Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?

I trashed a lot of money on my sn95 to mod it like i wanted it, then traded in for this car and lost it all...im trynna be more frugal and only going for small minor mods like antenna and sequentials.

i joined a mustang club near me with some like minded people and they said the thing with mustangs is people throw away all their money on mods to impress people they don't even know, mean while sites like americanmuscle.com are laughing all the way to the bank. I even notice this in a lot of their advertisements, they make it sound like if you don't have XYZ mod, your car looks like crap.

Even a lot of the phone reps talk about how they spend thousands modding their cars, do Americanmuscle.com phone reps make like 6 figures or are told to say that they got all these mods?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

all the money ya put into a car is dead money dude..
put some rims on ya gt and leave it be...unless ofc your loaded with cash ( but i know you aint)
i can do what i want to me stang but never will..would sooner just wait and buy the newer model
Old 12-31-2013, 02:36 PM
20_PONY_06
1st Gear Member

I know what you mean about adding mods and not getting your money's worth when trading it in. I'm a Harley owner have seen that first hand. I like my Mustang to be stock except for a few minor mods like lowering kit, CAI, and possibly 19" wheels. Look at all the 60's muscles cars that are selling for high dollar that are factory stock cars. I have better things to do with my money that to add thousands on mods, like purchasing a new 2015.....
Old 12-31-2013, 02:50 PM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

For the most part, with very few exceptions, cars are NOT investments, in any way, shape, or form.

I bought a base Mustang GT primarily because I knew I'd be replacing most of the suspension with aftermarket. To be clear though, I do what I do with my car for one person only. Me. I have no expectations of getting any of the money I put into my car back.

And Advertisements are BS, across the board, period. That's just a fact of life.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:50 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

My POS dodge stratus 4-banger is basically stock, the only thing I've done to it is swap the radio a couple of times.

The mustang at it's price point and power level is begging to be modified, a Prius on the other hand is begging to blend in. And then you get the expensive performance cars that are already modified from the factory that hardly anyone modifies because it's already good enough and rare enough that you won't see another one like it at the mall parking lot.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:34 PM
B's 5.0
Banned

Yeah, me.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
The mustang at it's price point and power level is begging to be modified, a Prius on the other hand is begging to blend in.
I agree 100%

I remember seeing you razor post a thread asking how to get more people to compliment his car. IMO you're going about this all wrong. Only person who you need to keep happy is yourself. Every car/truck I've owned is heavily modified, because I KNOW what I like..just like my gf "customizes" her house to make it her own place. My house is plain, my cars are not...My cars are my vice and to me it's better to blow money on my car than to have a gambling or drinking problem.

That being said my goal is to have a truck as a daily driver and to really modify a mustang maybe to have as an auto cross car.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:07 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

My DD pick-up is basically stock. My Mustang I just throw parts at to see which ones stick.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Nope. Modding my car makes me happy, so I do it.

My previous car was an '87 Turbo Coupe that I bought for $1250, and invested probably $4000 in while I owned it. I only got $2000 for it when I sold it, because it looked pretty rough when I did sell it (despite having a good low mileage engine and lots of work done), and people don't always like buying modded cars. But, I owned it for 7 years and had a lot of fun with it, so that really didn't bother me.

The ONLY vehicles I've owned that I didn't do some kind of mods to were my old Tempo beater (and even that I put 10 hole wheels and a Thrush muffler on), and my old '97 Camry, because really who mods a camry?

Last edited by ghunt; 12-31-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I have few mods to my car. Lets face it, unless you spend a lot of dough, an 07 isn't going to be better than a new 5.0 GT. I bought mine because I liked the retro look (I had a 66 in high school), it had the most powerful engine in a mustang up until that time, and stock it is a decent handling car. I have put Roush seat covers in it as the all black interior was too plain, 18 chrome wheels that look awesome with Vista Blue, and a CAI and tune because it really wakes the car up, and Koni shocks because I got a good deal. I am lucky because I can store it in the winter. I truthfully can't use more power that this car has and still retain my driver's license, and I don't think the newer S197s look better. So I save my coins and just drive the thing, it makes me happy and that is the only person I have to satisfy. And I get compliments all the time on how it looks, even in traffic. This car will never be worth a fortune, so I limit the amount of money I dump into it and use it for other things.

Quick Reply: is there anyone else who keeps their car stock or spends minimally on mods?