Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad driving or a possible problem??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Bad driving or a possible problem??

Ive got just under 85k miles on my 07 GT.
Ive had a "problem" a few times with my car but I dont know if its just bad clutch practices or if it could be an actual issue with the drivetrain. Its happened several times over the past year but its not very frequent.
Basically the whole car starts to shake pretty badly when I give it gas from a stop. The last time it happened there was a notable clunking noise that accompanied the shaking. It seems that it only occurs if I give it a little bit of gas and let the clutch out. If I get on the gas harder it doesnt really happen.

Ive noticed a lot more noises and clunky sounds from the drive train but I also installed LCAs not too long ago so I kinda wrote everything off as that. The clutch doesnt slip it all and the tranny shifts pretty smoothly. The only other thing I have noticed with the drive train is under light//moderate acceleration there is a small bump or hesitation right around 2.5k-3k rpm in second or third gear. It doesnt always happen but it is fairly frequent. And its just barely noticeable but its always right around the same rpm and its just for a split second.

Sorry for the long paragraphs... Any advice?
Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Is it a new problem or is this a car you bought and occasionally you're noticing the issue? I'd say you might have someone else who can drive a manual that you trust drive it. I thought my GT500 was having problems and I have been driving sticks for decades. Then my wife wanted to drive it one day and she hadn't driven a stick in probably 5 years. She had zero problems. Obviously operator error. I was simply giving it too much gas which is the opposite of what my GT's have wanted.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

The same shaking situation also occasionally happens to my GT if I give it too little gas and don't engage the clutch just right from a stop. I blame it on a touchy clutch and my lack of concentration. The drivetrain also occasionally clunks when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear. Both have been happening since I bought the car off the showroom floor in Dec., 2004, and neither one has caused any mechanical problems.

The hesitation at 3K rpm is probably due to the charge motion control plates opening fully. Mine did the same thing with the stock tune. Installing a Bama 93 Race tune and a CAI eliminated it.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Ive got just under 85k miles on my 07 GT.
Ive had a "problem" a few times with my car but I dont know if its just bad clutch practices or if it could be an actual issue with the drivetrain. Its happened several times over the past year but its not very frequent.
Basically the whole car starts to shake pretty badly when I give it gas from a stop. The last time it happened there was a notable clunking noise that accompanied the shaking. It seems that it only occurs if I give it a little bit of gas and let the clutch out. If I get on the gas harder it doesnt really happen.

Ive noticed a lot more noises and clunky sounds from the drive train but I also installed LCAs not too long ago so I kinda wrote everything off as that. The clutch doesnt slip it all and the tranny shifts pretty smoothly. The only other thing I have noticed with the drive train is under light//moderate acceleration there is a small bump or hesitation right around 2.5k-3k rpm in second or third gear. It doesnt always happen but it is fairly frequent. And its just barely noticeable but its always right around the same rpm and its just for a split second.

Sorry for the long paragraphs... Any advice?
It sounds like clutch chatter for the first part of your post. Springs in the clutch disk or pressure plate most likely wearing out. OEM clutch on the Mustangs is average at best. I would look into upgrading the clutch soon.

Don't know about the bump or hesitation at 2.5-3K Rpm..unless the it's the Charge Motion valves opening...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...with-pics.html

These plates are made to help lower emissions and maintain low RPM power. Removing these plates increases top end power but some people have reported feeling less umph at lower RPM's
Old 10-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I had it happen several times today while driving around town. It seems to be slightly worse and more frequent. Im not really certain what it is though. The whole drivetrain just shakes rather hard but if I re-engage the clutch and gas it more/less it seems fine.

Any other ideas?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Same thing with my '07 GT at first. A change in my clutch engagement habits and it rarely, if ever, happens these days. The S197 drive train is pretty clunky from the get go.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:39 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

x2 on possible clutch chatter for your first question. Its been a while, but when I had clutch chatter on another vehicle, the symptoms were a strong shake in the vehicle while starting out. This was during the time where I was engaging the clutch and applying gas. If I pushed in the clutch and did the process again, it would start out just fine. If it is clutch chatter (and it could be at 85k), it will slowly get worse until the clutch is replaced. Here is a high level overview

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ma...h-chatter.html
Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I guess my next question is if I replace the clutch should I go with OEM or aftermarket?
Eventually Id like to get my car up to either ~350 HP NA or 450 boosted so stronger might be better.

Also, what cost would I be looking at? Ive never had to replace a clutch, is it something I could do at home or would I need a lift and more know-how?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:45 AM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Would it be the infamous rear tire hop?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
Would it be the infamous rear tire hop?
No, its only at low RPM just starting off fairly lightly. Plus I have LCAs.
Its definitely drive train related, clutch would make sense but I dont know enough about it to say for sure.
I suppose Ill start looking into replacing the clutch. What do the guys pushing 450-600HP normally run as far as a clutch goes? Boost my be an option within a year.

Quick Reply: Bad driving or a possible problem??