Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Axle Back System is too loud! Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 PM
white08gt
1st Gear Member

look at MBRP, just like the Corsa but about half the price with no drone. lifetime warranty and very high quality.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by white08gt
look at MBRP, just like the Corsa but about half the price with no drone. lifetime warranty and very high quality.
**Update**
I sold the Gibson Axle Back locally to a GT guy, lost a few bucks, but I was able to sell it for $200. He seemed very happy to get it for such a great price and liked the overall fit and finish of the Gibson Axle Back.

**2nd Update**
I pulled the trigger on the MBRP Axle Back. Autoanything.com had it for $329.80 - 20% (special discount today only) = $263.84 free ship!
Part #S7242AL

I am crossing my fingers here.......I hope this is what I am looking for sound-wise. MBRP seems to be very "mellow" and promises NO DRONE. Once I have it installed, I will post my thoughts.

Keep in mind.......I have a 3.7L V6 CONVERTIBLE......the sound/volume is MUCH different in a Mustang with no roof (down) or cloth roof (up) and I think ANY axle back system is going to sound "louder/deeper" than on a COUPE.

Last edited by Vegasrph98; 09-07-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Ordered the MBRP axle back
Old 09-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Default MBRP Axle back has arrived!

Ok......going to continue my thread, didn't want to start a new one. I ordered the MBRP axle back "installer series" Part # S7242AL from Autoanything.com and it arrived today.

Heading over in the morning to get it installed...........fingers crossed!!

I hope this is what I am looking for sound-wise.

Here are some pics of what came in the box:

Name:  DSCN0197_zpse3f79d4c.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0203_zpseeb2f09f.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0201_zpsde0ae484.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0204_zpsab906b65.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  49.7 KB

The overall finish seems "OK"......nothing spectacular, but this is the aluminized series, and not the stainless steel series. The welds are pretty good, could have been maybe a little cleaner, but look good. The TIPS are HUGE and very nice. Much better than the factory/stock tips. But, for $260 shipped I am happy with how they look. Now.......let's see how they sound!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Can I get an update?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:29 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Odd my s-types on my gt with o/r x-pipe is just about right. When cruising you here a rumble. When accelerating its there but not in your face and when on it you know your on it. And my 2 year old son is always telling me go daddy go he loves the sound. I guess if you start young they love it. He has rode in my car since day one and never had any problems. My wifes jetta he is always saying go in and even if you floor it he is still saying go lol.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
Can I get an update?
Yes you can!

Got the MBRP axle backs installed today at a local shop, took them about 1 hour total. They had a tough time with the tips, since they are clamp-on and didn't come welded on. The tips look great, they are MUCH nicer than stock.

Sound? Yes, this is what I was looking for! Now, this MBRP axle back might not be for everyone......but I have a convertible and its just right sound-wise. Start up is a tad louder vs stock, once it reaches warm idle sounds just about the same as stock.....but a little deeper/more tone.

Pulling away from a stop its got a nice deep growl to it, no cabin resonance at all.....thank GOD! I would say its a few decibels louder vs stock at take off and thru gears 1, 2, 3 on my automatic trans just pulling away under slow or medium acceleration. Once I get to 4th gear the tone/sound goes down considerably to just a hint above stock sound. NO DRONE AT ALL.

Cruising down the road at 55-75mph NO DRONE and barely louder than stock. If you floor it.....it barks a little and gets loud, but its a very composed or refined loud (if that makes sense). I would compare it to a 350z or BMW M3 at WOT. Not a deafening loud or "wake the neighbors" loud at all.

Overall, its what I was looking for! Just a nice mellow growl that makes my 3.7L sound a bit more sinister and doesn't ruin my "top down cruise" or make my ears bleed. LOL

Now, I have a AIRAID CAI on my car too. This is probably helping make the MBRP a little louder than w/o a CAI. I like this set up. MBRP + AIRAID.

Again, the MBRP video online (axle back) sounds just about right and that's what made me buy this kit. Its NOT obnoxious, wont wake the dead, or make your ears ring......just a nice mellow deep tone that makes my V6 sound better.

I am happy. Heck, for $263 this is a great deal on axle backs that hide up under the rear valence and the tips are 4" double wall stainless. Just don't expect a super loud sound......what you will get is just a few db's louder than stock set up.

Last edited by Vegasrph98; 09-19-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clix813
Odd my s-types on my gt with o/r x-pipe is just about right. When cruising you here a rumble. When accelerating its there but not in your face and when on it you know your on it. And my 2 year old son is always telling me go daddy go he loves the sound. I guess if you start young they love it. He has rode in my car since day one and never had any problems. My wifes jetta he is always saying go in and even if you floor it he is still saying go lol.
To each their own, I guess. I have a 3.7L and the Gibson set up was way too loud for me. The MBRP is probably closer to a GT 5.0 stock sound or maybe a little louder.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:26 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

I cried when you compared the 3.7 v6 to a LS2.... I had a '05 GTO for close to 7 years, and there is no comparision. Can't even compare them to the Coyote 5.0 either, totally different sound, but unmistakably a mean v8.
FWIW the GT and GT500 both have 2.75" pipes. I'm running S-Types and no resonators on my GT Vert and I find it perfect. Not really "loud" but plenty authoritative. I'm glad you found what you needed for your convertible. It might be different that louder is more okay on a v8 though. If I had a v6 stang, I'd probably keep that thing as quiet as possible.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 09-20-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Vegasrph98
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I cried when you compared the 3.7 v6 to a LS2.... I had a '05 GTO for close to 7 years, and there is no comparision. Can't even compare them to the Coyote 5.0 either, totally different sound, but unmistakably a mean v8.
FWIW the GT and GT500 both have 2.75" pipes. I'm running S-Types and no resonators on my GT Vert and I find it perfect. Not really "loud" but plenty authoritative. I'm glad you found what you needed for your convertible. It might be different that louder is more okay on a v8 though. If I had a v6 stang, I'd probably keep that thing as quiet as possible.
The Gibson axle back totally transormed the 3.7L into something else. At idle, it sounded like my stock GTO. Thats my comparison, not trying to take away anything from the famous LS2 motor. At WOT and hard acceleration it was waaaaaay too much for a convertible (my opinion) and for some people it wouldnt be too much.

The MBRP is very mellow. I had 2 strangers today tell me it sounded great. For me its perfect. For others, it would be too mellow. The MBRP is Classic Rock and the Gibson was Heavy Metal.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 AM
miner999r
1st Gear Member

I went with the Ford Boss 302 exhaust mod with QTP electric cut outs because I didn't want to get stuck with too much of a good thing. Loud gets old on a long road trip and I like long drives. With the cut outs I can dial in anything I want from wide open to stock anytime I want. I like to maintain options.

Quick Reply: New Axle Back System is too loud! Now what?