Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 PM
dared3vil0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Maybe I can program my '07 GT to be a GT500...
Good idea! Can you program my '14 V6 to a GT while you're at it?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 AM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

I've always wondered what happens with those windows if the battery dies. Can you still get in the car? If so, can you close the door without breaking the window?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rvastang
I've always wondered what happens with those windows if the battery dies. Can you still get in the car? If so, can you close the door without breaking the window?
Unhook your battery and let me know. I'm curious.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

I've had mine freeze on me while late for work. Not pretty. Ripped the door open and slammed it shut. Window was on top of the door molding. It did go down once the car warmed up sufficiently. I hate that "feature" but realize it is necessary.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:49 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rvastang
Ya know, I never thought about that.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

The reason it does this is because your cars have frameless windows, it isn't to make the car "fancy" it's so you don't close the door on your window, I think it'd be kind've a wasted effort for what it'd take to make it do that.

As far as Zentin, I'm so so sad to see him go, his threads were the greatest thing to ever happen to this forum.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
The reason it does this is because your cars have frameless windows, it isn't to make the car "fancy" it's so you don't close the door on your window, I think it'd be kind've a wasted effort for what it'd take to make it do that.
It's not just because of the frameless windows. There are plenty of cars with no frames around the windows that don't have the window drop. It's Ford's design of the window and the rather hard trim where the top of the window needs to go that makes this necessary.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
It's not just because of the frameless windows. There are plenty of cars with no frames around the windows that don't have the window drop. It's Ford's design of the window and the rather hard trim where the top of the window needs to go that makes this necessary.
Hmm I think I see, I just don't understand how else you could get a proper seal without frameless windows having that feature. I'm only speaking from experience, I know my friend's 350z did it and a couple other cars I can't exactly remember.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:43 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I think Ford did it because the air pressure inside the cabin when shutting the door makes it harder to close completely. Purely speculation on my part.

As far as opening the door, yes you can open the door. Just have to unlock using your key manually like way back in your grandpa's day before they had them fancy reeemotes. The window stays completely still because duh! There is no power. How's it gonna move? Plate tectonics?

I've refrained from chiming in until now because of the loss of our dear troll Zentin. I'm still in shock. Like who's going to ask the questions we are all afraid to ask? Like "What color is air?", "How do you know time?", "Can you explain the differences between motorcycles and lollipops to me?"...
Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

the 05+ cars window goes up in a channel within the seal sealing on both sides. So the window has to drop down to clear the seal in order for the window to open.
On the 04 and older cars the window seats against the seal and not within it.

Its not new technology, the c5 vettes came with it and alot of the exotics do too.

Quick Reply: How does it work?