Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming the Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 AM
firebirder

Default Programming the Instrument Cluster

Good morning Mustang drivers,
my name is Daniel and I am from Germany. I'm driving a 2005 Mustang V6 and I am the first owner since beginning 2006 here in Germany. The car came as "new" with 154 miles from the U.S.. Carfax can confirm this. At the moment the car has 36Tmls on it (good weather car) and that can also be confirmed by all of my inspections and our official technical tests all 2 years here in Germany.

I have a problem with my speedometer and looked for a new one, but this is very expesive like gold. So I bought an used instrument cluster with the 6 gauges and a mycolor option from a 2006 Mustang. The only problem is, that this cluster has 56Tmls on it. So I would like to correct this. A fried of mine is an engineer at a FORD repairshop and he has the IDS/VDI (or so) and we used the "built in a programmable unit --> Instrument cluster". The programm read out the data from the original cluster, gave us a note to plug in now the new cluster and confirmed that the data has been assumed. But after switching off and on the ignition, the Odometer still shows 56Tmls. So I disconnected the batterie for a day and reconnected it. But no difference.

So you can see that I wouldn't do anything "illegal" and my original milage with 36 Tmls should be in other units in this car too, or?

My question is how can I get the correct miles to the odometer?

Best regards from Hamburg...Daniel
Old 10-03-2013, 08:57 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by firebirder
Good morning Mustang drivers,
my name is Daniel and I am from Germany. I'm driving a 2005 Mustang V6 and I am the first owner since beginning 2006 here in Germany. The car came as "new" with 154 miles from the U.S.. Carfax can confirm this. At the moment the car has 36Tmls on it (good weather car) and that can also be confirmed by all of my inspections and our official technical tests all 2 years here in Germany.

I have a problem with my speedometer and looked for a new one, but this is very expesive like gold. So I bought an used instrument cluster with the 6 gauges and a mycolor option from a 2006 Mustang. The only problem is, that this cluster has 56Tmls on it. So I would like to correct this. A fried of mine is an engineer at a FORD repairshop and he has the IDS/VDI (or so) and we used the "built in a programmable unit --> Instrument cluster". The programm read out the data from the original cluster, gave us a note to plug in now the new cluster and confirmed that the data has been assumed. But after switching off and on the ignition, the Odometer still shows 56Tmls. So I disconnected the batterie for a day and reconnected it. But no difference.

So you can see that I wouldn't do anything "illegal" and my original milage with 36 Tmls should be in other units in this car too, or?

My question is how can I get the correct miles to the odometer?

Best regards from Hamburg...Daniel
Hey man, I am not sure how it works in Germany and I doubt there are any Ford dealerships. But here in the states it has to go to a Ford dealership to be reprogrammed, it shouldn't even let you start the car with the new cluster in there. It is common for the 2005 cluster stepper motors to go bad, another option you might have to take is replacing the stepper motors themselves or finding someone that will replace them for you.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Dealer cannot reset odometer. You'll need a speedometer repair shop with proper software to do it. There is no PATS in a 2006 Cluster so no relearning needed to start car.