Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low RPM Ticking, I've Had Enough.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Default Low RPM Ticking, I've Had Enough.

I've had my car for over a year now, already put over 20k miles on the car (it's at 103k now ) and I've never had a single problem with it. I'm pretty good at diagnosing problems and fixing them before they're big problems but for the life of me I cannot find the source of the infamous low RPM engine tick. I've done lots of research on this and checked out a few things: yes my injectors tick but I don't think that's the noise, I'm about to replace the spark plugs soon to see if that might be it, and I'm not 100% uncertain it's not my timing chain although I REALLY hope it isn't.

I have an SCT tuner and I've been running some datalogs although I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for as there's about 300 variables to check. I've been putting a lot of work and a lot of money into this car after the 100k mark to ensure that it's going to go another 100 so I'd really love some input from more experienced folk.

Let me know what I can do (video, chart ext.)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 AM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

I had a very annoying ticking at idle and low rpm, it looked like a headers leak, but after having a tech look on it with, hes said it was probably coming from a exhaust valve..it is real hard to figure out, good luck
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Could be cam phasers. Check this video out.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Could be cam phasers. Check this video out.
Whoa it's nothing that intense. I'm gonna work on getting a video of the noise up. I can't remember when exactly it started happening either, the only bad thing I've ever done on my car is I over revved it one time from almost the top of third into second, the gs pulled my arm to second.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Mine does it too. Went away briefly for a week after putting in new plugs. Came back and all sensors show everything is running perfectly. Not a single problem with performance, runs like a purring kitten. Ford says that low RPM tick that disappears as RPMs rise is the VCT working as it should.

Here's a bit of info
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...v_engines.aspx

Last edited by Ricardo; 10-02-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Keep the RPM's up.

Really, is it that bad that you want to sell the car?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Mine does it too. Went away briefly for a week after putting in new plugs. Came back and all sensors show everything is running perfectly. Not a single problem with performance, runs like a purring kitten. Ford says that low RPM tick that disappears as RPMs rise is the VCT working as it should.

Here's a bit of info
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...v_engines.aspx
Yeah I think that's just Ford coming up with a weak excuse for a reoccouring problem
. I read that link before and it has some useful info, but I still don't know what I should do exactly. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Nuke
Keep the RPM's up.

Really, is it that bad that you want to sell the car?
Not helpful. Where did you get that impression? I said I wanted the car to go another 100k miles... it's a minor annoyance, but when I show the car and people want to hear what it sounds like under the hood I don't like them hearing "tick tick tick tick tick tick" instead of my blower.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Yeah I think that's just Ford coming up with a weak excuse for a reoccouring problem
. I read that link before and it has some useful info, but I still don't know what I should do exactly. Thanks for your input.

Not helpful. Where did you get that impression? I said I wanted the car to go another 100k miles... it's a minor annoyance, but when I show the car and people want to hear what it sounds like under the hood I don't like them hearing "tick tick tick tick tick tick" instead of my blower.
Get a centrifugal and they won't be able to hear it over the blower :P.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

My 2013 GT does it too its nothing to really be concerned with. Once I redid my exhaust I can only hear it if the hoods up and I am close to the engine. I have heard different weight oil can help but its all here say really. It runs fine no issues, its a Mustang they are all quirky been that way since 64.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Completely different motor but my 4.0 is a little noisy like that as well and it has been exaggerated since adding long tubes compared to the stock manifolds.

Quick Reply: Low RPM Ticking, I've Had Enough.