Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 - CAI/BAMA Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The combination nets larger gains than just the tune alone.

You will have both sides on this one ... but the Ford intake system is fantastic, absolutely the best that has ever come from the factory. It will actually keep air charge temps slightly cooler under some conditions than an aftermarket cold air. Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-2...take-555-3156/

Best Regards,

TJ

Not trying to troll here.. but wouldnt you need an upgraded throttle body to take advantage of the extra air? The throttle body/stock manifold are already getting as much air as they can handle with the stock air box. Even when using a Boss manifold with aftermarket CAI.. you have to remove the bottleneck at the throttle body to get the real gains.

I realize keeping a good dense amount of air waiting to be used is a good thing, but was under the impression that the stock airbox already exceeds what the engine is able to suck in.. which is why even the Boss uses the stock box... and a bigger throttle body is needed to take full advantage of a CAI.

With the 4.6... there was only one side to this argument because it was obvious the stock box was restrictive. There are two sides with the 5.0 because it is hard to find real data showing airflow increases with a CAI. It may be able to suck in more air, but it isn't used.. at least that's what some say...
Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 PM
billybobed

Thank you for everyone's replies. With my previous mustang, the CAI/Tune made a difference in horsepower at the top end...but to me the bigger improvement was with the general throttle response, particularly at lower RPMs. With this setup on the 5.0's...is there a similar noticeable improvement? Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

OP,

I think you'll be really happy with a good tune on your new Coyote. Check out our 2011 GT Bolt-On Build-Up, where we take a stock 2011 Auto GT 5.0L and add some power mods. You can also watch us add handling, style and acceleration to the car in the other 3 videos on the page!

Hopefully this helps!

Originally Posted by krosdin
the tuner is well recommended and reputed, I tried it but preferred the stock tune, also remember the 5.0s 2011 GT have a high rate of engine failure with bama tunes. because the way the coolant passages or something are designed, the #8 cylinder gets really hot and dies then u stuck with a 10k+ bill. is it really worth the extra ~25 horsepower? maybe to some.
I wouldn't say a high rate of failures. We've had very few Cylinder #8 issues. These issues were occurring very early into the Coyote platform. Bama was also not the only tuning company to run into a Cylinder #8 issues, the failures happened on many other tuner's tunes. However, like listed above in this thread. We're the only company confident enough in our tunes to offer a Cylinder #8 warranty. If you were to run into any issues at all, we'll make sure you're taken care of!

We've tuned more 2011+ Mustangs than anyone in the world, so there's a better chance of you reading about a Bama issue. We send out thousands of tunes and build them all from the ground up for your PCM code and your mods. They're not just "canned" tunes.

We've built some really fast 2011+ Mustangs here. Our 2011 GT with full bolts on and a 150 shot of nitrous is a car that stands out to most! We were able to get a 2011 GT very deep into the 10's with basic bolts, Nitrous and a Bama tune. We have a ton of experience with this platform and have definitely figured out every aspect!

I Hope this helps clear things up. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 01-13-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I say go for the CAI + Tune. I understand that the stock airbox is much less restrictive than it used to be, but its not as good as the aftermarket filters and breather tubes. Just seeing that accordion style tube in the stock air pipe makes me think that it doesn't flow air as well. All of the aftermarket air pipes are smooth and have a larger ID which can only help to deliver more air. It might be a minimal difference, but when CAI is coupled with a tune it is a very noticeable upgrade. I run a BAMA tune with JLT CAI and could not be happier. I had the same upgrade on a 2V 4.6L and there is much more power to be gained on the 5.0 than the old 4.6. Jump in and check out the difference for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

One other thing about the stock airbox vs. CAI. If the stock airbox is as good as the aftermarket CAI at flowing air into the 5.0, then why is it a requirement to run a CAI with a tune? Just putting a CAI on the car will lean out the fuel/air mixture (bad for car) which tells me that it is delivering more air to the engine.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Ditch the stock closed air box and go for an open type CAI. This will allow you to actually put on a functional ram air hood down the road. The tune will also compensate for more unrestricted airflow coming into the throttle body and intake manifold. Allowing for more fuel and ultimately more power.

Then there's the tuner. not all are the same. Some are just a tool, others can monitor things real-time(better than the Track Apps) some require wired connections and others are wireless.

I went with the iTSX Wireless and Bama tunes. link up to an iPad mini or an iPhone or Android device and monitor systems real-time after applying a new tune or swapping to a previous tune.. Makes a whole world of difference actually seeing what's going on when you stomp on it or try to get the best mileage gains out of your configuration.

---
Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

If you are going to do it, do it right and get the few extra HP out of the CAI. Why would you leave extra accessible HP on the table when you can very cost effectively pull it out of your car?
Plus it makes for a nicer looking engine bay.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
If you are going to do it, do it right and get the few extra HP out of the CAI. Why would you leave extra accessible HP on the table when you can very cost effectively pull it out of your car?
Plus it makes for a nicer looking engine bay.
How much is a CAI (one that requires a tune)? $300-$400???? Thats why. You are spending 3-400 dollars for an unproven 4-5 HP. That's not a good buy. With the 2005-10 Mustangs, it was a no brainer.. CAIs were proven. Not so with the 2011+. Even the Boss uses the stock airbox.. and adding a CAI does little to nothing. Adding a bigger throttlebody is where you get gains with the Boss intake. That speaks volumes regarding how efficient the stock airbox is.. The sock GT intake cant handle any more air.. and when you replace it with a Boss intake (which can handle more air).. the bottleneck is not the airbox, but the throttle body.