MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005 - 2014 Mustangs (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   TPMS Training not complete (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/703608-tpms-training-not-complete.html)

vidit10 11-23-2013 03:11 PM

TPMS Training not complete

Hey guys,

First post here.

I bought a v6 in 2009 - and love it.

Few weeks ago the tire pressure light came on with the error message - "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault". I purchased the training tool and tried to train the sensors. 3 sensors will get trained and I will hear the honk for successful training - the last tire (Driver Rear) will not honk - and after some time i will hear 2 honks and the display reads something like "Training not complete, re-train".

Do I need new sensor? If yes, should I replace all 4?

AzPete 11-23-2013 06:52 PM

Sounds like you need to replace just one sensor....then train them all. I would suggest Fords sensor vs after market.

SpartaPerformance 11-23-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzPete (Post 8312823)
Sounds like you need to replace just one sensor....then train them all. I would suggest Fords sensor vs after market.

I agree.

vidit10 11-24-2013 12:36 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

While shopping for sensors, I see two types:
1 - a large (chocolate bar sized) sensor that fits around the rim with a band
2 - something that fits at the end of the valve stem.

Do you know which one is the OEM?

If I can ask for favor - can someone paste a link for the sensor you suggested (Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, Amazon, etc.)

Thanks again.

wcgman 11-24-2013 07:48 AM

You need the valve stem based sensor. It's a whole unit. Too bad you're in VA. I have 4 sittin in the garage and I'd hook you up if you were close. http://www.americanmuscle.com/tpms-sensor-band-kit.html is the sensor and http://www.americanmuscle.com/tpms-tool.html is the tool. The tool from AM is Ford OEM but I don't know that the TPMS sensor itself is. I've used these TPMS before with zero issues so I have no reservations recommending them.

Art161 11-24-2013 01:11 PM

I think the band type sensor was OE from 2007-2009.

Moronix 11-24-2013 05:33 PM

The sensors are battery operated and you cannot replace just the battery. The batteries typically last about 5 years. When one goes it's an indication that they are all about to go.

vidit10 11-24-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moronix (Post 8313104)
The sensors are battery operated and you cannot replace just the battery. The batteries typically last about 5 years. When one goes it's an indication that they are all about to go.

Hmm.. That would mean that I should get all 4.
I have to get new tires mounted anyway, so maybe this is the right time to replace all 4 sensors.

NTO_GUY 11-25-2013 10:51 AM

For your car it is the band and sensor type. Since yours is the V6 OEM is a 17" band with sensor.

vidit10 11-25-2013 10:59 AM

Thanks NTO,

Do I need to buy band again - or should I get the valve stem sensor. Seems like Valve Stem sensors are easier to deal with (and are a bit cheaper). If I can do either (and still have my trainer tool work with them) - is there any advantage of one over the other?

I appreciate the response I am getting from this community.

Cruzinaround 11-25-2013 11:45 AM

You're stuck with the band...it requires a different frequency for the valve stem type. That was OEM on 2010 and newer. For 2009....its the band.

Art161 11-25-2013 12:40 PM

You're not limited to a band sensor if you go aftermarket, such as the valve stem sensors sold by AM. See link in a prior post.

Derf00 11-25-2013 01:43 PM

I bought the AM Valve stem type sensors for my 08 GT, installed and work just fine.

It's not the style that matters, it's the radio frequency used for communicating with the car. OEM style band/Valve Stem styles use different frequencies...aftermarket makes both frequencies for both style's of sensor so you can choose the style you want regardless of year.

vidit10 11-25-2013 01:48 PM

Great.

Any advantage of one over the other (other than ease of installing)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derf00 (Post 8313449)
I bought the AM Valve stem type sensors for my 08 GT, installed and work just fine.

It's not the style that matters, it's the radio frequency used for communicating with the car. OEM style band/Valve Stem styles use different frequencies...aftermarket makes both frequencies for both style's of sensor so you can choose the style you want regardless of year.

wcgman 11-25-2013 02:28 PM

Ease of install is the main reason. Also, the valve stem ones are reported to be speed limited meaning that something like 150 they break, but I don't know about that other than random posts on here about that.

Cruzinaround 11-25-2013 02:58 PM

Call and make sure with AM. I got three sets from them for three sets of wheels and tires... But It was all for a 2011...And I don't recall it saying on any of their tire/wheel buying links anything about the double frequencies. In fact I remember it stating these were required for my 2011, If they are double frequecy it would certainly be worth mentioning for the consumer's sake.. If this is correct and they do double frequencies...then I suppose you're good ...actually even better off by going aftermarket. And...I've never had a problem with the AM TPMS kits ....The only thing I've read that some would be concerned with is the speed ratings on some of the After Market ones since they can fail after 159MPH, But, if you're not a speed demon I suppose that doesn't really matter anyway.

vidit10 11-25-2013 03:01 PM

I do drive fast, but not that fast. I also doubt if v6 would go above 150mph.

Cruzinaround 11-25-2013 03:26 PM

Oh...they can....with some homework and the correct Mods....They can stomp on some GT's that are bone stock, too.

Derf00 11-26-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround (Post 8313477)
Call and make sure with AM. I got three sets from them for three sets of wheels and tires... But It was all for a 2011...And I don't recall it saying on any of their tire/wheel buying links anything about the double frequencies. In fact I remember it stating these were required for my 2011, If they are double frequecy it would certainly be worth mentioning for the consumer's sake.. If this is correct and they do double frequencies...then I suppose you're good ...actually even better off by going aftermarket. And...I've never had a problem with the AM TPMS kits ....The only thing I've read that some would be concerned with is the speed ratings on some of the After Market ones since they can fail after 159MPH, But, if you're not a speed demon I suppose that doesn't really matter anyway.

http://search.americanmuscle.com/sea...-mustangtuning

If you ordered over the phone, the questions probably never came up. I don't hear of people wanting band style TPMS if they have valve stem style...just the opposite. The stems themselves only carry one frequency (not both) so you have to select the right year if you are on 05-09. Otherwise the TPMS would be 05-14 instead of broken up.

By default AM lists the appropriate style of TPMS for a given year. If you just look up TPMS as a search word, then you find all of the related things they have available.

vidit10 08-18-2014 08:24 AM

Valve stem sensor works

I am posting in an old thread - but I think this might be helpful.

I installed a valve stem sensor, and only in one tire. It works just fine - 3 band type, one valve type. I used this one:
Also the other band types have not failed yet. I used fix-a-flat in the tire in which the sensor failed a long time ago, though I do not know if that has to do anything with the failure.