Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are convertibles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
im gonna buy the next convertible used, probably a early s197 or a new edge sn95 depending on what I can get for a good price.....so when I go to buy the car what all should I check to see if the top is in good condition?

first should I see that it goes up and down without any problems?

what else should I do?
*rips or tears around the rear window
*fading or cracks in the rear window
*rips, tears or sagging along the trim line of the top
*check all seals (especially up front) where the top connects to the car, when closed.
*with top up, check all power windows for correcting sealing and the seals around the windows.
*rips, tears or sagging on the underside of the top (top up, sitting inside car)
*rips, tears, excessive bunching or folding along the convertible top frame (you can check this if you stop the top 1/2 way and 3/4 way to full open)
*fading or discoloration along the frame lines (this is most visible with the top up. You should be able see where the frame lines are in the top). Look for discoloration, as this is a sign of water collection/pooling and most likely resulting in molding of the top. If you see this, it's not a bad thing, it's just that the top wasn't treated properly or neglected thru normal washing.
*check the retracting arms (visible from the side of the car, top full open) for any loos screws, missing screws, connections, etc.) Have someone operate the top while you watch it go thru the motions of closing/opening

bout all i can think of
Old 12-10-2013, 01:44 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
*rips or tears around the rear window
*fading or cracks in the rear window
*rips, tears or sagging along the trim line of the top
*check all seals (especially up front) where the top connects to the car, when closed.
*with top up, check all power windows for correcting sealing and the seals around the windows.
*rips, tears or sagging on the underside of the top (top up, sitting inside car)
*rips, tears, excessive bunching or folding along the convertible top frame (you can check this if you stop the top 1/2 way and 3/4 way to full open)
*fading or discoloration along the frame lines (this is most visible with the top up. You should be able see where the frame lines are in the top). Look for discoloration, as this is a sign of water collection/pooling and most likely resulting in molding of the top. If you see this, it's not a bad thing, it's just that the top wasn't treated properly or neglected thru normal washing.
*check the retracting arms (visible from the side of the car, top full open) for any loos screws, missing screws, connections, etc.) Have someone operate the top while you watch it go thru the motions of closing/opening

bout all i can think of
cool thanks for the list i'm printing it now!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

what do you mean by "quality products to maintain the top"? do you use a special kind of spray to keep it clean and repel crap? or what?
Yeah. I use Blue Magic Convertible/Canvas cleaner and protectant. It is made for use in marine applications on vinyl and canvas. Basically, any name brand cleaner and UV protectant that is made for exterior use will do. It doesn't specifically claim to repel crap, but as Steel Pony posted, RaggTopp does repel. The top itself is waterproof and keeping it in good condition and preventing cracks and fading will help it maintain its water resistance. I use it in fall and spring and my top holds up well. I will be giving RaggTopp a try in the spring. I have only heard great reviews about it.

Stay away from armor all and other interior protectants because they will get cloudy and cause white run marks down the side of the vehicle.

That is a great checklist. I think Steel Pony covered all of the major checks. Good luck searching.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The last time I had a convertible it was a sn95 and they were known for leaking into the trunk. I hear on the 2005 convertibles the convertible motors were known for going out a lot too?

I checked out a 2007 vert and the top looked like it was made of really good quality. when I drove it I couldn't hear any wind at all and the top felt almost as hard as my hardtop mustang. I seen a few vert mustangs drive around here in the snow and they seem to do alright.

I have a garage now but if by chance I am ever without a garage would the top hold up against snow piling on it overnight?

which year and up convertible do you recommend?
I had a 2005 v6 convertible and now have a 2005 GT convertible. Never a leak from the top. Cloth top is a far superior top (have on my GT). Drive/drove them both daily through the winters. A few times the car was completely covered in snow, no issues.

Love them to death and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Convertibles

I have had quite a few rag tops over the years, my first was a 1959 Chev. Jump forward to my present year round, DD, a 2006 GT 'Vert. With 120K miles on her, she has been the best car I have ever owned. Not a single leak going through high press. car wash, not a rattle or squeak in the top and surprising body rigidity . 'Verts have come a long way over the years. Like Nick Nolte said in 48 Hrs, "I'm a rag top man".
Old 12-12-2013, 02:04 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

We had a 97 vert and we have an 07 vert. Big difference in the quality. So if you're thinking that going with newer is going to be different, oh yeah. Its come a long way indeed.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I had an '88 LeBaron and a '90 Miata soft top and then a '99 SLK hard top convertible. I swore I would only get hardtop convertibles from that point on. However life through me a chance to get a '13 GT convertible and it is unbelievable how much better they are now - though if i did the math 25 years is a long time ago.

Appreciate the people who mentioned products. The GT will be parked outside for two years as I have to work remote (though it is shaded). I need to relearn how to take care of a soft top.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

This is all good news. I'm in the market for a 2013/14 vert. I had a 2011 GT/CS and loved it but always wished it was a convertible. I broke my leg and was unable to drive my GT/CS for 6 months and since I park on the street, I decided to just sell it. When it was time to buy a new car I went with a 2013 jeep wrangler because it was a great deal and I wanted something different. It's a fun car but not really for me. I love it with the top off but it's a pain in the butt. Only reinforced my plan that my next care would be a mustang convertible. They are offering great deals on the 13s and 14s.