Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang milddew smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
kallybravo

Default 2005 Mustang milddew smell

I seem to have a problem slightly different from what Ive read people have a faced a lot.

My mustang always seems to have a milddew smell which shows up ONLY when i turn ON the fans WITHOUT the AC.

The smell disappears when I turn ON the AC.

(from what i read, others notice this smell when they turn the AC on which is the opposite in my case)

I have tried spraying Lysol through the vents based on a mechanic's advice but that somehow hides the problem for less than a week(and replaces it with the smell of Lysol).

I also, tried replacing the air filters which took the problem away for less than a month.

I have noticed this even in Texas, California Summers.

Experts please advice. The dealership never gives me an answer to this.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Cabin Air filter? Should be changed every few Months anyway.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I get this smell every now and then when I have to bring wet shoes in the car, however I roll with my windows down all the time so I never get any residual smell after driving it around a little while, if it's a nice clear day and you feel comfortable, try leaving your windows down for a little while. Otherwise, +1 cabin air filter
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Make sure the 2 rubber grommets in the drains for the front window cowl are clear of debris. You can reach down along the firewall in the engine compartment and feel them. They tend to clog and will allow water to back up thru the cabin air filter. You can actually see the one on the passenger side.

Cabin air filters don't need to be "changed every few Months anyway". We breath outside air and if you wore a dust mask, it would be dirty too. Big deal. In your case, change the cabin air filter only because you suspect it may be related to your problem. After that, forget about it for a few years.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
M We breath outside air and if you wore a dust mask, it would be dirty too. Big deal. In your case, change the cabin air filter only because you suspect it may be related to your problem. After that, forget about it for a few years.
dude....we don't breathe outside air traveling at hwy speed with bugs, road grime, bird feathers, leaves and all the other crap you'll find on that cabin air filter. After just a few months...it's GROSS.

EVEN when on a motorcycle there's a reason our helmets have a screen visor and breathing vents. Unless you're the old school Harley type that likes to smile and show all the bug guts on yer teeth.

Ewwww.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:06 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

Do you set the A/C setting to Max A/C? I noticed my car will make that mildew smell if I use that setting.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:03 AM
kallybravo

like i said, they smell goes away if I turn the AC on. It shows up only when the AC is turned OFF.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 AM
kallybravo

i guess i shall try changing the cabin filter again. Thanks for the advice guys.