Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window drop info

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:34 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Default Window drop info

On the s197, I am looking for info on what controls the window drop distance when a door is opened. I have one on the passenger side that catches the vert top. I measured the difference and it does not drop as far as the drivers side.

Please do not reference the resetting of the window per the owners manual as that works fine......but the window drop distance is the issue. I would rather avoid the dealer charge also as the 08 is a bit out of warranty.

Research showed that it is adjustable......but the postings never referenced HOW to adjust.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

This might work.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Perform a de-initialization procedure of the smart motor / side window glass, followed by re-initialization procedure.

NOTE: WINDOW RE-INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOORS CLOSED.

NOTE: ON CONVERTIBLES, WINDOWS COULD BOUNCE BACK IF THE SIDE GLASS IS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. REFER TO THE WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM), SECTION 501-11.

NOTE: CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT THE DOOR SEAL OR MIRROR SEAL IS NOT ROLLED OVER OR BINDING. ALSO, THAT THERE IS NO OBSTRUCTION IN GLASS SEALING AREA AND THE GLASS FIT AND/OR REGULATOR MECHANICAL FASTENING IS NOT LOOSE.

DE-INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

De-initialization (un-learning) of the smart window motor clears the memory of the module and shuts off the One-Touch UP, Bounce Back and Short Drop functions.
The smart window motors can be de-initialized in two (2) different ways:
Disconnect the battery cable from the battery WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING.
Remove the window motor fuse from the Power Distribution Box WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING.
After performing one of the above procedures, the smart motor must be re-initialized, see Initialization Procedure.
INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR CLOSED! (For convertibles, top and the quarter glass must be in the up / closed position.)
From the window switch, perform the following steps without stopping:
Operate the window UP and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch)
Operate the window DOWN and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch)
The smart window motor will be initialized and one-touch-UP and Short Drop will be operational.
Cycle the window glass an additional five (5) times to set the window "Soft Stop" for the down position.
TIP - VOLTAGE RANGE OF OPERATION: 9-16 VOLTS (AT THE MOTOR)

The smart motor will ONLY function in the 9-16 volt range; if the voltage at the smart motor drops below 9 volts, the window may not function properly or prematurely stop moving
If the voltage drops below 9 volts while the motor is moving, the motor will become de-initialized (one-touch UP and Short Drop will be inoperable)
If the motor becomes de-initialized due to low voltage, see initialization procedure. for instructions
Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

That sounds like a possible.....especially the statement about cycling 5 times to set the soft drop. Thanks.....now why couldn't I find that....lol
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

So much for that..... Did the procedure twice with no difference. Now to do more research to figure out why it catches the top as it opens.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

There are adjustment bolts in the door...BUT, I think they only adjust the top of the glass inward/outward, not up and down. Can't remember but they might. I know the one I used is right behind the small round reflector at the back of the door panel.

I had to find them because the top of my glass was not sealing against the weatherstripping and was making a bunch of noise on the highway. I betcha there's an adjustment in there to adjust it up and down slightly too.

I'll look and see if I can find the PDF I had used, it was from the Ford service manual.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Thanks. I am going to stop by the local dealer today and just ask questions. They usually give me some pretty straight answers.

I am wondering if the back edge is just not dropping enough as the rest of it looks of.