offs would have been an idea too. But, I was concerned they would be too subtle and not notice a difference. I wish I would have tried the GT/GT500 take offs first, would have been a LOT less expensive adventure. I am out about $450 and have my stockers back on.

Anyone in Las Vegas or Arizona/So Cal want to donate a set of GT take offs or GT500 take offs to a good cause? Heck, I would even try the manual/stick shift V6 stock mufflers at this point. Anyone have some laying around they want to get rid of?

Last edited by Vegasrph98; 08-29-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Another vote for GTAs here. GF has them on her 09 gtcs and they sound like what you are wanting. That said, I should maybe tell you from one mustang guy to another, that she laughs at her own exhaust (too tame for her) and is wanting something closer to my setup.

Good luck
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Richard Cox

I have a pair of Flowmaster Pro-series Hushpower Axlebacks with 3,000 miles on them. Part number is 819109. If they'll fit, they're yours for $300. Cost me $500+ new.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Raydin27

Sorry to hear, if you lived anywhere near me (im in Ontario) i would give you my stockers to try out to see if you like the sound. best of luck to you! and i don't think they will fit in my luggage for when i come down your way in a few weeks.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Tommyc
1st Gear Member

MANY of us didn't get it right after the 1st attempt.
But I would wait a while, too loud can become just right.

Quick Reply: New Axle Back System is too loud! Now what?