Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any replacements at 60k? GT mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:04 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
Thanks for the all the tips guys!

So here's what I got:

- oil change
- trans fluid change
- brake fluid flush
- power steering flush
- radiator flush
- check belts
- check plugs
- check brake pads
- wipe throttle body plates

That sound about right?
If the majority of those things haven't been done since new (or you bought the car used,) I would say yes that sounds about right. If the coolant/brakes/power steering have been flushed before there's probably no need for it again just yet. Most notably, I would say to change the oil and the trans fluid (because they're both really easy to change,) check the belts, brake pads and tires, and CHANGE, not just check the plugs if they haven't been already. They are notorious for breaking when changing so switch to a one-piece now at 60k before you have an even higher chance of breaking them at 80-90-100k.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Definitely change the plugs. If you're able to do em yourself, check out some how to's all over the web. You can check some info from the F150 guys, lots of good tips from them.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Using a cleaner especially for the purpose, clean your mass air flow sensor.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:44 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
If the majority of those things haven't been done since new (or you bought the car used,) I would say yes that sounds about right. If the coolant/brakes/power steering have been flushed before there's probably no need for it again just yet. Most notably, I would say to change the oil and the trans fluid (because they're both really easy to change,) check the belts, brake pads and tires, and CHANGE, not just check the plugs if they haven't been already. They are notorious for breaking when changing so switch to a one-piece now at 60k before you have an even higher chance of breaking them at 80-90-100k.
k thanks. What do you mean "one-piece"? Is this a different type of plug?
Old 12-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Yes. Champion makes a one piece, double platinum plug.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Hory ****.

Talked to my local dealership, in GA. I've been to them before, they do a great job.

They want about $900 to do everything. Does that sound right? Should I shop around?

The guy I spoke to said this was actually a good deal, because if he priced the jobs individually they would be more:

ie trans fluid flush (159), brake fluid flush (129), power steering flush (159), sparkplug replace (299), coolant (129), throttle body service (159), etc..
Old 12-16-2013, 11:48 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
Hory ****.

Talked to my local dealership, in GA. I've been to them before, they do a great job.

They want about $900 to do everything. Does that sound right? Should I shop around?

The guy I spoke to said this was actually a good deal, because if he priced the jobs individually they would be more:

ie trans fluid flush (159), brake fluid flush (129), power steering flush (159), sparkplug replace (299), coolant (129), throttle body service (159), etc..
Not surprised. They don't call dealerships stealerships for nothing. However, that is probably the ball park in price. My advice: read up on how to do most of the things yourself and you'll save a ton of money. Most of it only takes a little know how, the right tools and common sense.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yes that is a good deal ($900)...for a dealership. Keep in mind their hourly labor rate these days is around $100 an hour.

For the plugs, you might want to ask for clarification on that one specifically...does it include the cost of replacing a plug if they break one in the process?

Most don't cover plug breakage even if they do it. They charge a separate fee for trying to get it out if they do break one...and if they can't...you're on the hook for the head removal cost to fix the problem.

Don't forget your Differential Fluid (rear axle) .

For Brake fluid, start at the back of the car furthest away from the MC and work your way to the nearest wheel to the MC.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Yes that is a good deal ($900)...for a dealership. Keep in mind their hourly labor rate these days is around $100 an hour.

For the plugs, you might want to ask for clarification on that one specifically...does it include the cost of replacing a plug if they break one in the process?

Most don't cover plug breakage even if they do it. They charge a separate fee for trying to get it out if they do break one...and if they can't...you're on the hook for the head removal cost to fix the problem.

Don't forget your Differential Fluid (rear axle) .

For Brake fluid, start at the back of the car furthest away from the MC and work your way to the nearest wheel to the MC.
Good point. I would ask the dealership that as well. If that covers any breaking, that's a pretty good deal.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

If the car is running okay, I would consider not changing the plugs at this time. I would consider it even more if the quoted price does not include dealing with a plug if it breaks. Also, is the dealer going to use the Champion plugs or just put in two piece Motorcrafts? Some dealers insist on using only Ford/Motorcraft parts, while others may use what you want. If the dealer insists on using Motorcraft plugs, I would go elsewhere for the plug change.

Quick Reply: Any replacements at 60k? GT mustang