Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

that wasnt so hard

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

today i went under again loosen(on abit tight) the drain plug and pull it out as much as i can without taking it off. Threads on the plug looks normal didnt look stripped, so this time i finger tighten it then add an 1/4 of a nut turn with a ratchet for tightening. Even though its 1/4 of a nut turn its super tight. Thoroughly wiped off the grease on the plug and the area around it, started the engine checking for leaks and it didnt(good sign). Earlier i took the car out for a spin rev it up pretty high, when i came back home i went under again and see no leaks. But when im wiping with my finger nail between the drain plug edges with paper towel i got tiny tiny lines of oil. After couple of hours went down again and did the finger nail wipe again and same thing! Whats up with that? plz help

Last edited by winkawak; 09-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a torque value for the drain plug. I believe "super tight" may be a bit too much.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:13 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
There's a torque value for the drain plug. I believe "super tight" may be a bit too much.
sorry for the bad description what i meant to say is its abit tighter than snug. anyone have the answers to my previous question? or is everyone partying it up on labor day?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If there was any dirt on the o-ring/gasket on the plug or on the mating surface of the pan, then you'may get a bit of weeping. If it's leaving a puddle on the ground, then you'll need to drain, clean the plug and drain hole area and refill. Worse-comes-to-worse, get a new drain plug (although with all of my vehicles and over 100 oil changes, I only had to replace a drain plug once).
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If there was any dirt on the o-ring/gasket on the plug or on the mating surface of the pan, then you'may get a bit of weeping. If it's leaving a puddle on the ground, then you'll need to drain, clean the plug and drain hole area and refill. Worse-comes-to-worse, get a new drain plug (although with all of my vehicles and over 100 oil changes, I only had to replace a drain plug once).
are there other causes? i did wipe down the plug the day i change my oil and the pan mating surface. Im not getting drips or oil on the plug, just tinie tiny amount when i run my fingers nails around the drain plug edge with paper towel. to clarify, im not getting tinie tiny oil all around the plug just couple of spots on the circle(edge of the plug). Isnt the drain plug suppose to be dry? could it be the seal/gasket?

Last edited by winkawak; 09-03-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:51 AM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

I hope you meant 5 3/4 quarts. The manual says 6 quarts with the filter changed, I put in 5.9 quarts and the oil is at the top of the hash marks when level.

The oil you see a the plug was probably just what got caught between the pan and the gasket, it will slowly come out then stop. Just watch for drips on the ground, no drips and you should be fine.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Did you remember the flush the engine by hooking up the hose and letting water drain through it?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Did you remember the flush the engine by hooking up the hose and letting water drain through it?
Please, no. We don't need another one of these...

..and, btw, you forgot to mention that the engine should be running with the hose connected... Not that I'm trying to instigate...

Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
JimC

(And to to the original poster wink, the engine flush is a joke so don't try it! You can probably find the thread where someone actually did it)
Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmdpg
I hope you meant 5 3/4 quarts. The manual says 6 quarts with the filter changed, I put in 5.9 quarts and the oil is at the top of the hash marks when level.

The oil you see a the plug was probably just what got caught between the pan and the gasket, it will slowly come out then stop. Just watch for drips on the ground, no drips and you should be fine.
mine is a gt, thats what i thought............i wipe it clean but i still get that tinie tiny oil trace when i wipe it with my finger nail...............i also put an paper towel under the drain plug over night and not one drop or oil on the plug, maybe im just overly concern. I think i might of crush the gasket abit when i slightly over tighten the first time(not stripped). The gasket is integrated with the bolt no?

Originally Posted by JimC
(And to to the original poster wink, the engine flush is a joke so don't try it! You can probably find the thread where someone actually did it)
lol i might be a car noob but im not retarded........thanks anyways for the heads up. sorry for the one who did though

Quick Reply: that wasnt so hard