Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


How does it work?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
orb001
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2004 Mustang Cobra Convertible
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5
Orrin Ray Bare
Default How does it work?

This is an odd one. The 2005+ mustangs, as you all know, have the fancy windows that go down when you open the door and go up when you close the door and all that. does anyone know HOW they do it? Is there a module or something?
Reason I ask is, I have a 2004 Cobra that I would like to make it do that. In theory it could be done, I mean I doubt window motor technology changed so much between the 1 year. I'm sure it would require some splicing though.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________
Real cars don't power the front wheels, the lift 'em!!
orb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Lem-06
4th Gear Member
 
Lem-06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,187
Default

Id assume its in the Smart Junction Box in the passenger floor well, it controls just about everything else and possesses your car if it gets alitle wet.

I wouldnt be suprised if you could get a relay or a small circuit board to lower the window whenever the door is opened<the little plunger registers door opening to turn on interior lights> and then roll back up when the plunger is pressed back down when door is shut.
__________________

SMR#2064
Mods: Steeda CAI, FRPP hotrod's, Black GT500 staggered 18's, GT/CS front end, Airlift Suspension, and more

Last edited by Lem-06; 10-24-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Lem-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member
 
Nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: PA to KY ('07) to IL ('09) to MS ('10) to FL ('11)
Posts: 16,109
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke
Default

Maybe I can program my '07 GT to be a GT500...
__________________
Rick
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
orb001
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2004 Mustang Cobra Convertible
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5
Orrin Ray Bare
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem-06 View Post
Id assume its in the Smart Junction Box in the passenger floor well, it controls just about everything else and possesses your car if it gets alitle wet.

I wouldnt be suprised if you could get a relay or a small circuit board to lower the window whenever the door is opened<the little plunger registers door opening to turn on interior lights> and then roll back up when the plunger is pressed back down when door is shut.
It figures, those are about 200-300 bucks. Probably better off programming an Arduino or something to a relay like you say.
__________________
Real cars don't power the front wheels, the lift 'em!!
orb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
orb001
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2004 Mustang Cobra Convertible
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 5
Orrin Ray Bare
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Maybe I can program my '07 GT to be a GT500...
Right. While you're at it, why not just "program" it to be an F1 car or something.
__________________
Real cars don't power the front wheels, the lift 'em!!
orb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Nuke
6th Gear Member
 
Nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: PA to KY ('07) to IL ('09) to MS ('10) to FL ('11)
Posts: 16,109
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb001 View Post
Right. While you're at it, why not just "program" it to be an F1 car or something.
Lighten up, man. Just adding some humor.

I'm not sure that the window drop function is available on pre-S197's. The window drop is due to the design of the window gasket and how the window seals/mates with the gasket. Without the drop, you darn near rip the gasket off.
__________________
Rick
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Art161
4th Gear Member
 
Art161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 1,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Lighten up, man. Just adding some humor.
Keep adding some humor, Nuke, particularly at this difficult time for you. You're undoubtedly devastated that your friend zentin was banned. Stay strong and work through it.
__________________
2007 Mustang GT Coupe Premium
High Performance White/Dark Charcoal Leather
Automatic Transmission
Rear Spoiler Delete
Interior Sport Appearance Package
MGW EJECT Power Point Plug

If you pursue perfection, you will never attain your goal. You may, however, achieve excellence.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
vixr
2nd Gear Member
 
vixr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: Florida
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
Keep adding some humor, Nuke, particularly at this difficult time for you. You're undoubtedly devastated that your friend zentin was banned. Stay strong and work through it.
lights lighter, holds it high for poor zentin... rock on brother
__________________
GODLESS HEATHEN


Eibach sportline kit, Boss 302 quad exhaust, BMR LCA, Boss 302 intake, BMR LCA re-locators, JLT carbon fiber CAI, BMR adj. panhard, FR 84.5 mm TB, Steeda adj. UCA, 302 strut brace, MM CC plates, Bama 93 octane race tune, RTR chin splitter, MMD louvers, Steeda functional spoiler
vixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member
 
FivePointToTheOh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 2013, Ford Mustang, 5.0 GT Premium California Special
Location: Florida
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
Keep adding some humor, Nuke, particularly at this difficult time for you. You're undoubtedly devastated that your friend zentin was banned. Stay strong and work through it.
Wait Zentin was banned and I missed the party?!
__________________
2013 Sterling Gray GT/CS - |MGW Short Throw Shifter||Steeda 101mm Intake||Pype 3" Off-Road X-Pipe||Borla Atak AxleBack System||3.73 Gears|| Resonator Delete || SR Performance Hydraulic Clutch Line||93 Octane Bama Race Tune||Black GT/CS Rims|| Black 5.0's||30% Tint All The Way Around|

#805/2998 2013 GT/CS.
1/397 Sterling Grey

FivePointToTheOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Nuke
6th Gear Member
 
Nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: PA to KY ('07) to IL ('09) to MS ('10) to FL ('11)
Posts: 16,109
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh View Post
Wait Zentin was banned and I missed the party?!
Ditto!






