Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You're not alone. I spend very little on my car compared to most. My mods are in my sig. Plus Chin spoiler and stripes. $18k buying the car with maybe $4k in mods. I spend my money elsewhere enjoying this rather short life on things like snowboarding, motocross, boating, fishing, hiking, my family.

My car passion is keeping it in top condition, inside/out/under the hood without modifying the crap out of it. I have a buddy that dumped $25k of deployment money into his car. He won't ever see that money again! Imagine all the cool **** he could have bought? He won't even drive his garage queen in dust/rain/snow/windy days. What's the point?
The way I see it...people who race these cars that they dump money into to look pretty are idiots. Insurance will see how you crashed it and tell you to get bent. Want a fast car, get one you don't care to crash and dump the cash into a drivetrain that could be salvageable and put into a new car. If you want a pretty car, don't make it fast unless you can eat the money in the worst case scenario.

Last edited by Ricardo; 01-03-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Just to completely contradict my previous post, the chicks dig it too.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I'm really trying not to spend too much but I found myself emailing JBA Racing. Thinking about having them install their cat back performance exhaust. Said it would give a bit more umph with minimal drone.

It's a sad addiction!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

I didn't plan on posting in this thread but what exactly defines 'modding'? Some people are saying they don't spend much but about 2-5K. What's a high amount? The truth is that many people who buy cars like Mustangs want to make it their own and don't find it fun driving it stock. If you're talking about sc'ing etc, no, I don't mod my car. But like everyone else, I do the normal stuff and a few appearance mods. A lot of my mod money was basically found money as it was birthday gifts, christmas gifts, side job money, etc. I do agree that financing mods isn't the best idea. However, like some others here, I don't waste my money on stupid ****. I don't do drugs and I barely ever drink, so this is what I want to spend my money on. I have done all the work myself so that saves a good bit of money, and a lot of times all I'm doing is upgrading to aftermarket something that needs or will need replacing in the future. It's a hobby.

People are free to do what they want with their money. When someone who goes out every weekend to bars and clubs dropping a few benjamins a week, or someone who smokes (anything) that drops a few benjamins a week tries to lecture me about my car, I put them in their place. Mods may not add value to the car but our cars have good residual value and it's more of a waste on your health, life AND pocket to do things like that rather than modify a car to your liking.

I'm a senior in college and work two jobs. I do not make a lot of money at all. But I'm good at managing it and pull it off.

Last edited by mustangspotential; 01-03-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I mod my car for one reason: to make me happy.

I don't care if American Muscle is laughing all the way to the bank, nor do I care how much any of them make. They're good folks with a good business, so I have no problem shoveling my money towards them.

Modding my car relieves stress from my insane job. When I leave work after a rough day, sit in my car, fire it up, and think "GOD D%MN I love this thing" and tear up the street, then go home and pull things apart just to put them back together again for a few hours, with no one to talk to or think about, I feel like I could take on the world again. When I got home from my deployment I quite literally spent a month under/around my car doing everything to it I dreamed of (and could afford). I don't care what anyone else thinks of it. It's MINE, and I work my *** off to make it that way. I want it to be faster, sexier, and quicker around the turns for one reason only: because I f***ing love the adrenaline that tears through my veins when MY MUSTANG roars to life.
Just to completely contradict my previous post, the chicks dig it too.
You are the ****ing man. I'm not nearly as badass as you, but I share precisely the same feelings.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

some very true posts here
i know some clown that spends his entire pay check every month on a 30 yeaar old rusty volvo..never ending amounts of money he throws into it..
i told him he might as well get his salary each month and set light to it..all the money he has spent so far he could have saved up and bought a skyline or subaru..
i wont be spending a single penny on my stang..money is too hard to earn to sling it all away on a car.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 AM
B's 5.0
Banned

I mod my car for one reason: to make me happy.

I don't care if American Muscle is laughing all the way to the bank, nor do I care how much any of them make. They're good folks with a good business, so I have no problem shoveling my money towards them.

Modding my car relieves stress from my insane job. When I leave work after a rough day, sit in my car, fire it up, and think "GOD D%MN I love this thing" and tear up the street, then go home and pull things apart just to put them back together again for a few hours, with no one to talk to or think about, I feel like I could take on the world again. When I got home from my deployment I quite literally spent a month under/around my car doing everything to it I dreamed of (and could afford). I don't care what anyone else thinks of it. It's MINE, and I work my *** off to make it that way. I want it to be faster, sexier, and quicker around the turns for one reason only: because I f***ing love the adrenaline that tears through my veins when MY MUSTANG roars to life.

Could not have said it any better.

Last edited by B's 5.0; 01-04-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The fun is the modding.
The $$ spent is just coincidental.
I have got back 10 fold the $$ I spent.
I do not expect to get it back when the
stang is (if it ever is) sold...

"When I leave work after a rough day,
sit in my car, fire it up, and think "GOD D%MN
I love this thing" and tear up the street,"

ditto...
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I have to agree and echo similiar sentiment with the above posters. It's all about individual tastes. Sometimes I feel I went a little overboard with the polyurethane add ons with my car (lol), but at the end of the day I still have fun when I drive it (which is very rare these days).

I have seen some cars that just look so overdone, but it's really all about what makes someone happy. I have seen others with just a few appearance mods and more mechanical upgrades that were down right sexy.

That's the beauty of the mustang. You can throw all kinds of money at it, or you can leave it untouched. It's still a mustang, and it comes "preloaded" with all kinds of fun! I have had more fun with these cars than any I've had before. With that said, I live in the northeast region, and I really wouldn't want the mustang to be my prime mode of transportation. So I have to divide my interests (and spending money) between the mustang and my daily driver. Either way you go, it is going to cost you $.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

At 50 I'm at an age to have grown up during the first muscle car era but too young to have been able to get one off the lot. By the time I was old enough to drive it was the late 70s and we all know how crappy those cars were at that time. My parents gave me a Pinto to drive to high school because of gas prices.

I view the time we are living in now as muscle car era 2.0. Soon the government regulations will come down and the hp we see now will be gone.

So when I bought my 2014 Mustang I thought of what I wished people did back in the 60s. I wish there were more stock muscle cars around for people to enjoy. So any mods I do are only those that can be changes back to stock.

In 20-30 years our cars may be remembered as that great muscle car 2.0 era and I believe people will be wanting to get their hands on them just as people are wanting cars from the first muscle car era.

Even though my car is a DD and I really enjoy the mods I've done to it I like the simplicity of the stock look. It takes me back to the good old days.

Quick Reply: is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?