Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are convertibles these days?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default How are convertibles these days?

The last time I had a convertible it was a sn95 and they were known for leaking into the trunk. I hear on the 2005 convertibles the convertible motors were known for going out a lot too?

I checked out a 2007 vert and the top looked like it was made of really good quality. when I drove it I couldn't hear any wind at all and the top felt almost as hard as my hardtop mustang. I seen a few vert mustangs drive around here in the snow and they seem to do alright.

I have a garage now but if by chance I am ever without a garage would the top hold up against snow piling on it overnight?

which year and up convertible do you recommend?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 AM
drukkosz
1st Gear Member

Hi,
I have 2013 and love it. I do park in garage for winter but I dont see any problems with top holding snow. The construction is very solid.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drukkosz
Hi,
I have 2013 and love it. I do park in garage for winter but I dont see any problems with top holding snow. The construction is very solid.
+1

Have a 2013 Vert, my very first Vert and the top seems very well made.
It does have it's drawbacks, like trying to clean the crap that gets lodged between the top and the trim.

It's wonderfully fun to drive, especially topless! lol
Old 12-10-2013, 09:26 AM
JimC

I had a 2006 convertible. Dropped the top every chance I could. Put 203,000 miles on the car and never had a problem with the top. (Very few with the rest of the car too!)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using IB AutoGroup
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

If any of them over the years had been an issue, they would not exist today. Had several.....an 02 and 08 now with 0 issues other than normal wear items. Cylinders will wear out over the years, the material will have to be replaced, and seals replaced which coupes would not need.

My 08 is much quieter than my 02 but 6 years is a long time in quality upgrades. I would not be afraid to buy any year out there, based on the condition of the car overall. I suggest you decide on the car style you want and then look for a vert.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I had an '02 Convertible for 5 years and never kept it in a garage. I maintained the top with quality products and it was in great condition when I traded it in. The car was 10 years old because I bought it used, but the top was original. If it was ever snowing heavily I would brush the snow off of the top every couple of hours. It was no big deal to make sure that it wouldn't sag or get messed up.

I now drive a '12 Convertible. I have a garage and only drive it in the snow if I get caught out. The top on the '12 is very good quality, better than the '02. Again, I still use top quality products to protect the top from UV rays, rain, and the rare snowy day.

I feel that any modern convertible will hold up for years so long as you maintain it properly. Convertibles definitely take more work than a coupe, but the extra fuss is so worth it and will help it last for years.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:37 AM
djklein21

I have an early 05 and have had zero issues with the top. I love the convertible option and would recommend it.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
I had an '02 Convertible for 5 years and never kept it in a garage. I maintained the top with quality products and it was in great condition when I traded it in. The car was 10 years old because I bought it used, but the top was original. If it was ever snowing heavily I would brush the snow off of the top every couple of hours. It was no big deal to make sure that it wouldn't sag or get messed up.

I now drive a '12 Convertible. I have a garage and only drive it in the snow if I get caught out. The top on the '12 is very good quality, better than the '02. Again, I still use top quality products to protect the top from UV rays, rain, and the rare snowy day.

I feel that any modern convertible will hold up for years so long as you maintain it properly. Convertibles definitely take more work than a coupe, but the extra fuss is so worth it and will help it last for years.
what do you mean by "quality products to maintain the top"? do you use a special kind of spray to keep it clean and repel crap? or what?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

im gonna buy the next convertible used, probably a early s197 or a new edge sn95 depending on what I can get for a good price.....so when I go to buy the car what all should I check to see if the top is in good condition?

first should I see that it goes up and down without any problems?

what else should I do?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
what do you mean by "quality products to maintain the top"? do you use a special kind of spray to keep it clean and repel crap? or what?
RaggTopp cleaner and protectant.
VERY good product, does what it says.
Treated my top about a month after i got the car. Only thing i did different was use a shopvac and an attachment to really get as much dirt out of the top as possible, considering the car had been sitting for nearly 8 months on the lot before i bought it.
Once it dried, rewashed and sealed. It's 4 months later and it beads water like crazy and looks like it was just put on yesterday!

http://www.autogeek.net/rafaca.html

Quick Reply: How are convertibles these days?