Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker sound systems

Old 01-26-2014, 12:11 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default Shaker sound systems

Wondering if anyone knows if the Shaker speakers from the 05-09 models have the same hook-ups and/or fit in the 2010+ stangs. I'm assuming the 2010+ stangs have the same layout.

I'm not a audiophile at all, but the base speakers aren't cutting it either. Looking to pick up a take-off Shaker 1000 system to get back the relatively nice round sound I used to have on my 05 V6.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

I THOUGHT that I remembered reading that they were totally different.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

If you don't have any luck here, you might want to try the Audio/Visual Electronics sub-forum.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Is there a reason you want a Shaker 1000 rather than doing a custom setup? I understand that Shaker's are OEM, but that is hardly a good thing.

I had a Shaker 1000 in my 2007 GT and while the sound was better than the Shaker 500 in my 2011 GT, it still wasn't anything to be pleased with.

In my 2011 I replaced the stock speakers with Alpine's (stupid easy) and I had a shop install a good Memphis amp and a Hertz 10" sub. I also added some sound deadening. System sounds way better than my Shaker 1000, and all together cost me less than $1k.

Also, with your 2005 you have the benefit of being able to easily replace the head unit in your car with something way nicer. Just replacing the head unit and replacing the speakers would probably almost equate to the sound of the Shaker 1000, and you get the added benefits of a GPS, hands-free phone, bluetooth, iPod connectivity, etc in the new head unit. All told, you can probably replace the head unit and speakers for $1k and be off to a great start. Once you need more, you can add an amp and a sub.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by artdohc
Is there a reason you want a Shaker 1000 rather than doing a custom setup? I understand that Shaker's are OEM, but that is hardly a good thing.

I had a Shaker 1000 in my 2007 GT and while the sound was better than the Shaker 500 in my 2011 GT, it still wasn't anything to be pleased with.

In my 2011 I replaced the stock speakers with Alpine's (stupid easy) and I had a shop install a good Memphis amp and a Hertz 10" sub. I also added some sound deadening. System sounds way better than my Shaker 1000, and all together cost me less than $1k.

Also, with your 2005 you have the benefit of being able to easily replace the head unit in your car with something way nicer. Just replacing the head unit and replacing the speakers would probably almost equate to the sound of the Shaker 1000, and you get the added benefits of a GPS, hands-free phone, bluetooth, iPod connectivity, etc in the new head unit. All told, you can probably replace the head unit and speakers for $1k and be off to a great start. Once you need more, you can add an amp and a sub.
My primary concern is cost, then slightly improved sound quality. I'm currently not running a Shaker sound system at all in my '14 Mustang GT, and I was very pleased with the sound of the old Shaker 500 that I had in the '05 V6. I'd like to keep the stock head unit, if possible as I already have SYNC and such.

I recently got a quote from a local shop of between $1500-$2000 depending on the subs/amp I choose. The low end of the quote was for a JL Audio 10" sub in the trunk deck lid (i.e. where the stock rear speakers are located), 4x alpine speakers, an amp (I don't remember the brand, specs, or features), and the labor for the custom work. The $2000 quote is if I opt to have dual 8" subs and dynamat installed in the door panels.

I'm thinking about attempting a DIY on the 6x8 speakers door speakers, not sure if I want to tear out the stuff in the back though. I feel like I've done more complicated stuff, I'm just afraid of wiring/splicing.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI

I recently got a quote from a local shop of between $1500-$2000 depending on the subs/amp I choose. The low end of the quote was for a JL Audio 10" sub in the trunk deck lid (i.e. where the stock rear speakers are located), 4x alpine speakers, an amp (I don't remember the brand, specs, or features), and the labor for the custom work. The $2000 quote is if I opt to have dual 8" subs and dynamat installed in the door panels.

I'm thinking about attempting a DIY on the 6x8 speakers door speakers, not sure if I want to tear out the stuff in the back though. I feel like I've done more complicated stuff, I'm just afraid of wiring/splicing.
Well, you can do a lot of that yourself.

My bad on the head unit, I saw the 2005 Mustang in your sig and assumed that was the car you were talking about, not your 2014.

