Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased an Aluminator (NA) motor. Questions regarding sounds and codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:05 PM
SapperDaddy21B

Default Purchased an Aluminator (NA) motor. Questions regarding sounds and codes

Original Thread Location (Click Me)

Long Story Warning:

I bought my 2011 Mustang GT back in 2011. A few months after I started modding it, putting on a Boss 302 intake manifold, JLT Cold Air Intake, BBK Shorty Headers, and a BBK X Pipe as well.

I was using a BAMA 93 performance tune from American muscle and I threw a code for a cylinder 8 misfire. I took the car to ford, they voided my warranty and they re-installed cylinder 8, and told me the car was rebuilt according to "Ford specifications".

Two months later, I spun a bearing immediately after an oil change, the engine seized and I realized that I needed to rebuild it, because Ford refused to touch the car even though they did do work prior to the seizing of the car.

I finally got the car rebuilt (a year after the fact), and bought a Ford Racing N/A Aluminator Crate Engine. It's day 5 of having the car, and I've already got some major issues that I'm concerned about.

1) P0300, P0302, P0308 codes. I called Ford Racing and they told me that if I simply re-learn the Crank Positioning Sensor, everything will be resolved. I've an appointment on Monday with Scarsdale Ford to fix this issue and we'll see how that works out. I'm really hoping, but given my history with Ford, their delaerships and their worksmanship, I highly doubt that will solve anything. But I am certainly hoping! *crosses fingers*

2) A knocking / rattling / ticking sound in the engine. The motor is sounding very strange. A few friends of mine are saying: "Oh, don't worry about that, it's normal, forged internals are gonna rattle and make noise, that's what they do", etc. But this just doesn't sound normal to me and I'm worried dearly. Attached to this post is footage of the car today 10/4/2013, and what the rattle / knock / ticking sound sounds like.

Please, help if you can.

Information about the car:

Total Miles On Car 39007 Miles.
Miles on engine: 450-ish miles on it.

Videos:

Video 1: Aluminator Start - Idle Engine Sounds
Video 2:
Aluminator Start - Engine Sounds After Warmup and Subsequent Revs

Thanks!
-Lenworth
Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

That sure does sound noisy. Not sure what forged internals have to do with it. You change the headers? Oh. I see you did. That may make it noisier than stock headers. But should sound just like original engine I would think.

Also. Did AM not warranty your engine after blown #8?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM
SapperDaddy21B

Originally Posted by dmhines
That sure does sound noisy. Not sure what forged internals have to do with it. You change the headers? Oh. I see you did. That may make it noisier than stock headers. But should sound just like original engine I would think.

Also. Did AM not warranty your engine after blown #8?
Thanks for responding.

I'm not sure if you're speaking about the volume of the exhaust, or the rattling sound that happens in cycles as the engine is running.

AM did not warranty the engine, as I didn't find out about their warranty program until after the engine had already siezed up, and by then, although I think it was related to the original Cylinder 8 Misfire issue, I don't think they would've warrantied the old engine, so I didn't pursue it.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Sounds a bit loud, how does it run though? What weight oil are you using, did you ask them about what weight oil to use or did it come pre-filled?

if it runs fine, pulls smoothly and makes the advertised horsepower it may be fine.

keep us updated.

Last edited by Andy13186; 10-07-2013 at 10:26 AM.