Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joined the crash club Monday :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:01 AM
B's 5.0
Banned

Originally Posted by Silver_Stang_05
Grrrrrrrrr, I cannot STAND seeing girls and their phones on the road (and yes, I know guys do it to). Even my wife, soon as she leaves the house see get's on the phone. She at least uses the bluetooth in the car, but damn, isn't there enough going on in the car??? I honest saw a woman on the freeway the other day with her iPad placed on her steering wheel typing away. Anytime I see **** like that I yell at them to hang up and drive! My wife know's if I'm driving I won't even answer the phone....I mean how can one drive, shift and hold a beer be expected to answer a phone!!!
Your right, we cannot spill that beer.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:26 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by B's 5.0
That's why Insurance is so high. In Maryland you have on your insurance policy what is called uninsured motorist insurance, which covers people who do not have insurance. The worst State with uninsured motorist is Virginia on the East Coast. ... etc ....

Some familiar with it (not sure what is so bad about it?) .... I've had "Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist" coverage on my policy since 1976 and before that, I had it but I was on my Mom's policy. I have it now on 4 cars, a Forester, two PUs, and three MCs. It's not very high .... (really, only like $40 a year ) .... and it's let's me go after the state's uninsured motorist fund if someone causes me harm and they are either uninsured or not insured well enough to cover my loss entirely.

"Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist" coverage is not "insurance" for those who pay it to get tags and who have no mother insurance (and it's hundreds $$$) , it does not protect one from lawsuits or other result of their actions. It only goes into the funbd to protect the other guy in the case you cause him harm .... he can still come after you in a court. He pays much less on his policy just for the right to recover from the fund.

Of of those 10 vehicles, all have higher liability limits than required by law and med coverage, but only one PU, two cars, the Forester, and one MC have Comp / Collision for if I screw up and damage my stuff. My last ticket was 1977 for inspection, my last moving violation was 1975, my last claim of any kind was $1,007.26 ($50 deductible since 1976 still) for the frt bumper / bumper upper cover fix after a "Bambi Attack" in 2010 made on my '07 FX4. Before that it was a claim for $1,000 hail damage in late 1980s on my '85 Bird. I feel I am a decent risk now, but in 1976 I was thrown off my Mom's policy by State Farm and so then I went with Earie Insurance and now have guaranteed accident and ticket forgiveness because of my claim record.

I don't like driving in eastern 2/3rds of Md. at all (I will sometimes go up Rt 340 or Rt 522/I-70 and west) .... too much like the NoVa area which I also avoid like the plague.
Atlanta is tame by comparison IMHO and I go down there a couple times a year.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-20-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:42 PM
B's 5.0
Banned

Originally Posted by tbear853
Some familiar with it (not sure what is so bad about it?) .... I've had "Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist" coverage on my policy since 1976 and before that, I had it but I was on my Mom's policy. I have it now on 4 cars, a Forester, two PUs, and three MCs. It's not very high .... (really, only like $40 a year ) .... and it's let's me go after the state's uninsured motorist fund if someone causes me harm and they are either uninsured or not insured well enough to cover my loss entirely.

"Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist" coverage is not "insurance" for those who pay it to get tags and who have no mother insurance (and it's hundreds $$$) , it does not protect one from lawsuits or other result of their actions. It only goes into the funbd to protect the other guy in the case you cause him harm .... he can still come after you in a court. He pays much less on his policy just for the right to recover from the fund.

Of of those 10 vehicles, all have higher liability limits than required by law and med coverage, but only one PU, two cars, the Forester, and one MC have Comp / Collision for if I screw up and damage my stuff. My last ticket was 1977 for inspection, my last moving violation was 1975, my last claim of any kind was $1,007.26 ($50 deductible since 1976 still) for the frt bumper / bumper upper cover fix after a "Bambi Attack" in 2010 made on my '07 FX4. Before that it was a claim for $1,000 hail damage in late 1980s on my '85 Bird. I feel I am a decent risk now, but in 1976 I was thrown off my Mom's policy by State Farm and so then I went with Earie Insurance and now have guaranteed accident and ticket forgiveness because of my claim record.

