Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble filling up gas tank

Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 AM
This Is New To Me

Default trouble filling up gas tank

I have a 2005 Ford mustang GT. I bought this car used and since I could remember always had a problem filling up on gas. I took it to the shop and got the fuel tank replace. The part alone ran me over $1300! The mechanic told me it will have the same trouble the first couple of times when I try to fill the tank, but the problem will eventually go away it’s been almost a month and the problem still exist and now I have empty pockets because of this. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I am going to take it back tomorrow morning but I don't want to get hustle out any more money.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a TSB on it but it's a chronic problem and even the TSB fix has been known to not always solve the problem. It has to do with the saddle tank design.

Try any combination of: 1) slowing the delivery rate at the pump 2) turning the pump handle anywhere from 45 degrees to 180 degrees 3) using a different pump and/or different station 4) stand on your head, spit nickles and hum "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy"
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
There's a TSB on it but it's a chronic problem and even the TSB fix has been known to not always solve the problem. It has to do with the saddle tank design.

Try any combination of: 1) slowing the delivery rate at the pump 2) turning the pump handle anywhere from 45 degrees to 180 degrees 3) using a different pump and/or different station 4) stand on your head, spit nickles and hum "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy"
The upside down trick does it for me every time!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

I can tell you #4 doesn't work. I've tried it.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Probably not your problem, but I had an issue after going with Fore fuel system, where the crossover tube between the saddles got kinked and the passenger side saddle wouldn't fill.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM
GTgirlCA

I had the same problem with my 06 straight off the showroom floor. #4 is the only thing that ever really made any difference.
Every time I ever took it back to the dealership, they could "never get it to repeat the problem" so they did nothing about it.
Eventually it stopped doing it, about 4 - 6 months after purchase date.
I was told by a friend who was a mechanic at a different Ford dealership that it was an issue with air being released back out of the tank, (same idea as the hole in a gas can when pouring it).
I hate to say, but I think you wasted your money buying a new tank. I have also read on this forum that it is a common problem. It also sounds like no one has found a real solution to the problem either.
I couldn't help but read your post to see what suggestions you received, and #4 about nails it.
I advise you to wait it out for a while. Try not using to hold lever and holding the trigger yourself on a very slow flow, I know how frustrating this is and can only wish you, Good Luck!!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

mine does it aswell
dont put the nozzle all the way in
have it half way in and twist it
works for me everytime
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

This drives me absolutely crazy on my car, some gas stations it is fine with no problems but others i give up because none of these techniques work and i just drive away with whatever i can get into it, when i screw around gas usually ends up pouring out and overflowing even if the tank isn't full.. My gas tank was replaced under warranty a few years ago for this issue and because the gauge would go to empty randomly.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What Rudolph said also about putting the nozzle only about half way in. I forgot that one. I was probably too busy humming Yankee Doodle.

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I can tell you #4 doesn't work. I've tried it.
Try a different key and tempo.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Primo23

Yup I do the slow/click dance with the pump too. Turning it always helps though. Thanks for the advice on not replacing the tank itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trouble filling up gas tank