Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:23 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

I've never kept a car long enough to make it worth it to me to put lots of extra money into one. I can always find tons of things I'd like to do but end up doing just a few things to make my vehicles individual from the others, wheels has always been a must because imo most Ford wheels are not very attractive and too skinny. A few other things here and there, tint the lights, blacked out badges, just minor stuff because I know I ain't getting any of that money back out of it when I trade.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
There you have it! It's as simple as that. I commonly hear other people say "It is what it is..." Basically the same thing you're expressing.

Shane
I hate that saying, "It is what it is"

It tells me someone has given up and isn't trying anymore.

I did some mods to my car, pretty minimal but enough to get me to where I wanted the car to be.
I don't have boat loads of income and certainly precious little disposable income despite having the same job for 31 years now.
But I do get to a trackday every now and then, I like to go a little fast through some nice twisty roads out in the country and I enjoy shifting through the gearbox. Even more so now that I installed a short throw shifter.
Other than the stripe kit so it wasn't just all "gotta have it green" all my mods have been functional and at about $2000 total, add that to a car I got for a song at under $22k out the door. I am okay with a $24k cost. I figure I will grow bored with it in another 4-5 years and get the newest version Mustang and again be happy. In the meantime I enjoy everytime I get in it and go vroom.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
For the most part, with very few exceptions, cars are NOT investments, in any way, shape, or form.

I bought a base Mustang GT primarily because I knew I'd be replacing most of the suspension with aftermarket. To be clear though, I do what I do with my car for one person only. Me. I have no expectations of getting any of the money I put into my car back.

And Advertisements are BS, across the board, period. That's just a fact of life.
+1. I modded my stang the way it is for myself. Exhaust mods for the loud mean sound, and everything else other than the CAI & tune, which was to get rid of the economical state it came in, for the look. I installed a radio because it needed a better one with AUX USB and bluetooth, the rims make it look great to me, and the soon-to-be 1.4" drop + dampeners to bring that together as well as the entire cars handling.

I also do these because i enjoy it. The long tube headers took me 17 hours with all the problems i ran into and it was a pain in the *** dont get me wrong.. my car was on cinderblocks for 2 days, and i couldnt have been dirtier by the end of each day with grease dirt and grit from my finger to my face. And at the end when i started the thing up, thats when it all became worth it. Aside from the sound difference and gains, the accomplishment of what i had just done felt amazing, that i was able to take on such a job that people always warn others about and completed it.

The way i think of it, im a soon to be college grad making good money for myself so i might as well live it up now doing a few things i enjoy most. Come a few years later when ill be married and have more bills and other stuff is when things will change for me.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
Come a few years later when ill be married and have more bills and other stuff is when things will change for me.
That does not have to mean giving up the hobby altogether, or resigning yourself to driving minivans, boring little commuter cars, and what-not.

The difference would be that the Mustang you buy 30 or more years from now could be one more in an string of fun cars you owned (not necessarily all Mustangs, but all fun to drive on some level) or it could be a mid-life crisis purchase in a futile attempt to make up for lost time. Your choice.

As seen from the other end of the career.

Norm
Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
That does not have to mean giving up the hobby altogether, or resigning yourself to driving minivans, boring little commuter cars, and what-not.
Of course not. I don't plan on it either but right now I feel like I won't have as much time to dedicate to the modding so I would at least do small things like axlebacks or something. At that time id be happy with a stock gt or gt500. I'd be more than satisfied knowing that the car is great the way it is out of the factory, and that I don't have to drive a Toyota camery (not that there's anything wrong with it, just not for me).
Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Or when things either break or wear out - upgrade instead of simply replace with OE-level.

Norm
Old 01-20-2014, 01:24 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I don't feel the need to mod my Mustang. The sucker sticker'd out for almost $42,000! It has every option you can think of. I think some of the options have options! It's got 420 HP. I don't need to go any faster. Nice 19" wheels. Brembo brakes. Rear camera with parking aid. I did put MRT louvers on the back to block out some sun but that's it. I like it the way it is.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhawkr
I don't feel the need to mod my Mustang. The sucker sticker'd out for almost $42,000! It has every option you can think of. I think some of the options have options!.
Ultimately the key thought is right behind that one.

Every option you (or I) could think of for our own cars may not match up with somebody else's list.

My '08 wasn't going to come with the tires, wheels, suspension tuning, or ECM tune that I would have checked off had they been available on the order form.

For others, the head unit isn't good enough, or the exterior/interior appearance is too plain or too something. Etc.

That's why we mod.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-20-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM
smittybat

I originally planned on just swapping the exhaust doing tint and maybe louvers. Exhaust is done, but I've ended up ordering lowering springs, panhead bar, lca's waiting for struts and shocks. I think after all that I'm done.... except for wheels and tires...and a tune...it never ends.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Ultimately the key thought is right behind that one.

Every option you (or I) could think of for our own cars may not match up with somebody else's list.
I'm only speaking for myself. To mod or not to mod is totally up to an individual based on want or need. If I had an older Mustang, I'd be more inclined to do some enhancements. But, @ 60 years old, I don't street race anymore and I'm not taking the new Mustang to the track. I own the Mustang because I like the sporty ride, the look and the feel. I figure if you have to drive to work everyday, you may as well enjoy the drive. The Mustang gives me that. And I have been known, even at my advanced age, to break a traffic law here and there!

Quick Reply: is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?