Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's a Noise I've Never Heard Before

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation Here's a Noise I've Never Heard Before

Just started noticing it yesterday. I have zero idea on what it could be, has to be drivetrain related, I hear it coming from the rear. I tried having my girlfriend film outside the car shortly after I took the video, but I couldn't reproduce it. However, today on my way to and from work I could hear it, so it's only happening after the car is warmed up. I haven't done anything to the car apart from having my axles and panhard bar swapped a few weeks ago.

You may have to crank up your volume or put your ear to the speakers, but it's that "baby jet turbine" noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmC...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-16-2013, 06:46 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

It's hard to tell from the video, but it sounds like speaker whine. Was the radio off? Other than that all I can think of is rear end (although it's too high pitched) or a supercharger leak. You said it's coming from the rear but cars have a way of projecting sounds away from the source. Try it with the hood open too see if you can pinpoint where it's coming from.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a supercharger to me!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

It's definitely not the supercharger, or the speakers. I would try it with the hood open, but the problem is that I can only hear it while it's rolling. I know it's coming from the rear, because I drove slowly past some concrete pillars and only heard it when the back tires were passing it.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I have a very high pitch jet turbine sounding whine, and its my transmission. I got used to it and i kind of like it now.

I have a mt82 though and mine gets higher as i go faster in gear and goes away when i push the clutch in.

Yours just sounds kind of like a centrifugal supercharger, since you dont have a centrifugal though it could be the intake filter making a high pitch breathing noise. anyway it sounds good.

Last edited by Andy13186; 12-16-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:45 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
I have a very high pitch jet turbine sounding whine, and its my transmission. I got used to it and i kind of like it now.

I have a mt82 though and mine gets higher as i go faster in gear and goes away when i push the clutch in.

Yours just sounds kind of like a centrifugal supercharger, since you dont have a centrifugal though it could be the intake filter making a high pitch breathing noise. anyway it sounds good.
Well, my transmission does whine but it has never made this noise. I know the sound you're talking about and I like it to, makes it sound like a racecar with straight cut gears. The fact that it's coming from the rear leads me to believe it has something to do with the diff.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Well, my transmission does whine but it has never made this noise. I know the sound you're talking about and I like it to, makes it sound like a racecar with straight cut gears. The fact that it's coming from the rear leads me to believe it has something to do with the diff.
The rear end would make the most sense. Especially since your car recently took a hit hard enough to bend the axle. With the way the axle shafts are tied into the differential it is very likely that something got tweaked.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:13 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Anything guys? I'm at a total loss here and won't be able to check it out for another week.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Silver_Stang_05
1st Gear Member

If it's related to axel or drivetrain the noise would "speed up" as the car did and possibly get louder. Is this the case?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Stang_05
If it's related to axel or drivetrain the noise would "speed up" as the car did and possibly get louder. Is this the case?
Yes. The pitch gets higher. It's only on very very low speeds though, like 5mph or below. Does it regardless if I'm in first or reverse or neutral.

Quick Reply: Here's a Noise I've Never Heard Before