Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhawkr
I'm only speaking for myself. To mod or not to mod is totally up to an individual based on want or need.

I own the Mustang because I like the sporty ride, the look and the feel. I figure if you have to drive to work everyday, you may as well enjoy the drive. The Mustang gives me that. And I have been known, even at my advanced age, to break a traffic law here and there!
I know all about that, jhawk. I was about your age when I bought my '08.

But the road course fan in me still wishes that I'd been able to order my '08 at least up to its still incomplete transformation to a more serious GT car.

Actually, being retired has made it a little easier to enjoy track time. Not racing, just fun at speed where everybody out there knows what's going on and plays nice.

Catching a Porsche in turn 7 . . .

and 30 seconds later having him point to which side he wants you to pass him on coming out of turn 9 . . .

is a rewarding moment for both the driver and the chassis tuner in you as long as you don't let it go to your head.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-07-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

I'm keeping my "12 V6 all stock down to the wheels however any changes I've made to it are intended to give it a bit of a personal taste to it or something functional. for example, I didnt care for the stock plastic shifter handle (my V6 is a manual) so I added a ball shifter from Steeda which improved the appearance and feel. Also added a OEM style spoiler. I have a rear decklid blackout, same as what is on the MCA edition & Boss 302's however I havent installed it yet and also I have the dark stainless billet grill, the same that is on the GT/CS & MCA's but havent had the time to slap it on yet...

Here's a pic of the steeda ball shifter I was talking about..
Attached Thumbnails is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?-cimg1900.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

imho keeping a car stock but in pristine condition means way more for when sale time comes around.
i would never buy a modded car..
Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

I don't buy a modded car either. I mod it. In fact I keep all of my OEM cast offs if the day should ever come where negotiating for the newer car comes down to a trade in. Then I'll put all the OEM stuff back on. Bring the ECU back to OEM and then begin negotiations. Although at this point in my life with 5 kids all asking for dibs on my cars...I think the trade in days are a thing of the past....Everything I have is a keeper now....And when my oldest gets his V6 stang...I'll have all the OEM cast offs from my GT to transform his car too. Then its musical cars as hand me downs begin as I upgrade my ride to the latest ones out there.

And begin modding all over again...while keeping all my take-offs.

The day I lay out for NEW Shelby GT 500 or the latest Mach1 or BOSS or whatever will be when I'm too old to prep, paint, bust my knuckles on power adders and aerodynamic mods and just wanna drive an off the assmbly line bada$$ed ride.

Then I can live vicariously through my kids and see them take up the torch on things that interest me.

We all have hobbies. Some can afford more expensive hobbies than others. So not knocking those who have practical reasons not to mod. But, the mere fact that you made room in your life and in your budget to get a Mustang in the first place and stay on top of maintenance and keeping it looking clean and nice is in and of itself ... the one mod you made to your own lifestyle that can be outwardly and openly appreciated by others.

Having the Mustang over any other type of more practical vehicle is a mod to your own life, personal gratification and whatever other joy you glean from just owning that vehicle. This applies to anyone who owns an iconic American car from a Corvette to a Challenger or a Charger to a Mustang or Camaro or a Viper or a GT.

The vehicle itself is a modification to you. Others will look at you a bit differently than the person who pulls out their driveway in a Camry or a Dart or a Minivan.

Young people don't swoon over those other cars. They swoon over the swagger that you gain from that kickin ride. Something you won't get with a Civic unless you put a fart-can on it and slap wheels and tires that extend beyond the fenders..and then only tards who could only afford their Mom's used car will appreciate that.

The rest with some intelligence, taste and a sense of what the history is behind Americana will enjoy what you present as much as you do....

And that my friends is a mod.

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 01-22-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:43 AM
ghostrider7

[QUOTE=Cruzinaround;8339210]I don't buy a modded car either. I mod it. In fact I keep all of my OEM cast offs if the day should ever come where negotiating for the newer car comes down to a trade in. Then I'll put all the OEM stuff back on. Bring the ECU back to OEM and then begin negotiations. Although at this point in my life with 5 kids all asking for dibs on my cars...I think the trade in days are a thing of the past....Everything I have is a keeper now....And when my oldest gets his V6 stang...I'll have all the OEM cast offs from my GT to transform his car too. Then its musical cars as hand me downs begin as I upgrade my ride to the latest ones out there.

And begin modding all over again...while keeping all my take-offs.

The day I lay out for NEW Shelby GT 500 or the latest Mach1 or BOSS or whatever will be when I'm too old to prep, paint, bust my knuckles on power adders and aerodynamic mods and just wanna drive an off the assmbly line bada$$ed ride.

