Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i buy this ?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 AM
olsonlao

They are known for water leaks, if its rained lately check the carpet on the driver side and passenger side see if its wet.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 AM
kylemoney01

O sorry guys i forgot to tell you it is a gt premium 1 owner clean carfax
Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 AM
zentin
Banned

I would probably still get it if you can lower the price. If it's a official ford dealer that's reputable maybe they did the recall fix on the seals, ask them about it.

Otherwise i think its still worth it if you can get it for a good price, low miles, 1 owner....and even if it does leak, its only a matter of changing the seal i believe.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
kylemoney01

Well the dealer its at my mom is the service manager so I ahould be able to get a deal on it
Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Have them do a check on those seals. If it has not been done see if they can do that if they are stuck on the price. That alone could make it worth while if they will fix the seals. You do not want to get water damage in there that would be a very expensive fix come winter.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM
kylemoney01

I am going to be picking the car up monday to bring home and inspect and put on a lift so ill check it then
Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Check out the TSB's on this forum under Articles/Mustang TSBs.

That way you can have a look at all areas of concern before deciding.

Main things to be aware of that were/are problematic on that year:

* Front Strut Mount (Clunking) Replace mounts

* Front Ball Joints (Control arms) wearing out (Thunking) Replace arms

* Water Leak from SJB (Fuse block by passenger side kick panel interior) TSB has the fix.

* Water Leak from under the windshield where the top cowel cover screws screw in (the ones you take out to replace the cabin air filter) (don't recall the fix) TSB has the fix

* Front sway bar links not tight enough (tighten to spec after inspecting them)

* Gas tank assembly or fuel sending unit not allowing the car to fill up at a gas station normally (The pump will keep shutting off after a few seconds) It's an expensive fix if not already implemented on the car.

* E-brake cable may stick in freezing conditions (New revised cables available)

* If you plan on tinting your windows, driver/passenger side doors may need moleskin or 07+ window felt installed to keep from destroying the tint. 05/06 models missed this critical felt piece and owners were reporting their tint was getting scratched fairly easily.

Did I miss any?

Other things to note that were not TSB's but improved in later years:
A-arm brace (goes under the car and connects the control arms I believe) this was done for chassist stiffening. $100 for the part. Came standard on the verts but then also included on the coupes after 06 or 07.

* Cooling system 07+ have a different routing of the hoses and thermostat to keep the back cylinders cooler than the older system. Just a couple different hoses $150 fix for the parts. If you plan on FI the car, this is a MUST for the car.

I think that's it.

P.S. an 05 is not worth 16K. You can go down to your local ford shop and give them the VIN. Under their OASIS system they can tell you what TSB's have been performed, if any. Personally I never buy the first year of a model car new or used. Too many issues.

Last edited by Derf00; 09-13-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 PM
kylemoney01

Juat got off the phone with the ford dealer near me and they said there is no open recalls on the vin and to look tsbs up on google and there not a part of the warranty
Old 09-13-2013, 05:13 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I will also add the seperator plate between the transmission and engine rubs the fly wheel. It will making a metal against metal scraping noise when cold. Ford redesigned the part and it is only like $25.00 dollars. But you need to remove the tranny to change. My 05 suffers from the cold start up scraping noise. 16k is way to much for a 05.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Check out the TSB's on this forum under Articles/Mustang TSBs.

That way you can have a look at all areas of concern before deciding.

Main things to be aware of that were/are problematic on that year:

* Front Strut Mount (Clunking) Replace mounts

* Front Ball Joints (Control arms) wearing out (Thunking) Replace arms

* Water Leak from SJB (Fuse block by passenger side kick panel interior) TSB has the fix.

* Water Leak from under the windshield where the top cowel cover screws screw in (the ones you take out to replace the cabin air filter) (don't recall the fix) TSB has the fix

* Front sway bar links not tight enough (tighten to spec after inspecting them)

* Gas tank assembly or fuel sending unit not allowing the car to fill up at a gas station normally (The pump will keep shutting off after a few seconds) It's an expensive fix if not already implemented on the car.

* E-brake cable may stick in freezing conditions (New revised cables available)

* If you plan on tinting your windows, driver/passenger side doors may need moleskin or 07+ window felt installed to keep from destroying the tint. 05/06 models missed this critical felt piece and owners were reporting their tint was getting scratched fairly easily.

Did I miss any?

Other things to note that were not TSB's but improved in later years:
A-arm brace (goes under the car and connects the control arms I believe) this was done for chassist stiffening. $100 for the part. Came standard on the verts but then also included on the coupes after 06 or 07.

* Cooling system 07+ have a different routing of the hoses and thermostat to keep the back cylinders cooler than the older system. Just a couple different hoses $150 fix for the parts. If you plan on FI the car, this is a MUST for the car.

I think that's it.

P.S. an 05 is not worth 16K. You can go down to your local ford shop and give them the VIN. Under their OASIS system they can tell you what TSB's have been performed, if any. Personally I never buy the first year of a model car new or used. Too many issues.
You forgot the fuel pump air bubble TSB. I just changed mine out tonight for an aftermarket unit from Steeda.

16k for an 05 is way too much money. You can probably get an 07 or 08 for that money and eliminate a whole bunch of 05-06 issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should i buy this ?