Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would a throttle body give me any gains?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default would a throttle body give me any gains?

currently got bama tune and getting a CAI soon

plan to order a throttlebody next month, would it be worth the gains?

I hear some people say they are paper weights unless u have cams/longtubes, etc.. but i talked to 2 AM reps who said the BBK 62mm throttle body alone can give 15-20 RWHP and 20-25 RWTQ?

Last edited by RazorGT; 12-20-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:27 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

From what I understand, the stock throttle body flows just fine as is for a mostly stock engine. Unless you've done a lot of other work, like you mentioned cams, LTs, intake, etc, it's mostly just a waste. Not a chance in hell you're going to see 25-35 RWHP on a otherwise stock except for the CAI engine. There are a lot better ways to spend that money for now.

Last edited by AJ06GT; 12-19-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

Purchased and installed the FRPP 62mm throttle body. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the tune.
You get what you pay for and most of my friends have had issues with the BBK.
The FRPP is a plug n' play modification. I haven't been back to the dyno-jet yet but my seat of the pants driving feels more responsive.
I would think it's a 10-15 HP gain at most (JMO).
I'm currently saving money for the VMP M90 supercharger internals upgrade. That should give me the power!

Last edited by 427Roush; 12-19-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Do not let reps trap u with hp claims. It's entirely untrue. Do not buy this it will never be any use to you and your goals. I have thought about it but I can't justify the 500 bucks for 10 hp and that's probably a big if in my case even with my mods.

My suggestion for you is too look into a CAI. Oil separator, gears, cams, of course this all has to in reference to your financial capabilities. If u make really good money get FI.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
i talked to 2 AM reps who said the BBK 62mm throttle body alone can give 25-35 RWHP?
That really makes me sad.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
That really makes me sad.
I made a mistake, they said 15-20 RWHP and 20-25 RWTQ

I think they were just going by what it says on the product description page on the website.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I made a mistake, they said 15-20 RWHP and 20-25 RWTQ

I think they were just going by what it says on the product description page on the website.
Razor it's still a mistake telling you that. It's not good business. I'd like to see american muscles response bc if this is becoming business practice I may never go there again
Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Razor it's still a mistake telling you that. It's not good business. I'd like to see american muscles response bc if this is becoming business practice I may never go there again
it was the reps on the phone, maybe they don't know as much as the forum AM people (the forum AM people seem cool, though one of them said I need to get a bunch of other suspension upgrades if I lower car my car or it wont sit right :S )

other wise I LOVE AM and BAMA, camaros don't have a site like them!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:26 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

currently got bama tune and getting a CAI soon

plan to order a throttlebody next month, would it be worth the gains?

I hear some people say they are paper weights unless u have cams/longtubes, etc.. but i talked to 2 AM reps who said the BBK 62mm throttle body alone can give 15-20 RWHP and 20-25 RWTQ?
You will definitely see some small gains from an aftermarket throttle body, however you're not going to see 20-25 HP with a Tune and CAI only Mustang. A Throttle body is definitely a platform mod and will show more gains as you get more involved with modding your Mustang!

I for one installed a 90MM FRPP TB on my 2011 GT and definitely noticed some improvements with the throttle response but the power gains weren't huge. Before and after the gains were about 8-10 RWHP! In my opinion it was worth it because it did pick up some power, it looks great for shows and the added throttle response is cool. I also am installing Heads/Cam/Nitrous in the next few weeks so it will definitely be worth it then!

I hope this helps and clears things up. I'll also make sure our Reps understand realistic power gains with a product like this!

-Dan
Old 12-20-2013, 09:50 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
You will definitely see some small gains from an aftermarket throttle body, however you're not going to see 20-25 HP with a Tune and CAI only Mustang. A Throttle body is definitely a platform mod and will show more gains as you get more involved with modding your Mustang!

I for one installed a 90MM FRPP TB on my 2011 GT and definitely noticed some improvements with the throttle response but the power gains weren't huge. Before and after the gains were about 8-10 RWHP! In my opinion it was worth it because it did pick up some power, it looks great for shows and the added throttle response is cool. I also am installing Heads/Cam/Nitrous in the next few weeks so it will definitely be worth it then!

I hope this helps and clears things up. I'll also make sure our Reps understand realistic power gains with a product like this!

-Dan
ah thanks,

damn dude how many mustangs do u have?? ur profile says u got a boss, and u got a 2011 GT and ur modding it out so expensively?? AM paying 6 figures??

Quick Reply: would a throttle body give me any gains?