Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone mount question

Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Default Phone mount question

I have an old phone I would love to mount right over the week... between the 2 large gauges on the dash. Problem is, I haven't come up with a way to mount something there. There's plenty of room but the piece between the large gauges has a slight curve to it so a suction cup doesn't stick there. I'm not looking for something permanent so no adhesives. I know this will cover up the small gauges but I can put those on the phone screen with troque pro.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:09 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

No bashing the idea, but I can't help wondering why would one cover the good round gages with a phone with limited screen to pipe in the gage readings of those still working gages behind the phone .... or are there more readings you are after?

Anyway, once you rule out suction cups and adhesives, you are left with studs, screws, bolts, string, straps, rivets, sew on Velcro, .... or levitation?

On the '08 GT of ours, I do have a small dab of adhesive backed Velcro on top of steering column at top and it's where I place my ScanGageII when I use it for X gages (rarely) for things like instant fuel mileage, temps and etc, \\\ but I can see stock gages over top of it. I have the back wrapped with some Velcro also and it simply rests against gage bezels lightly.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I installed this
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800.../190/007tq.jpg

Just remove the console and the trim piece to the right of the radio. Easy to do very clean look
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

You could do what the last owner did in my car and hot glue a mount in between the two vents on the center console.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Have to agree with Nuke. Confusing as why anyone woud need to see their phone that close??
Old 01-17-2014, 11:23 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

OK so some of you have no wanting to be of any help and no imagination. The phone isn't to use to talk on, text on or anything like that. I can have gauges from Torque Pro as well as google maps show up there. You've never heard of anyone adding gauges to a car or having any navigation? This is just a different way to do it. The phone won't even have SIM in it. If I can mount it on down on the steering column, it wouldn't cover the temp and gas gauges. Even if it did, those gauges don't get a lot of looks and can be duplicated with Torque Pro.

Please try to read and understand what someone is saying before you light out in a bash over an idea that you just don't get. It's just not too cool.

The Velcro was the best idea since I don't think that would leave anything when taken off. Not 100% sure though.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

i mounted my phone to the "side trim panel" to the left of the head unit. I put it low enough that it is visible around the steering wheel. I customized it to my phones case, so that it is easy to put on and off. You can mount there with whatever method you want, because that trim is a fairly cheap piece to replace and easy to install.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the constructive post. I'm now thinking that a short cigarette mount in the center might just do the trick. Easy, removable and cheap. That power port is there for a reason.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I lived in the SF Bay Area for many years, and before my '05 Mustang GT came into to the picture I was into BMW for some thirty years.

Talking of phone mounting in cars. I don't recall the year or anything, but a fellow bought a new "7" series and wanted a phone installed, one that had to be wired into the car. The wrench found a wire that got the phone working. So the "7" series owner is cruising on Hwy 280 which is wide open and sees a lot of 80 MPH hour traffic a lot of the time. So he gets a phone call, the phone rings, every time it "rings" his transmission locked up. Reckon that gave him a thrill? True story.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

I have thought about this to get my GPS off my windshield.

I will eventually use a metal bracket bent as an 'L' and velcro it to the top side of my steering column and then velcro the GPS to the bracket. One could drill rivets as well to mount to the column if they wished. I don't want to do anything permanent. Superglue, Gorilla Glue, etc... would work. I like the velcro as I could remove the GPS from the car if needed.

I figure with little effort and a bit of measuring it would work great, be out of the way and not cover any gauges (my base V6 doesn't have the two addition gauges under the fuel/temp.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Phone mount question