Then I can live vicariously through my kids and see them take up the torch on things that interest me.

We all have hobbies. Some can afford more expensive hobbies than others. So not knocking those who have practical reasons not to mod. But, the mere fact that you made room in your life and in your budget to get a Mustang in the first place and stay on top of maintenance and keeping it looking clean and nice is in and of itself ... the one mod you made to your own lifestyle that can be outwardly and openly appreciated by others.

Having the Mustang over any other type of more practical vehicle is a mod to your own life, personal gratification and whatever other joy you glean from just owning that vehicle. This applies to anyone who owns an iconic American car from a Corvette to a Challenger or a Charger to a Mustang or Camaro or a Viper or a GT.

The vehicle itself is a modification to you. Others will look at you a bit differently than the person who pulls out their driveway in a Camry or a Dart or a Minivan.

Young people don't swoon over those other cars. They swoon over the swagger that you gain from that kickin ride. Something you won't get with a Civic unless you put a fart-can on it and slap wheels and tires that extend beyond the fenders..and then only tards who could only afford their Mom's used car will appreciate that.

The rest with some intelligence, taste and a sense of what the history is behind Americana will enjoy what you present as much as you do....

And that my friends is a mod.

I feel your pain. There are only a few of us purist left that really understand
the concept of design and performance, surrounded around tasteful self expression. Hear! Hear! To the chosen Few...
Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround

Young people don't swoon over those other cars.

---
So true. I live on a street where nearly every house has a kid from age 4-9 riding on skateboards and bikes and razors all weekend long. Every time I decide to go to the grocery store or the hardware store or wherever, all the kids line up on the street and yell at me to rev my engine. I pretty much roll down the street revving from 3,000-6,000RPM while the kids cheer.

You don't see that with other types of cars. The muscle car sound and personality is something very special and not something easily replicated.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

same here..everyone stops n stares with me stang...u try dat shoite in an audi or bmw here and nobody takes any notice..
idiots here buy these rs4 audis that cost 100k and after 6 years they're worthless lol.

http://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Audi_....htm?ca=10&w=3

full retards imho
Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

What my kids learn from me...if the modification offers a functional purpose, then its potentially a worthwhile mod. If aerodynamics or power adders also translate into less drag, lighter weight and better mileage, then its a very intelligent mod.

If however it boils down to a cosmetic feature to attain a sort of look of something functional then its basically a waste of money and there are other areas that can benefit from that disposable income. So side scoops aren't really side scoops...they're air dams and provide drag where its not needed. Quarter Louvers and rear louvers have the same effect. They are trying to look like something that was a functional option in cars of the past...But they are nothing beneficial to the cars of today. They might however have a nostalgic value to the people who add them. Sort of like the faux gas cap on all the OEM floor models. Its a throwback reference to the past, but at least the faux gas cap is not an aerodynamic drag, its a nostalgic reference in homage to the history of this iconic vehicle. Other than that I personally feel there has to be a nice balance that sets your vehicle apart from the rest while identifying a bit about you in that ride and not going so over the top that people think you're just obsessed.

There are a lot of tastefully done rides from members of these forums. Even with the non-functional cosmetics. But, then there are some that look like the owner needs an intervention. But, keeping an open mind... I also understand that a lot of what we see is reflective of the age group or the demographic of each individual.

So i step back, and look at it with an open mind and can see where they're coming from and appreciate what they've done. No matter how minimal or over the top it may be. We all share a love for the core of it... these ARE our rides.

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 01-23-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Vivid Racing
Former Sponsor

What I would recommend is making sure you KEEP YOUR STOCK PARTS when doing any upgrade, and try to do simple bolt on stuff, ie; exhaust, intake, chip, throttle body, shifter, wheels and tires.. things like that. This way you can enjoy your driving experience while you have your car, then if you ever decide to trade it in, you can put your stock parts back on, and try to sell some of the stuff used. Granted, you aren't going to make all your money back, but at least you'll get some. I don't know about anyone else, but its painfully difficult for me to drive a stock vehicle.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM
jlbell4444

I have kept my mods minimal on my (bought used) 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Track Pack Premium. Ive added the GT 500 axle backs and a Barton shift *** and extension. With the Race Red and the White stripe, hood scoop and pedistal spoiler I get compliments whereever I go. It drives great as a DD and is awesomely quick around town. Sounds great, shifts great and looks great what more could you ask for if your not drag racing or getting in track time. Though I am thinking about some chrome bullet staggered wheels and tires for this spring.

Quick Reply: is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?