Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" vs 20"

Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, side stripes have since been removed. May redo w/ center slightly thicker at some point.

Considering changing to Niche Milans, as the Torq Thrusts have a really aggressive offset in the back, and it's rough of a slammed car like mine. If the wheels change, the stripes might change too. Matte Black.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

so heres the car stock at the shop for new wheels

after wheels install and window tint today:

and couple others pict:

got the car tuesday, so far mods installed are
cold air intake steeda with steeda custom tune
window tint 35% all around
staggerd 20'' 8.5 upfront with 245-35-20 and 285-30 on 9.5'' rear
trying to find which coilspring ill show put on to get a nice drop, the gab is pretty obvious, also shopping for somes mufflers then ill be set until next summer since winter is here in like 2 month
Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

OP I am really confused. You had a v6 conversion to a v8 Eleanor kit with a m90 in it, then switched to the Chrysler and now a 5.0.............. and still save stranded dogs in your spare time? Dude help me out. LOL

New ride looks great. Wheel choice is sweet. I'm not a fan of 20's but they look great on your car. A drop is must, that wheel gap looks crazy big.....could be the lighting IDK. Tint is always a must. A very cool ride, keep this one for a while ok. LOL
Old 09-20-2013, 10:45 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

hahaha, funny, yah well no body wanted my swapped stang, didnt get a single call out of 2 month on my ads, and ended having my uncle who sold it to me offering to buy it back since I had some interrest in the 300c he had in his show room, that was the only way I could save some tax and get a new car and say good bye to this money-sucker, I moded the C but it was boring to drive, after 3 month I ended finding a dealer offering a nice trade in value for the 300c, and gave me a very good price for the mustang ,so I Jumped on it, I alway wanted a coyote, im even happier having the new model with taillight (13') this car is awesome, rattle-free / gear-whine free etc, and push very strong for N/A.Im definitly keeping it, i cant really afford trading in etc anymore, it end being costy, I lost way too much with that freaking swap.
Yah you are right, 20'' really look more like ''show'' but I really like how they look but i would have loved running similar setup in 19'' or 18'' with a drop and beefer tire then stock, but it made no sens buying 18'' and throw them on my small 235-50-18 pirreli p zero. so far the car spin way less, but i dont like the feeling it give when I switch 2-3 lane on the highway while speeding, the steering get pretty nervous and swing easily. not so cool.

on a side note, i didnt had to rescue much more dogs, but we adopted a little refugee my friend found, it a female and she match perfectly with my current rottweiler/pitbull mix, we also have 2 cats, but were full now:P
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

well ****, i just went ahead and tryed the car on a emtpy night road while the temperature cooled down,
i almost crashed myself a couple time, thèses tires suck ***, when you pull at higher speed the car start floating and boucing slowly from left to right, and you feel the steering getting loose and out of control. maybe i need better suspension? but my 18 pirreli werent doing that at all, i dont know anything about rubber brand, mine are wanli? how can i get such ****ty traction at high speed with 285-30 rubber..
guess i have to sell thèses rims now , boo.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:25 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

You might be able to sell just the tires and buy better tires instead of selling the wheels.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 AM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

good idea.. but that kinda blowed my balloon, i feel im all for performance..
ill see if i get any interrest..damn this suck

one of my friend told me it might be because im not dropped with the bigger tire take feel more the road imperfection, could make the car sloppy while speeding with stock height..does that even make sens

Last edited by mighted1987; 09-21-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Some tread patterns grip the road differently as well. So if you go over a ridge or crack it will pull the car a certain direction. My old KDW's used to do that. Have you had you car re-aligned since the new install. This is a must as well. Lowering it will help with the floaty feel.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 AM
dared3vil0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
You're going to get a variety of opinions and feedback. There's a thread in the general section already about driving on 20s that might help you. I love my 18s, check out my profile if you want to see them. They are 18x9.5" with 275 Nittos on all four corners.

Since you did ask for opinions though, here's mine I chose 18s because they are better for handling at the limit. They offer some warning before they let go, unlike something bigger, which will offer no warning before they lose traction. My 18s are lighter than comparable wheels as well. They also clear my Brembos. A wheel with a bigger diameter (where more of the weight is toward the outside of the wheel) is going to take more effort to turn than a smaller diameter wheel. Since you are drag racing, I'm just going to go ahead and say that I don't think you should have 20s on the car, period. There are folks who successfully drag race on their big wheels, but I think they would be even more successful with smaller ones. If you don't want the wheels inside the fender, you need to look at the offset. That'll determine how far out they stick.

Frankly the little rubber bands on 20s just look wrong on American muscle (in my opinion). I am in the boat that anything bigger just look like wagon wheels and that you are all show and no go.

For reference, Ford equips their race cars (such as the Boss 302S and 302R or FR500C) with 18s. Some people think that just because a GT500 or Boss 302 comes off the factory floor with 19s or 20s, that must mean that's the best choice, and that is simply not true.

At the end of the day though, the only real thing that matters is what YOU want and everyone else be damned.
What wheels are those in your sig? So clean, they look awesome!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:18 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

It looks ok, I just want the performance advantage of 18's for my 3.7. So you are selling the wheels?

Search this Thread