Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird idle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't use heet, for that matter, Sunoco is a top tier fuel so no additives are ever needed. Sounds like an emissions, vacuum problem.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Symptomatic of a dirty TB and/or fuel filter. How many miles on the car? Wouldn't hurt to run a tank or 2 of SeaFoam.
57K I cleaned The TB when I put the CAI on about 2 weeks ago..Can I change the fuel filter? I may sound dumb but I thought the filter in these 2011-Up have the filter inside the tank? Am I wrong please confirm this, if so ill but that ASAP

I also never ran seafoam before in my car... Mmmm should I??

Last edited by SkyWitit23; 01-02-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Guys, this happened again last night, I changed the oil took the car for a drive to walmart..When I came home to park the car I was in natural for couple seconds to gather my things and the idle starting dropping and coming up, the cabin light would dim for a second when the idle dropped as it seemed the car was going to shut off, then the light got bright when the idle came back up...I ran a half can of seafoam with a half tank then filled her all the way up..I only used 1/4 of the tank since I put it in...I run 93 octane... I guess I may need to take her in? Or continue to run the car and drop the other half of seafoam In?

Last edited by SkyWitit23; 01-10-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 AM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Change your fuel filter. I am not positive on the newer cars but almost every car ive had you have a in tank and a in line filter. When I got my 2002 gt from my parents it went about the same amount of time threw fuel filter changes. I didn't know and ran some injector cleaner in it and it got worse to the point of almost stalling all the time. I changed the fuel filter and all went away. What happens when you run fuel cleaners is it breaks up the stuff in the tank too then it goes down the line into the filter and makes things worse.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

I think for this years model car the fuel filter is the tank only I could be wrong tho. Maybe someone can confirm for me.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 PM
white08gt
1st Gear Member

check to make sure your CAI is not loose and sucking in unmetered air. put your stock air filter back on and see if it still does it. do you have a tune? could be your tps malfunctioning, or dirty MAF. i don't think it is fuel related to bad gas or dirty filter.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:33 PM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by white08gt
check to make sure your CAI is not loose and sucking in unmetered air. put your stock air filter back on and see if it still does it. do you have a tune? could be your tps malfunctioning, or dirty MAF. i don't think it is fuel related to bad gas or dirty filter.
Good call, as it got really bad to a certain point I popped the hood, and the CAI tube was half off smh...Fixed that and all went away but still the odd idle after fueling :/

I have a 93 octane tune, and I already cleaned the TB right before installing the CAI
Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 AM
STA-BIL®
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SkyWitit23
Guys, this happened again last night, I changed the oil took the car for a drive to walmart..When I came home to park the car I was in natural for couple seconds to gather my things and the idle starting dropping and coming up, the cabin light would dim for a second when the idle dropped as it seemed the car was going to shut off, then the light got bright when the idle came back up...I ran a half can of seafoam with a half tank then filled her all the way up..I only used 1/4 of the tank since I put it in...I run 93 octane... I guess I may need to take her in? Or continue to run the car and drop the other half of seafoam In?
Hi everyone,

We work for the manufacturer of HEET®, STA-BIL®, and 303® Products.

Based solely on your original post it sounds like you may have a little water in the fuel system or the gas may be bad coming out of the pump.

If the car goes for a while with a lot of space in the gas tank (less full), you can bet that there is some water in the tank. You can get water in the gas from the pump but more often than not it will come from condensation formed within the gas tank. The more gas tank is exposed, the more room for condensation.

If you do not believe that is the issue, then it could be poor gas coming directly from the pump. Today's ethanol blended gas can begin to break down in as little as 30 days. If the pump you go to does not have great turnover, this could be the issue. As a few others have mentioned, Chevron Techron is the best fuel system cleaner out there. Wouldn't hurt to run a bottle of that through there.

Moving forward, I would suggest using a high quality ethanol treatment/fuel stabilizer with every fill up. This will help prevent the fuel from breaking down, clean the fuel system and prevent rust & corrosion. At the very least, it's cheap insurance for your fuel system.

I'm a little biased, but I would recommend STA-BIL®....

Have a great day!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 PM
redskins87

i'm having the same problem with my 06 mustang......changed the alt and all of a sudden it idles up hi and low......same with the light dimming.....it has gotten to the point of stalling at stop signs...
Old 01-26-2015, 07:36 PM
LOLBurnouts

My 2014 has randomly dropped revs and stumbled since the day i bought it. I thought it was normal for modern cars(prior to this I daily drove an old Comet for 7 years.)

Quick Reply: Weird idle?