I don't like driving in eastern 2/3rds of Md. at all (I will sometimes go up Rt 340 or Rt 522/I-70 and west) .... too much like the NoVa area which I also avoid like the plague.
Atlanta is tame by comparison IMHO and I go down there a couple times a year.

"DAMN"
Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

I called her insurance today and at first claimed they needed to handle both property and diminished value claims. I told them no, and after a conference call with my insurance they are going to handle it. I'm just not sure what the diminished value is on a $31K car with $10K worth of damage is.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 PM
B&B's GT
Banned

Sorry to hear about your accident too.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by B's 5.0
"DAMN"
Haha .... I was just making the point about "uninsured/underinsured motorist" coverage that we pay for on each vehicle as part of our policy, it's a small price to pay to enable me to seek recovery from a fund if I am injured or my stuff tore up by any motorist that is either uninsured or underinsured, and I can still go after them separately.

I wasn't meaning to bash or anything, just esplainin' .... that yes, any auto policy in Va. has the coverage and you have to take it, but it ain't a bad thing.

We do have a lot of uninsured drivers, way too many .... and I used to catch them often. Often, if I stopped one I just suspected didn't have insurance at required levels, I issued a FR422 to them on the spot. It was not a ticket, involved no fines, .... but it required them to show proof of coverage at required levels on that vehicle and that person at that time on that date (Ins Cos will not back date a new policy in Va.). They just needed to insert ins co name / policy number / and sign and return within 30 days to DMV. If they failed to, or if the info was wrong .... ouch (DMV would follow up with ins co) ..... suspension of veh tags and drivers license ... like

The Virginia Uninsured Motor Vehicle (UMV) fee allows a motor vehicle owner to register an uninsured motor vehicle. At the time of registration, the motor vehicle owner must certify whether the vehicle is insured or uninsured.

If the vehicle is uninsured, the motor vehicle owner is required to pay to DMV a $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee in addition to normal registration fees. Payment of the $500 fee does not provide the motorist with any insurance coverage. If involved in an accident, the uninsured motorist remains personally liable. This fee is valid for twelve months but may be prorated for a shorter amount of time.

Motor vehicle owners who falsely certify that they have insurance and are found by DMV to be uninsured face stiff penalties. In addition to facing suspension of all driver and registration privileges, compliance includes payment of a $500 statutory fee, a $145 reinstatement fee and filing proof of insurance for three years. During the three-year period, insurance companies cooperate with DMV by providing notification if a policy is canceled. This requirement to maintain proof of insurance enables DMV to ensure that these motor vehicle owners maintain liability insurance on their registered vehicles
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#uninsured_fee.asp

Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by J95SNAKE
Some lady pulled out in front of me on Monday. Lunch time combined with the holidays and traffic turns nuts. She decided to attempt to cross 5 lanes of traffic to get where she wanted to go. I was in lane 2. She claimed she never saw me. Well, if you don't stop to look, you won't see anyone until you smack the hell out of them. I was able to steer away from her and lessen the impact. I definitely didn't want steak for lunch that day. The other driver had to go the hospital because she smacked her airbag with her melon. I don't think she had her belt on. Car is at the shop with $10K worth of damage. The only thing they need to straighten is the radiator support. Big things needed are a hood, headlights, front clip, whee/tire and a fender. Headlights were a grand. Hopefully they do a good job. They estimated 3 Jan for pick up.
Hell...that sucks. Make sure you ding her insurance for the depreciation.

Resale for car in perfect condition minus resale of car which has been rebuilt after an accident. Could be thousands.

Last edited by potman; 01-09-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 PM
J95SNAKE
1st Gear Member

I got her back on Monday. It was ready on the 3rd as promised but I was unable to pick her up. She looks pretty good. I have no complaints on the repair. They did an excellent job.
Attached Thumbnails Joined the crash club Monday :(-repair-2.jpg   Joined the crash club Monday :(-repair-3.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Looks like nothin happened
Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Looks great, good thing you were not hurt. Cars can be fixed..

Quick Reply: Joined the crash club Monday :(