Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels, New Tires (Beaten to Death but I Need Help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 02:07 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Default New Wheels, New Tires (Beaten to Death but I Need Help)

Aight guys, as some of you might know I jacked my car up pretty good on a curb. Regardless of this I need to get new front tires because my strut mounts fell apart again (just ordered Steeda HDs), and my brand new rear driver got messed up from the collision so I'l just going to say the hell with it and get a whole new set and keep the one good rear one as a backup.

The drivers rims are trashed, so I'm thinking about swapping out my Lorenzo WL28s for some XXR 535s (opinions?)

Old

New

Anyways, I'm running a staggered set up right now (245/40/18 Front and 285/35/18 Rear), but I think I want to go 285 all the way around. My question is is it worth it?
My front rims are too narrow to fit those now, but before I go all out and order all this I wanted to hear some opinions on what I should stick with. This car is daily driven and I don't need to have it handling like a race car, but if I will get a significant amount of understeer reduced and have to ability to rotate my tires I think it would be worth it, even though I'll lose the staggered look.

Thoughts?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I like the Lorenzos better personally but only because the XXR's look a little plain. However your ride alreadyseem to have a fair amount of bling so maybe that will look good that way. Either way you can't go wrong.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Yeah the car came with the Lorenzos, wouldn't have been my first choice but I have no complaints with them. If I got the XXRs I would get some polished extended lugs to accentuate them a little better.

What about tire setup though, do you think making the jump to 285s all around would be worth it?
Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I like the Lorenzos better personally but only because the XXR's look a little plain. However your ride alreadyseem to have a fair amount of bling so maybe that will look good that way. Either way you can't go wrong.
Haha, I like XXR for the opposite reason, to me the Lorenzos look busy.

Either one will look good however and compliment the white nicely.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:28 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Yeah the car came with the Lorenzos, wouldn't have been my first choice but I have no complaints with them. If I got the XXRs I would get some polished extended lugs to accentuate them a little better. What about tire setup though, do you think making the jump to 285s all around would be worth it?
I'm pretty sure 285's up front will not fit without modifications/rubbing. If I'm correct, 255 or 265s are the best maximum fit in the front.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

You can run a 285 tire on a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel. Putting big wheels on all 4 corners is all about nailing the offsets. An 18x10 with a +42 offset should fit all around.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:33 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
You can run a 285 tire on a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel. Putting big wheels on all 4 corners is all about nailing the offsets. An 18x10 with a +42 offset should fit all around.
Why such a high offset? I'm a big fan of the deep dish look so I was really looking at no offset or maybe even a little negative.

Also my friend has a Dan Gurney Saleen with 285s all around out the door, but if I remember correctly Saleen literally swaps EVERYTHING out so maybe he's got some extra clearance down there?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Vyacheslav Molotov

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Why such a high offset? I'm a big fan of the deep dish look so I was really looking at no offset or maybe even a little negative.

Also my friend has a Dan Gurney Saleen with 285s all around out the door, but if I remember correctly Saleen literally swaps EVERYTHING out so maybe he's got some extra clearance down there?
My S281 E has 275s on all corners with no issues of rubbing, even on the extreme I don't think Saleen modified the wheel well in terms of allowing for wider rubber.

If you increase the wheel width, without increasing the offset, you are going to end up with rims sticking out of the wheel wells. Something int he neighborhood of +42 on a 10 inch rim will keep them quite flush with the fender.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:13 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

I actually just looking at buying the S197 Saleen wheels that AM has.

I was just considering how sick I am of the wheel well gaps and that I'd love to mount some 18x10's with 285's all the way around. Looking at a 1.5 inch drop all the way around and I can only imagine that an offset would be needed.

Wouldn't some spacers fix this?

Will they fit says it would be 4.1 mm closer on the insider and 31.4mm further out on the outside.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:13 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I tend to stay away from spacers, but regardless on a lower car if you had spacers they wouldn't clear the quarter panels, you'd have to roll the fender.

Quick Reply: New Wheels, New Tires (Beaten to Death but I Need Help)