Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyperflashing Even with Resistors

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox Fader
And you wired the resistor parallel to the light circuit? I've done the multiple times problem free. I've even wired in a hidden bulb to act as a resistor in a pinch.
Yeah. I cut the connectors from the old blinker there were two positives and a negative. One going to the relay, the other for the parking light. I ran the blinker positive to the resistor, and then the bulb, and connected the negatives. It wasn't the cleanest wiring, but I definitely checked everything to make sure it wasn't going to shake loose going down the road and it hasn't, they always turn on but almost always blink. Sometimes they work just fine.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a short to me. Get the flasher and remove the resistors.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox Fader
Sounds like a short to me. Get the flasher and remove the resistors.
Really appreciate the help Fox. I'm going to be headed to Houston in a couple of days where I can work in my family's shop so I'll do it then so I don't have to take my bumper off in my apartment's parking lot and have every swinging dick asking me "what's the problem".
Just to clarify, are you sure that 05-09's have these units? I've been doing a bit of Googling and searching under the dash and can't seem to find where it is.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Yeah. I cut the connectors from the old blinker there were two positives and a negative. One going to the relay, the other for the parking light. I ran the blinker positive to the resistor, and then the bulb, and connected the negatives. It wasn't the cleanest wiring, but I definitely checked everything to make sure it wasn't going to shake loose going down the road and it hasn't, they always turn on but almost always blink. Sometimes they work just fine.
Have you seen this? CLICK HERE

Last edited by vixr; 10-21-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

apparently, the hyperflash is caused by the relay not seeing the full 2 amp load from an incandescent bulb and the hyperflash is to let you know the incandescent bulb is burned out. Replacing the relay as suggested by fox will work because the new relay is not set up for 2 amps, just a dozen milliamps or so needed to drive the LEDs to a good brightness. Or, since you already have them, try the load resistor trick... the resistor going from the turn signal wire to ground, like the drawing shows, just lets the relay see a full 2 amp load... the resistor will get very hot while the turn signal is blinking. If you decide to try the new relay, as fox said, dont use the resistor..

Last edited by vixr; 10-21-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
Have you seen this? CLICK HERE
I had not. I think I understand what I did wrong now, I figured the resistors only ran through the positive. I was wondering why they didn't just include butt splicers hahahaha Thursday I'll install them correctly and see what happens. Thanks a lot man, glad it was just a user error.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Ah, so you ran it in series not parallel. It'll work now.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

maybe its not wired correctly, or you have loose connections
Old 10-26-2013, 10:58 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Problem solved, I spliced the resistors in correctly this time, positive and negative. I took out my headlight so I had enough room to drill and mounted them under the headlight on the subframe and held them up with 1/8 inch pop rivets, pretty stealthy install. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:42 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that it turned out good. BTW, your car is great.

Quick Reply: Hyperflashing Even with Resistors