Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REAR WINDOW LOUVERS LAWS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by B's 5.0
Yeah, all police officers in my opinion are under paid for the job that they have to do and I can understand the Tint Laws for the safety of the officer, but what the Motor Vehicle Administration in Maryland should do is either ( like Delaware ) put your waiver in the system so when a officer pulls your tag he will see you are legal or adopt a upper left rear window sticker showing you are legal, both will prevent unnecessary pull overs and provide a safety factor for Troopers knowing you are legal and maybe not a criminal or drug runner. Does this make any sence to you.
For a good number of years Va. didn't put the waiver on the registration either, it was a letter the driver carried and it followed a prescribed form .... it was only when the numbers grew that they set up a system to put the waiver on the registration in later years .... but that doesn't mean it's always available before a stop .... which often must either be made within a short time of observance or one must let that one go.

Different data bases.

I could almost always determine if a car was stolen if it had been reported and entered into VCIN and NCIC as such, but tint waivers are not to be entered into VCIN or NCIC .... they simply are included in the state's DMV registration files, which spend more time down (not accessible, more time down that NCIC or VCIN) for maintenance of systems. NCIC (and state's CIN like my state's VCIN) are more "urgently" needed and thus their responses are limited in scope to public safety and criminal info. States take a different view with regular vehicle info files as there is supposed to be a hard copy carried in the vehicle.

I have seen responses from normal DMV files take several minutes even when the system was operating normally .... to wait that long deciding a stop for a minor traffic or equipment violation would require someone follow someone a period of miles .... do that a couple times only to hear that no waiver is on file and soon you'll jjst pick a safe spot and make the stop and inquire as to OL and registration.

However, if Md. doesn't currently put waiver info on vehicle registration, sounds to me like maybe a movement could be started to get them to do so .... but it likely will not change stop procedures unless the officer just happens to be going that way and is checking on a vehicle that may be just ahead of or beside him on a beltway ....

Take Care .........
Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

I could not find this anywhere but, can anyone tell me "for sure" if Rear Window Louvers are legal in Maryland.
Eff the police, bro.

Last edited by Andrew Christian; 12-04-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:18 AM
B's 5.0
Banned

Originally Posted by tbear853
For a good number of years Va. didn't put the waiver on the registration either, it was a letter the driver carried and it followed a prescribed form .... it was only when the numbers grew that they set up a system to put the waiver on the registration in later years .... but that doesn't mean it's always available before a stop .... which often must either be made within a short time of observance or one must let that one go.

Different data bases.

I could almost always determine if a car was stolen if it had been reported and entered into VCIN and NCIC as such, but tint waivers are not to be entered into VCIN or NCIC .... they simply are included in the state's DMV registration files, which spend more time down (not accessible, more time down that NCIC or VCIN) for maintenance of systems. NCIC (and state's CIN like my state's VCIN) are more "urgently" needed and thus their responses are limited in scope to public safety and criminal info. States take a different view with regular vehicle info files as there is supposed to be a hard copy carried in the vehicle.

I have seen responses from normal DMV files take several minutes even when the system was operating normally .... to wait that long deciding a stop for a minor traffic or equipment violation would require someone follow someone a period of miles .... do that a couple times only to hear that no waiver is on file and soon you'll jjst pick a safe spot and make the stop and inquire as to OL and registration.

However, if Md. doesn't currently put waiver info on vehicle registration, sounds to me like maybe a movement could be started to get them to do so .... but it likely will not change stop procedures unless the officer just happens to be going that way and is checking on a vehicle that may be just ahead of or beside him on a beltway ....

Take Care .........
That is why I suggest adopting a Maryland Sticker for your Rear Window. All the trooper then needs to do is pull up along side the Vehicle see the Sticker and be on his way. You can not get any simplier then that. How much could that cost the State ?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 AM
B's 5.0
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrew Christian
Eff the police, bro.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:24 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

That is why I suggest adopting a Maryland Sticker for your Rear Window. All the trooper then needs to do is pull up along side the Vehicle see the Sticker and be on his way. You can not get any simplier then that. How much could that cost the State ?
I don't know that it would cost the state .... the'ld let the motorist pay for it .... so sounds like "a plan".

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 AM
B's 5.0
Banned

Originally Posted by Dayer
I can see it from both sides, but I do think that some states the tint law is ridiculous, ie: in MN the tint law is 50% which pretty much looks the same as no tint...

marylands law is 35% which I think is fair and looks good.
Well the problem being is that most people go out and get 35% Tint put on their windows, but then they are illegal because the windows come from the factory with Tint built into the windows and with the 35% Tint they just put on they are now at about 28% and Illegal.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:01 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Well the problem being is that most people go out and get 35% Tint put on their windows, but then they are illegal because the windows come from the factory with Tint built into the windows and with the 35% Tint they just put on they are now at about 28% and Illegal.
When I had the Merc tinted prior to our 05 trip, and because Va. required 50% VLT up frt and 35% VLT rear and rear side, and because my Merc's glass was 70% tinted glass itself (not applied, but light has to travel through it) I insisted that the installer order a rol of 70% film to do my fronts, he had some 50% in stock.

.70 X .70 = .49 and my front glass checks at 49% VLT even now so that tint film was of good quality. Car sets in a carport under a cover ususlly.
.70 X .50 = .35 and the rear side glass now checks at 33-34% which is also OK as my state's law has a 7% tolerance written into it, I'ld have been OK at 43 and 28% but that's splitting hairs, the tolerance is to avoid hair splitting.

I suspect my frt windows are illegal at .49% in Pa. .... but I accept that risk so I can drive out west in more comfort. I've never been stopped however, maybe Pa. changed their law?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:27 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

This is the vehicle INSPECTION procedure in COMAR:
http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/get...1.14.02.13.htm

Might help a little...
Old 12-04-2013, 12:28 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Check out the exception in the 2nd chart, part 2. And think it was only a 10 minute google-fu search
Old 12-04-2013, 12:41 PM
B's 5.0
Banned

Originally Posted by dlazrael
This is the vehicle INSPECTION procedure in COMAR:
http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/get...1.14.02.13.htm

Might help a little...
My question here is what does Mirrors have to do with my original question ?
"REAR WINDOW LOUVER LAWS IN MARYLAND"
:i con_shrug:

Last edited by B's 5.0; 12-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: REAR WINDOW LOUVERS LAWS