Darned auto-correct... I meant "Awww, too bad".
__________________
Rick
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
dared3vil0
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle: SOON 00-04 GT Manual
Location: BC
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Maybe I can program my '07 GT to be a GT500...
Good idea! Can you program my '14 V6 to a GT while you're at it?
__________________
2014 DIB V6 Coupe.
HARDEST F**KING color to keep clean ever.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
rvastang
1st Gear Member
 
rvastang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Mustang
Location: Virginia
Posts: 66
Default

I've always wondered what happens with those windows if the battery dies. Can you still get in the car? If so, can you close the door without breaking the window?
rvastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member
 
Fox Fader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 10GTManualPremium
Location: Columbus, GA USA
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvastang View Post
I've always wondered what happens with those windows if the battery dies. Can you still get in the car? If so, can you close the door without breaking the window?
Unhook your battery and let me know. I'm curious.
__________________
2010 Mustang GT Premium Handshaker - comfort, shaker 1000, HID's
Yellow fogs, LED map & tag lamps, Deck lid trim, Tinted makers & tails, MMD Hood Struts, 2-1/8" "Cue Ball" Shift ****, Sickspeed 401a jamnut, SR Performance Springs, Pypes Cat-back w/ Magnaflows, Bama Tuned.

2010 Audi A4 quattro 6 speed manual
A few mods

PowerMix 2K1 <<Slammin Tunes!
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member
 
incorrigible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT
Location: NY
Posts: 369
Default

I've had mine freeze on me while late for work. Not pretty. Ripped the door open and slammed it shut. Window was on top of the door molding. It did go down once the car warmed up sufficiently. I hate that "feature" but realize it is necessary.
incorrigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
slickman
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Location: NY
Posts: 2,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvastang View Post
I've always wondered what happens with those windows if the battery dies. Can you still get in the car? If so, can you close the door without breaking the window?
Ya know, I never thought about that.
slickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member
 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 636
whosniffedme whosniffedme whosniffedme
Default

The reason it does this is because your cars have frameless windows, it isn't to make the car "fancy" it's so you don't close the door on your window, I think it'd be kind've a wasted effort for what it'd take to make it do that.

As far as Zentin, I'm so so sad to see him go, his threads were the greatest thing to ever happen to this forum.
__________________

Current Vehicle:
07' GT/CS Roushcharged http://mustangforums.com/forum/garag...sniffedme.html
Past Vehicles:'03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT,
'69 Mustang soft top fully rebuilt 351C swap
whosniffedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Art161
4th Gear Member
 
Art161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 1,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
The reason it does this is because your cars have frameless windows, it isn't to make the car "fancy" it's so you don't close the door on your window, I think it'd be kind've a wasted effort for what it'd take to make it do that.
It's not just because of the frameless windows. There are plenty of cars with no frames around the windows that don't have the window drop. It's Ford's design of the window and the rather hard trim where the top of the window needs to go that makes this necessary.
__________________
2007 Mustang GT Coupe Premium
High Performance White/Dark Charcoal Leather
Automatic Transmission
Rear Spoiler Delete
Interior Sport Appearance Package
MGW EJECT Power Point Plug

If you pursue perfection, you will never attain your goal. You may, however, achieve excellence.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member
 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 636
whosniffedme whosniffedme whosniffedme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
It's not just because of the frameless windows. There are plenty of cars with no frames around the windows that don't have the window drop. It's Ford's design of the window and the rather hard trim where the top of the window needs to go that makes this necessary.
Hmm I think I see, I just don't understand how else you could get a proper seal without frameless windows having that feature. I'm only speaking from experience, I know my friend's 350z did it and a couple other cars I can't exactly remember.
__________________

Current Vehicle:
07' GT/CS Roushcharged http://mustangforums.com/forum/garag...sniffedme.html
Past Vehicles:'03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT,
'69 Mustang soft top fully rebuilt 351C swap
whosniffedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
wcgman
5th Gear Member
 
wcgman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 07 GT500 07 GT vert
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,624
Default

I think Ford did it because the air pressure inside the cabin when shutting the door makes it harder to close completely. Purely speculation on my part.

As far as opening the door, yes you can open the door. Just have to unlock using your key manually like way back in your grandpa's day before they had them fancy reeemotes. The window stays completely still because duh! There is no power. How's it gonna move? Plate tectonics?

I've refrained from chiming in until now because of the loss of our dear troll Zentin. I'm still in shock. Like who's going to ask the questions we are all afraid to ask? Like "What color is air?", "How do you know time?", "Can you explain the differences between motorcycles and lollipops to me?"...
__________________
07 GT500 - magnaflow muffler deletes, JLT CF Big Air, Bama 91 tune, Eibach Sportlines
07 GT 'vert Whipple SC, full suspension, killer sound system to make you go deaf

wcgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member
 
PNYXPRESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle: early 2000, 1991, 2008
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 2,539
Default

the 05+ cars window goes up in a channel within the seal sealing on both sides. So the window has to drop down to clear the seal in order for the window to open.
On the 04 and older cars the window seats against the seal and not within it.

Its not new technology, the c5 vettes came with it and alot of the exotics do too.
__________________

1991 2.3L I4
1996 3.8L V6
2000 3.8L V6
2008 4.6L V8
PNYXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup