Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad gas pedal ? WTF.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Default bad gas pedal ? WTF.....

sry to open a new thread but that's a whole WTF moment for me. I never heard of a gas pedal going bad?

So i got my car back from the shop cause i suspected a bad tune, the guy that does the tuning logged in some data while driving, and said that he presses the gas pedal but it doesn't respond immediately, it takes a while.

He said you press the gas but it doesn't log in until you get to a certain level and that's when it kicks in and goes. It doesn't always happen so he said, gas pedal is starting to mess up. I noticed a little bit of that before the pro charger kit but it was mostly while iam getting on it.

Is it even possible that they can go bad? if i change it, what else do i need ?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

you know you have been driving your mustang properly when you wear out the gas pedal lol

never actually heard of that, what part of the mechanism is breaking? Are the 05 computer throttle control or cable?

Last edited by Andy13186; 09-05-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

It's 100% possible. The newer models use throttle by wire. In other words a set of sensors measures the input at the gas pedal and a second set of sensors along with a servo motor move your throttle blade.

If they fail completely your car will go into failsafe mode and you won't get it over 20mph. You need to do some data logging to figure out if it is the pedal position sensors or the throttle position sensors that are going bad. Don't take this the wrong way but if you didn't know it existed I would let a professional diagnose and repair the part.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
you know you have been driving your mustang properly when you wear out the gas pedal lol

never actually heard of that, what part of the mechanism is breaking? Are the 05+ computer throttle control or cable?
ROFL you damn right.

Not sure to be honest, they didnt mention anything about a bad sensor or anything like that, he just said that the gas pedal is worn out
Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I think the guys' pulling your leg.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
I think the guys' pulling your leg.
More like yanking your chain. That or he really doesn't know enough about the S197 to make ME feel comfortable.

There's a throttle recalibration procedure in your OM. If that doesn't work, then I'd check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). After that I'd suspect the tune (and from what your guy said, I'd REALLY suspect the tune).
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
More like yanking your chain. That or he really doesn't know enough about the S197 to make ME feel comfortable.

There's a throttle recalibration procedure in your OM. If that doesn't work, then I'd check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). After that I'd suspect the tune (and from what your guy said, I'd REALLY suspect the tune).
sigh, thx for the info. What do you mean in my OM? how would i go about doing it? I am also going to check the throttle position sensor tomorrow, which i really freaking hope that's the issue since it should be easy to change . If all fails, I am gonna spend the extra $300 and have a different shop just check it out for me and dyno tune it. Goddamn it
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

This makes some sense .....

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...nyone-try.html
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Seriously dude, quite screwing around with a local guy and go with a s197 expert like Brenspeed. They tuned my set up....blower, cams, longtubes, CAI and auto trans the first time. No check engine lights, no flashing O/D light, just nailed it the first time. They are THE experts with blown mustangs. Call them or risk your motor. A broken gas pedal!!! Yeah its possible so but freaking unlikely.

This link has pictures of what our pedal looks like on the inside. Its a very informative thread. I highly doubt anything broke in there.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-must-see.html
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I'm glad all you internet master mechanics are so quick to condemn a real mechanic because you don't understand how you car works. Let me explain.

The Accelerator Pedal Position sensor employs potentiometers to determine how far down you have the pedal pressed and in some models how hard you pressed it. These sensors are relatively simply with a power wire going into a coil a ground on the other side and a signal wire that "wipes" across them with the motion of the pedal. As you move the wiper the resistance of the circuit changes because you either shorten or lengthen the path to ground. This voltage signal is how the car knows where the throttle pedal is.

During normal operation your foot will hold the pedal in about the same spot a lot because it takes the same amount of input to cruise at 45 mph. This is usually at the top of the pedal travel Constantly being in this position causes what is called a "flat spot" in the sensor" or an area where it no longer reads. It used to happen to a vehicles TPS now it is also common in the APP. When the sensor malfunctions in this way the vehicle will hesitate because as the pedal moves through that position it has no idea you're applying the throttle until you pass the "flat spot."

You said you had this problem before the blower install and tune. So #1 you're an idiot for putting a supercharger on a car that wasn't running 100% plain and simple. #2 if you had the problem before, you had the problem before and it isn't the tune.

Last edited by Stevo86; 09-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: bad gas pedal ? WTF.....