Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

that wasnt so hard

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Default that wasnt so hard

Did my first oil change at 6k today, this was my first time. The whole process took me 3.5 hrs lol, took my time and i gave that oil pan a good 20min to drain. Unscrewing nuts from a weird angle had me confused for a second, right tighty and left loosey is reversed under the car. Oil came out darkish brown, glade i didnt wait any longer. Funny though within that 6k mile, i only wot about 10 times and other times just about 3/4. Then again i want to wait around 5-6k and make sure i break everything in before using full synthetic.

Taking old oil filter off was abit messy, oil was dripped all over the cover. I didnt have a zip bag at the time so i prepared a plastic bag with some paper and cardboard in it but it didnt fit under the oil filter space. How did you guys manage to use zip bag under the oil filter? Added 7 & 3/4 quart of mobil 1 full synthetic into the engine, oil level came out alittle bit under max. I was so relieved when i didnt hear or see any noise or leaks. I was planning to fish tonight (snook season just opened) but so tired from work, guess ill see how it runs tomorrow night.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

oil changing is childs play on these cars..
i just roll the drivers side front wheel up on a ramp..filter is easy to reach then..
took me 10 minutes to do mine..
will be putting fresh mobile 1 in 4 weeks time just before winter storage
Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

After a few times you'l have it down to about 30-40 minutes including cleanup.

Pay no attention to oil color; it has no bearing on whether an oil still maintains it's lubricating and protective properties. Oil can go black within 1k-2k miles on some cars and still pass the oil analysis testing at 15k miles. Synthetics are fine for 10k-15k miles minimum and blends for up to 8k miles. Testing very often extends those. For me, if I'm spending the time to pull a sample and pay for testing at 10k miles, I may as well just change the oil and filter at that time.

The beauty of changing your own oil is that it gives you the opportunity to look over the car, get more familiar with it and to be able to recognize minor issues from visual inspections over time before they become catastrophic.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Chazman_1962
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
After a few times you'l have it down to about 30-40 minutes including cleanup.

Pay no attention to oil color; it has no bearing on whether an oil still maintains it's lubricating and protective properties. Oil can go black within 1k-2k miles on some cars and still pass the oil analysis testing at 15k miles. Synthetics are fine for 10k-15k miles minimum and blends for up to 8k miles. Testing very often extends those. For me, if I'm spending the time to pull a sample and pay for testing at 10k miles, I may as well just change the oil and filter at that time.

The beauty of changing your own oil is that it gives you the opportunity to look over the car, get more familiar with it and to be able to recognize minor issues from visual inspections over time before they become catastrophic.
I agree 100% I do all the work on my own cars, well as much as possible due to work schedules but it does get you familure with the vehicle, now a days youtube has videos for everything, just take your time and you will do it right and have the satisfaction that you did it right. keep on wrenching
Old 09-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
oil changing is childs play on these cars..
i just roll the drivers side front wheel up on a ramp..filter is easy to reach then..
took me 10 minutes to do mine..
will be putting fresh mobile 1 in 4 weeks time just before winter storage
I think the 2013 has a shield or something similar that has to be removed before you can change the oil. It's not like your model.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:52 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

I'm planning to get exhaust for my first mod within a month. Does anyone know a exhaust that sounds like the roush a/b (no drone) for 13' gt? $479 is a bit pricy for me, I can make a month of payment with that money. Btw will backing up on a rhino ramp provide sufficient room for installation? Also Is there anything I should look out for as a first timer?

Last edited by winkawak; 09-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the '13 is set up like the 05 thru 10, Rhino ramps will work fine. That's what I use on my '07.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:50 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

does 13' gt have gasket/ crush washer on the drain plug? i didnt see one when i took it out.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

There is a shield on the front to drop, gives you access to the oil filter. You can reach it from the top without dropping the panel. That was the only part that was new to me. I don't think I will remove panel next time.

I think it took me 30 minutes start to finish to change my oil. I waited for the car to tell me, it was 10k.

I find it therapeutic changing my oil.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by winkawak
does 13' gt have gasket/ crush washer on the drain plug? i didnt see one when i took it out.
also have another question addition to that.........im getting abit nervous/paranoid now as i read about not over tighten the drain plug. I finger tighten it then added another half to 3/4 of a turn with a 6" ratchet handle if i remember correctly. Tonight i finally got the chance to get drive the car and drove it pretty hard for 20minutes to see if i have any leaks. So far i do not have any leaks but im still afraid i might of stripped the oil pan thread or plug. Is there other ways to know besides waiting till the next oil change?

Last edited by winkawak; 09-02-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: that wasnt so hard