Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do?! (pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

yea tuning the engine basically makes the engine optimized to run on the octane you pick, say a 93 octane tune will take full advantage of the fuel and get every bit of horsepower it can from it, within reason because there could always be a margin of error.

as your car is now filling it with 93 is just wasted $$ because it isnt setup to run it and does just fine on 87
Old 09-02-2013, 01:05 AM
Googleme

@808muscle cheers to that!

@Lem-06 ah I see...i guess that makes sense but with that all youre doing is increasing compression ratio right? Although that does up your hp ive heard people saying theyve tuned their 300hp stang to 400 with just a tune and that seems a bit much...probably lying to gullable people i guess.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:46 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Googleme
mmm i see. Engine tuning is a concept i dont know anything about yet. Tried to google it but nothing really comes up...apparently you can up your HP just by getting the engine tuned up? dont quite get that.

that info was helpful so i think i will follow your advice. My display says im getting like 13 mpg lol but i shift around 2.5 or 3...i hear shifting at 2k or below is bad...for example being in 4th gear at 1.5k and 40mph is rough on the engine? so many people dont know what theyre talking about its hard to know who to listen to lol.

Anyways thanks man

EDIT: looking at your sig i think ill for sure follow your advice lol looks like its coming from experience
Tunes unlock alot of potential, but they DO NOT take 300 HP and turn it into 400HP. My Mustang bone stock ran 380HP on the dyno, after a tune and a CAI it ran 405HP. Its a huge improvement that you can really feel in the seat of your pants. Its not the compression ratio, Its the fuel delivery, the Air to fuel ratio, Throttle response, many aspects go into making a tune functional. But they are well worth it!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Googleme

interesting...ill look more into it thanks for the base.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

1. Assume that sooner or later you'll lurch the car a couple of feet unexpectedly. Don't worry about why it might happen.

2. Put the transmission in either 1st or reverse, choosing the gear that would lurch you away from the greater consequences.

Norm
Old 09-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Googleme

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
1. Assume that sooner or later you'll lurch the car a couple of feet unexpectedly. Don't worry about why it might happen.

2. Put the transmission in either 1st or reverse, choosing the gear that would lurch you away from the greater consequences.

Norm
#2 seems like common sense but never thought of that sadly. Anyways im thinking ill just use the ebrake and never do that again because think about it, what situation can you think of that having the car in gear and the ebrake up will solve, but the ebrake alone wont?

I can't think of one and trust me since that day i've thought long and hard.

EDIT: what if I put it in 4th gear or something? maybe that would work?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

yea if they are claiming a 100hp jump using only a tune on our motors, call their asses out and tell them they are full of it.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Googleme

Well Lem this is what I had in mind at the moment. Sometimes I browse craigslist and look at cars or whatever.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...010962386.html

I'm not sure what the rules are on posting external links on these forums, but I see youre online and the link is obviously valid and not gonna hand out a virus so ill give it a try for now.

EDIT: as im looking at it again this CL post is a joke for a couple reasons

Last edited by Googleme; 09-03-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Googleme
#2 seems like common sense but never thought of that sadly. Anyways im thinking ill just use the ebrake and never do that again because think about it, what situation can you think of that having the car in gear and the ebrake up will solve, but the ebrake alone wont?

I can't think of one and trust me since that day i've thought long and hard.
Over time and use, P-brake cables can stretch (you end up not applying as much brake as the handle position makes you think you are), or they can corrode, fray, and individual wires can break (the cable then unwinds as you pull on it, so it isn't as rigid, for the same end result as a stretched cable).

Engine compression braking (what leaving the car in gear relies on) is not subject to a similar level of deterioration until the motor is in such bad condition that you already know you need to get it rebuilt. You do want either 1st or reverse, as those gears give engine compression the best mechanical advantage. Other gears provide less braking effect, but are at least better than nothing.

Water can get inside the cable, and although it's probably an alien weather condition to SoCal residents, if it's below 32°F it then freezes and locks the cable in whatever position it was left in. And at least the early S107 Mustangs have a reputation for letting just this happen. Then you have a P-brake that you either can't use because it's "stuck off" or a car that you can't drive because it's "stuck applied". I'll take "stuck off" every time.

On an incline I wouldn't ever trust the P-brake alone and if it's steep enough I don't trust 1st/reverse by itself either. Awareness of conditions.

Norm
Old 09-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Googleme

Hmm never knew any of that. You're right we don't have the freezing problem but we definitely have steep hills on SoCal. Ill just make it into a habit, leave myself a note on the steering wheel if I have to idk, ill figure it out thanks

Quick Reply: What should I do?! (pics!)