Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" vs 20"

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:51 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dont let one night out think you purchased the wrong stuff. Give it some time and more miles before you decide how you feel about them. No need to rush to judgement here and be careful. Your car and life are too good to mess up.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Your right 808, ill give them a week, i wouldnt try them on the 1/4 mile tho, im still trying to understand how my car react versus the 4 traction option, i tryed removing FULL advance traction off and the rear got realllly slippy, i tryed both advance sport traction and basic traction off which act pretty similar but i cant seem to do a full tire heat/burn(like before a pass at the drag, tire would stop spinning/power shut down, seems like i can only light them up the tire/burnout wih full traction off, but
Im not sure it is the safest option for driving around
Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I drive with TC off everytime I get in the car. Raining or dry its always off. I just adjust my right foot. As you know with a blower you have major power right out of the gate. With 4.10 gears even more so. I have total respect for my cars ability and drive it so. My Viper truck has no traction whatsoever. Tons of torque and a light rear end. You gotta learn how to drive it. Treat your fiveOh the same. Its not a chrysler. LOL
Old 09-21-2013, 05:23 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Dont let one night out think you purchased the wrong stuff. Give it some time and more miles before you decide how you feel about them. No need to rush to judgement here and be careful. Your car and life are too good to mess up.
Originally Posted by 808muscle
I drive with TC off everytime I get in the car. Raining or dry its always off. I just adjust my right foot. As you know with a blower you have major power right out of the gate. With 4.10 gears even more so. I have total respect for my cars ability and drive it so. My Viper truck has no traction whatsoever. Tons of torque and a light rear end. You gotta learn how to drive it. Treat your fiveOh the same. Its not a chrysler. LOL
Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

well not to be a debbie downer but the reason you have so much wheel gap is because the tires are too small. you should have like a 255/40 up front and a 285/35 or so.

i'm running 255/35's and 295/30's and they are the bare minimum to match tire height with factory sizes. Mustangs of the S197 variety have 27-28" tall tires and yours are in the 26" range.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Crap. Ill get some nitto with correct size, definitly
Old 09-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

In the 50's guys used to put little 550 bias ply tires on the front of cars to get them on the ground. Those that had half a brain called them "Chitty Wheels"! They make your car ride "Chitty", and they look "Chitty" too! I suppose if you are racing large, low profile tires are an advantage, but they sure ruin the ride of your car while emptying your pocket!! To me they make as much sense as building a "Street truck" so high off the ground it takes a ladder to get into it, and it would fall over off the road!

Many such modifications are like getting yourself a pink mohawk or pins and rings all over your face! It's more about being noticed than anything else! It's interesting how "people that want to be individuals" very often do it by copying someone else! It seems to miss the point of being an individual!

Be a wild individual that's completely different ..... and don't get tattoos like everyone else! Like buying a stock! When everyone is doing it.... you missed it! When most people you see have tattoos.... it's over, Dude! LOL!

My grandma's got a tramp stamp! Yikes! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails 18" vs 20"-oobey-me-.png  

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-22-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:12 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Just google it! There is plenty of dyno results comparing rim sizes. Figured at least a 20rwhp loss between 18 and 20 inch rims/tires.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
i'm running 255/35's and 295/30's and they are the bare minimum to match tire height with factory sizes. Mustangs of the S197 variety have 27-28" tall tires and yours are in the 26" range.
Those are definitely better matches for the OE 27" diameter.

But 245/35-20 and 285/30-20 aren't quite as bad as 26" sounds (because you might think it means 26.0"). Actually, those two sizes are just over 26.7" tall, or about the same as 275/40-18 which is a fairly commonly used 18" tire size. A too-fussy judge at a car show would probably notice that quarter inch or so, but I doubt most other folks would without looking at the tire sidewall knowing what the numbers were telling them dimensionally.

Norm
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
In the 50's guys used to put little 550 bias ply tires on the front of cars to get them on the ground. Those that had half a brain called them "Chitty Wheels"! They make your car ride "Chitty", and they look "Chitty" too! I suppose if you are racing large, low profile tires are an advantage, but they sure ruin the ride of your car while emptying your pocket!! To me they make as much sense as building a "Street truck" so high off the ground it takes a ladder to get into it, and it would fall over off the road!
I hear what you're saying - that when appearance takes absolute priority sacrifices are made with respect to all or most other aspects. Ever have to follow a Pro-Street wanna-be car (complete with front skinnies and 90/10 front shocks) on a road that's anything but straight and there's no place to pass?

Anyway, at least a few of us really are specifically looking for snappy steering response and better cornering behavior all of the time, at any speed. Appearance in and of itself is not a priority, nor is ride quality beyond not being slam-bang harsh. Those items end up being the consequences of choosing a tire with the right intent, in adequate size for the car's weight, and mounted on appropriately wide wheels - instead of having functional tire and car behavior end up being what you're left with after choosing the other aspects as the higher priorities.

It's too hard to put a price on enjoying the difference that the right tires can make. As an example, I'd once been riding around on a set of tires (on a different car that's still in my sig) that made up for being over-hyped by underperforming. That lasted for the last 2/3 of 30,000+ miles before I'd finally had enough. Around 6:00 PM I tossed them (with 1/3 useable tread left) into the used tire pile at the Chevy dealership I was then working at. By the middle of the next morning, somebody had trash-picked all four of them and nothing else. I silently wished whoever the best of luck.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-22-2013 at 09:53 AM.