Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 PM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Default exhaust upgrade

Hi Everyone, I have a 2011 GT 5.0. Currently have stock exhaust and thinking about upgrading. thinking about Flowmaster 40 series. I know there is probably going to be a difference of opinion here so let me say that i am female and not planning on racing but i would like a nice medium rumble sound. With that said what is the simplest cost effective way to go about getting the sound i want?

Thanks

Last edited by p0ny; 12-03-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:39 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by p0ny
Hi Everyone, I have a 2011 GT 5.0. Currently have stock exhaust and thinking about upgrading. thinking about Flowmaster 40 series. I know there is probably going to be a difference of opinion here so let me say that i am female and not planning on racing but i would like a nice medium rumble sound. With that said what is the simplest cost effective way to go about getting the sound i want?

Thanks
FLowmaster 40s will give you the medium rumble that you want. However, flowmasters cause more interior drone than other exhaust systems. If drone is an issue I would look into other exhaust systems.

Get on American Muscle's website and you can listen to a lot of the catback exhaust systems before you buy.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I have 40's on my catless h-pipe with resonators and high flow shorty headers, two problems. A) The baffles on the inside of it rust and deteriorate over time and start to rattle once they get hot enough B) they drone even after I put resonators on, not as much, but it still trumpets at a certain RPM. My recommendation, SLP Loudmouth's. **** mufflers.

Here's my exhaust before I put resonators on.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

^^^ That thing is loud, damn! Just put on some Corsa Sports last night....no drone, and sounds great. Doesn't have the deep rumble of the FlowMasters, but I don't miss the drone. They are definitely louder when you hit it!

Last edited by Roy_R; 12-03-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
I have 40's on my catless h-pipe with resonators and high flow shorty headers, two problems. A) The baffles on the inside of it rust and deteriorate over time and start to rattle once they get hot enough B) they drone even after I put resonators on, not as much, but it still trumpets at a certain RPM. My recommendation, SLP Loudmouth's. **** mufflers.
You guys do realize that exhaust on a 4.6 3 valve sounds VERY different from exhaust on a 5.0? OP, be mindful of this when you are looking at videos and making a decision. Be sure to judge the sound of the exhaust from a 5.0, not a 4.6L.

FYI, the 5.0 comes stock with resonators.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Here's my exhaust before I put resonators on.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Sorry I accidentally resubmitted a form and don't know how to delete the post, can anyone help me out?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I don't have this exhaust on personally, I went with something cheaper (flowmaster outlaw axle back) for the time being, just because I wanted something louder on the car. I think the Borla S-Type is the best sounding exhaust for this car. It just fits the car very well it sounds. Very angry sounding, but deep, and sounds phenomenal at WOT:

Hope you like it too, we sell a ton of these for a great price
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
I don't have this exhaust on personally, I went with something cheaper (flowmaster outlaw axle back) for the time being, just because I wanted something louder on the car. I think the Borla S-Type is the best sounding exhaust for this car. It just fits the car very well it sounds. Very angry sounding, but deep, and sounds phenomenal at WOT:

2011 Mustang GT Borla S-Type Exhaust Refreshed - YouTube

Hope you like it too, we sell a ton of these for a great price
Wow! That does sound nice! I check them out too! Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 01:08 PM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Ok guys what is this drone sound you talk about?

Quick Reply: exhaust upgrade