Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB legal SCT tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 PM
wearymicrobe

Default CARB legal SCT tuner?

OK new owner I am a little bit confused about this whole tuning thing as it exists in California

2006 GT 39K miles with a automatic.

I have an axle-back exhaust, and I now have an Airraid intake as well. I have a unpaired CARB legal SCT that a friend gave me to tune the car because of the intake.

So since I intend to put the intake on the car tomorrow, when I use the SCT is it ready to go out of the box. If I need to get a tune from SCT how do I make sure that I get a California CARB legal one. I feel like all the tunes should be on the SCT already because people would just mess with them if they were unlocked.

In a perfect world I would get just a BAMA tune and go from there but keeping the car legal is the end goal until I can find a used Vortech kit cheap enough.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Load any tune you want, then when you need to make CARB happy you go back to the stock tune, that's what your tuner is for. I don't know what your worried about, I have long tubes, cams and a blower, and a very aggressive tune and have had them since 2010, and were still rolling along.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:27 PM
wearymicrobe

Originally Posted by Flat out
Load any tune you want, then when you need to make CARB happy you go back to the stock tune, that's what your tuner is for. I don't know what your worried about, I have long tubes, cams and a blower, and a very aggressive tune and have had them since 2010, and were still rolling along.
If I can revert back to stock and they cannot tell then that is exactly what I going to do.

I assumed that once I wrote a non stock tune onto the ECU that it would be detectable as such even if I put the stock tune back on.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

If you are worrying about Smogging it, Set it to stock a few days before you go in and drive it so everything is working properly. If they say anything about the ECU tell them you cleaned your battery terminals, that is what my friend with the Lightning does when he takes the chip out of his and puts the stock pulleys back on.
I knew there was a reason I left California 20 years ago
Old 01-26-2014, 01:19 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Bama tuning at AM can write Cali safe tunes.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

You can get an emissions tune from bama as well a performance one. The smog people don't check if other tunes have previously been loaded, just that all the sensors are on and ready, and that no check engine light is tripped (as far as the obdii test goes). Have fun and reload the stock or emissions tune when it's time. You should check to see if the Airraid CAI has a CARB number, if it doesn't, then you'll have to install the stock airbox also at smog time.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wearymicrobe
OK new owner I am a little bit confused about this whole tuning thing as it exists in California

2006 GT 39K miles with a automatic.

I have an axle-back exhaust, and I now have an Airraid intake as well. I have a unpaired CARB legal SCT that a friend gave me to tune the car because of the intake.

So since I intend to put the intake on the car tomorrow, when I use the SCT is it ready to go out of the box. If I need to get a tune from SCT how do I make sure that I get a California CARB legal one. I feel like all the tunes should be on the SCT already because people would just mess with them if they were unlocked.

In a perfect world I would get just a BAMA tune and go from there but keeping the car legal is the end goal until I can find a used Vortech kit cheap enough.
What's cheap enough? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/4305107832.html
Old 01-26-2014, 01:47 PM
wearymicrobe

Originally Posted by Flat out
TXT sent already.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by danzcool
You can get an emissions tune from bama as well a performance one. The smog people don't check if other tunes have previously been loaded, just that all the sensors are on and ready, and that no check engine light is tripped (as far as the obdii test goes). Have fun and reload the stock or emissions tune when it's time. You should check to see if the Airraid CAI has a CARB number, if it doesn't, then you'll have to install the stock airbox also at smog time.
danzcool hit the nail on the head! The Bama Team will be able to write you a CARB legal tune, as long as the rest of the components on your Mustang car CARB legal. I don't see why you would have any issues.

Plus, you can always revert back to stock a few days before testing. That will rebuild the KAM memory, assuming you drive enough miles in those few days.

Hope this helps!

Shane