Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by paruchda
UPDATE 1: Got a very little more info from service rep (but need to talk face to face.)

- New engine quoted cost $6,800.
BUT that may not fix the issue. Could cost another $1,600 but I was not following at that point & do not know what that was for.

Dealer service rep tells me half of the engine is not producing power. (Still don't have a good answer as to what's wrong -- I don't think they know.) They say they can tear open the engine and figure out what's wrong & rebuild it, but it would probably be cheaper to put in a new engine.

Thanks for feedback everyone! Hope to get more facts tomorrow at the dealership.
Take it to someone else that is reputable in your area. This "stealership" seems to be lubing you up for a good thrashing...

4.6L 3V V8 Engine/Transmission/Harness Low Mileage...
Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Wow, Have you checked the classified section. I know there a few people that are selling long blocks for much much less. Sounds like the dealership is gonna find a way to take you to the bone yard. Its surprising to me that the engine is done with only 100k.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:45 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

Here is another solution. Try to find one out of a wrecking yard with low mileage, maybe out of an 09 or 10. I got my mustang as a birthday gift a few years ago. It was a project for me. It had a blown motor. I bought a motor from a wrecking yard that had 27,000 miles on it for $1,200, and had it installed for $500. Been running like a brand new car ever since.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:03 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I'd go ahead and take your car from that dealership ASAP...
Old 12-18-2013, 10:34 AM
paruchda

UPDATE # 3: Talked with service rep and mechanic.

Here were the error codes: PO300, PO305, PO022, & PO018.

The mechanic said the entire left bank of the engine is not functioning. He says the timing is off and compression is low. He sees sludge around oil cap & said he can see sludge in the engine (he is confident he'd see more if he took apart the engine). He said the VGT system failed (he talked like it was a problematic system). Frustrating because I did consistently, regularly change my oil.

The service rep quoted a new engine at $6800 including installation and an additional $1600 for coils and injectors ($100/each x 8), which they recommend.

Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited by paruchda; 12-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM
paruchda

Correction... an additional $1600 for coils and injectors (not $1800).
Originally Posted by paruchda
an additional $1800 for coils and injectors ($100/each x 8), which they recommend.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

They're boning you dude, they call them stealerships for a reason. You could get a built motor for around that cost...
Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 PM
paruchda

Here are my check engine error codes (full descriptions/possible causes below):
P0018 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 2 Sensor A
P0022 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
P0300 - Random Misfire Detected
P030x - Cylinder x Misfire Detected (Mine P0305)

Thoughts on underlying cause or next course of action?
I'm considering having it towed to a different mechanic to see what they might say.

Thanks!
-------------------
Full error code descriptions & possible causes
P0018 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 2 Sensor A
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the variable camshaft timing (VCT) position for a misalignment between the camshaft and crankshaft. The test fails when the misalignment is greater than 1 tooth.
Possible Causes:
- Worn timing chain tensioner
- Worn timing chain tensioner arm
- Loose timing chain
Diagnostic Aids: Check or adjust the timing.

P0022 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the variable camshaft timing (VCT) position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.

Possible Causes:
- Camshaft timing improperly set
- Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
- VCT solenoid valve stuck open
- Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit)
Diagnostic Aids: This DTC is a functional check of the VCT unit. Diagnose any base engine concerns related to the engine oil pressure or engine timing.

P0300 - Random Misfire Detected
Description: The random misfire DTC indicates multiple cylinders are misfiring or the powertrain control module (PCM) cannot identify which cylinder is misfiring.
Possible Causes:
- Camshaft position sensor (CMP)
- Low fuel (less than 1/8 tank)
- Stuck open EGR valve
- Blocked EGR passages
Diagnostic Aids: One or more EGR passages may be blocked or partially blocked. If this is the case the misfire detection monitor indicates the EGR port to check for possible blockage.

P030x - Cylinder x Misfire Detected (Mine P0305)
Description: NOTE: x represents cylinder numbers 1 through 9.
The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.
Possible Causes:
- Ignition system
- Fuel injectors
- Running out of fuel
- EVAP canister purge valve
- Fuel pressure
- Evaporative emission system
- EGR system
- Base engine

Last edited by paruchda; 12-18-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:15 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Let me save you the trouble...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108905

good luck!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:53 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

You would be looking at about 8k for a brenspeed 302. The components have went up in price to I believe around 2700 this dies not include the 1500 in gaskets and other hardware needed. Then you factor in the cost of actually building the motor, break in, tuning and what not. I'd certainly take it to a specialized shop.

I have a friend that took their crv to the dealership fir some weird vibrations between the 2nd and 3rd gear shift points. The lady said she needed a new tranny and quoted 4500. Then followed that up by saying they had some nice used crv and of course new ones. So she took it to muffler and more. She told them the dealer said she needed a new tyrant so they did not do an evaluation of the car. They took her word for it. They installed new tranny and the vibration was still there. Come to find out she needed a new drive shaft. They installed driveshaft and wouldn't you know that was the cause

The tranny was used with low miles so they charged her 3000 fir that and then the driveshaft was 500. Crazy ****

Quick Reply: New engine cost?