Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter...What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
....The only thing that worries me about a car cover + a tarp is the wind flapping around and the fact that I'll be uncovering it every week to start it up, drive it a few blocks, etc. I'd have to take it off, drive it, clean it, put it back on every week or so....
BAD idea. It's better to leave it untouched then to just start it up and/or drive it just a few blocks. If you're not taking it out for a good 10-20 mile jaunt to burn off any moisture, you're better off leaving it sit. Each one of those little, short start-ups will leave moisture in the engine block which will hasten acid build-up.

Originally Posted by RWDtech
could someone please provide an authentic, peer reviewed, or automotive/lubricants engineer to back up this whole "change the oil before storing the car"?? I can understand if the oil has over 3k miles on it, but I can't picture the harm in storing a car without NEW oil....
Same reason as I stated above about starting the engine once/week. Old oil will have already been fighting acids and doing other protective functions. Letting it sit to continue protecting your engine (yes, protection while shutdown is as important as when operating) when those protective "packages" may already be at or near depletion is simply foolhardy, considering how much we spend on our cars. You don't need day old oil before storage, just don't store it with oil that's near-due for being changed. And be sure that you burn off any moisture BEFORE you drive it into it's storage location.

Last edited by Nuke; 09-09-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
nolimits

I agree with Nuke 100%. Warming up the car will just create condensation on cool down each time.

I'd recommend a recent oil change, a full tank of gas, and under a quality car cover. Then just leave it alone.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I think the battery will go dead, whether it is driven around the block or just sits. At a minimum, the negative terminal needs to be removed from the post, and care taken so that it does not accidentally come in contact with any other metal. In other words, cover the terminal with plastic or some other non-conducting material. Better would be to pull the battery from the car and put it on a battery tender.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I think the battery will go dead, whether it is driven around the block or just sits...
+1 to the battery; something that was completely off my radar when I posted above.

Get a Battery Tender Jr. hooked up to the battery. If you have no AC power available at the storage location, pull the battery and store it in a cool, dry place, preferably with the Battery Tender. With no parasitic drain, it should be ok on it's own but we all know how THAT can go...

You can get Battery Tender Jr for about $25 -$30 on fleabay.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Okay so thanks for all your help everyone. From what I've gathered, I should basically have a full tank of gas, put some fuel stabilizer in it ahead of time (50 miles or so), and then remove the battery and put it on a tender. I shouldn't start it/drive it for the 3 months, just leave it alone. And covers are more harmful than good.

This all correct?

I priced storage units in my area, they were upwards of $200/mo for indoor storage. I'm not paying that.

As far as the oil goes, it has less than 1,000 miles on it now and will probably have about 4,000 miles~ when I go to put it away. But it was a Mobil 1 Full Syn oil change. Wouldn't it be fine to leave it that way (the oil will still be A++ I'm sure), and do the oil change again when I bring it back out?

I'm just so torn on a cover. I feel like it just sitting there for 3 months without one is a waste but I don't want to come back to mayhem when I go to take it out either. Maybe one of those overhead enclosed ones that don't actually touch the car?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Something else to consider with covers...it tells people your car is important. Some might take that as invitation to mess with it.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

do not start it and drive it round the block..
it will build up condensation in your motor..
i know coz i started my v6 once a month during the winter and the filler cap was saturated in water untill spring when i i got it on the road again..
Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 AM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

What about a car bubble? Lots of storage units have super cheap parking within the gates (for RV's and stuff). You could get a car bubble, that way the paint won't get touched, and be protected by the gated storage unit so no one will mess with it

http://www.carcapsule.com/

problem solved!! ****....i may even do this haha
Old 09-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

4k miles on the oil prior to storage? As long as she's put to bed immediately following a nice jaunt you should be fine, and you won't need to change it when you wake her up again right away but doing so would just be conservative which is fine.

My thoughts on the cover are above. A good car cover with a large tarp strapped as tight as you can to prevent any movement of the car cover below.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM
RWDtech
1st Gear Member

I'd agree with that too