Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone hit my car... What do I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Tyler N Tkachuk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-Nator
Lol. Seems like everyone likes hitting mustangs, I got rear-ended the first day I got mine. Right off the lot, sitting at a red light, some ******* in a truck pops the clutch and bumps into me, then gets out and says I rolled back into him in my automatic LOL. Nice try.. Anyway, seems like people always park right next to my car. So I always try to park as far away from people as I can, but there's always that ******* that comes and parks right on top of you!
GOD this made me laugh! this happens to me all the time, I park YARDS away from people and yet there is that one ******* that parks "on top of me" XD that made my day!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
My situation a couple of years ago was somewhat different from yours, so you might not want to proceed the same way.

A guy hit my parked car with his monster Lexus SUV, but didn't leave a note. I found out who he was. I called both my insurance company and the police. The police didn't cite him, but they got his driver license information and the name of his insurance company for me. I didn't want to deal with the guy, since he didn't leave a note.

I had scratches and dent damage to my front bumper. The cost to repair was over $750, so I filed the required SR 1 form with DMV in the ten-day time period.

Since I was dealing with my insurance company, they sent out an appraiser. I took the car to a body shop they recommended, and the shop said they would do the job for the amount appraised by my insurance company. My insurance company sent me a check for the appraised amount less my deductible. When they collected from the other guy's insurance company, my insurance company sent me a check for the amount of my deductible.

Be prepared for the other driver to scream bloody murder when he finds out the cost of doing a proper repair on the bumper.

As to notifying my insurance company right away, I did so. I don't know how fussy they are about that. It might vary from company to company.

I hope this is of some help to you, even though our situations differ in some respects. Good luck.
Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Oh my bad, I must've misread I thought someone hit and ran you I didn't know you got the other person's insurance info. In that instance, it's as easy as getting an estimate and a check.
So would you guys just recommend that I let the insurance handle it then? And since I had no fault in the incident, I wouldn't have to pay the deductible out of my own pocket? I hate this so much. I park my car as far as possible to avoid stuff like this from happening. The part that infuriates me is that I was the only car parked within at least 4 or 5 parking spaces and somehow he still managed to hit me.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Also, a part I forgot to mention is that the guy isn't insured. Car registration and insurance are under his dad's name. Would that change my situation in any way?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If he had permission to drive, he is in most cases covered under his fathers insurance.
I see now that you are in CA, you definitely need to fill out the accident form, mentioned above, explaining your side of the story. If he doesn't fill one out, your version of events is automatically the one of record since it's the only written account of what happened.
Still go to your insurance company with all the info he gave you and get it started already! Insurance deals with this stuff all day long, make them earn your pay, they are your agent to git'r done.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Ya this **** sucks my 2013 got hit last summer by a lady that could not back out of her driveway properly mind you I am bright ****ing green. But then after its all repaired, someone at my school opened their door and dinged the same side paint had not fully cured so its got a good ding out of the paint. Would totally give that student a F on an assignment for hitting my door if they were one of mine haha
Old 09-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
If he had permission to drive, he is in most cases covered under his fathers insurance.
I see now that you are in CA, you definitely need to fill out the accident form, mentioned above, explaining your side of the story. If he doesn't fill one out, your version of events is automatically the one of record since it's the only written account of what happened.
Still go to your insurance company with all the info he gave you and get it started already! Insurance deals with this stuff all day long, make them earn your pay, they are your agent to git'r done.
I'm gonna go get some quotes from nearby body shops in a bit. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Ya this **** sucks my 2013 got hit last summer by a lady that could not back out of her driveway properly mind you I am bright ****ing green. But then after its all repaired, someone at my school opened their door and dinged the same side paint had not fully cured so its got a good ding out of the paint. Would totally give that student a F on an assignment for hitting my door if they were one of mine haha
I remember your thread on that! It really sucked, with your car been so green that it just simply can't be missed. I'd get the student suspended from school if it was one of my students hahaha.