I wouldn't recommend trying to locate a factory Shaker 1000. Even if it is a good price, it's a lot of work (and cost) to install it for not much gain. A couple things:

Installing speakers is stupid easy and does not require splicing wires. You can buy wiring adapters for $10 a set, or if you buy from Crutchfield they include the adapters for free. I have a 2011 GT with the Shaker 500 system. I bought 2 pair of Alpine speakers for $200 from Crutchfield and installed them myself, having never done anything like it before. It was EASY. It then made me feel comfortable installing sound deadening material like Dynamat, which is this weekends' project. I went WAY overboard on the Dynamat-superior material (called Damplifier from Second Skin), cost me $150.

Morale of the story, you can do the speakers and dynamat for $350 if you do it yourself. Then the installation of a good sub with a good amp shouldn't cost more than $700-$1000 depending on what you buy and how much they try to rape you. I bought a very nice sub (10" Hertz) in a typical box enclosure and a nice amp (Memphis) and the shop I go to charged me $700 including installation.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by artdohc
Well, you can do a lot of that yourself.

My bad on the head unit, I saw the 2005 Mustang in your sig and assumed that was the car you were talking about, not your 2014.

I wouldn't recommend trying to locate a factory Shaker 1000. Even if it is a good price, it's a lot of work (and cost) to install it for not much gain. A couple things:

Installing speakers is stupid easy and does not require splicing wires. You can buy wiring adapters for $10 a set, or if you buy from Crutchfield they include the adapters for free. I have a 2011 GT with the Shaker 500 system. I bought 2 pair of Alpine speakers for $200 from Crutchfield and installed them myself, having never done anything like it before. It was EASY. It then made me feel comfortable installing sound deadening material like Dynamat, which is this weekends' project. I went WAY overboard on the Dynamat-superior material (called Damplifier from Second Skin), cost me $150.

Morale of the story, you can do the speakers and dynamat for $350 if you do it yourself. Then the installation of a good sub with a good amp shouldn't cost more than $700-$1000 depending on what you buy and how much they try to rape you. I bought a very nice sub (10" Hertz) in a typical box enclosure and a nice amp (Memphis) and the shop I go to charged me $700 including installation.
So your Shaker 500 system already has a built-in amp up front, correct? I'm wondering if I at least upgrade the 6x8's in the door panels with Alpines, if the stock setup would have enough juice to power them. I don't know if I have an amp at all with the non-shaker system; is it drawing all its power from the head unit?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Wondering if anyone knows if the Shaker speakers from the 05-09 models have the same hook-ups and/or fit in the 2010+ stangs. I'm assuming the 2010+ stangs have the same layout.
the layout is the same, but the system content is different. The 1st-gen S197 Shaker system used enclosed 2-way satellite speakers (which had no bass at all) and the 8" front door woofers. The Shaker 1000 added the double 10" subwoofer in the trunk.

the 2nd-gen (2010+) changed the satellite speakers to 5.5x7.5" coaxial speakers in the front doors (which actually work in the bass region) and 5.5.x7.5" dual-cone speakers in the rear, along with the same 8" woofers in the doors. As before, the Shaker 1000 adds the dual-subwoofer enclosure in the trunk.

I'm not a audiophile at all, but the base speakers aren't cutting it either. Looking to pick up a take-off Shaker 1000 system to get back the relatively nice round sound I used to have on my 05 V6.
the only difference between the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 is the 1000 adds the dual-sub enclosure/amp in the trunk (and has a different EQ.) If you have a Shaker 500, you can add the parts to make it a 1000 but you need someone to reconfigure your radio to turn on the output for the rear subs.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

forgot to mention, the 2013-2014 Shaker systems are a lot different; they have an off-board amplifier driving the main speakers and a totally different speaker package.

Now, if you have a "base" (4 speaker) audio system, it's not worth your while to try to upgrade it to a Shaker system. The wiring is way too different. Better just to put in your own system.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

jz78817 caught something I didn't, which is that you don't have a Shaker 500, just a standard system.

Regardless, your head unit will power the Alpine's or whatever you want, but the lack of power will mean while you will get better sound than stock you might not get the sound quality you are looking for. You can always install speakers and if you aren't satisfied you can install a 4-channel amp, decent ones cost $200. If it was me...

Buy a couple sets of speakers to replace what you have in the door and rear deck. You can spend anywhere from $150-$300 depending on the quality you want and you'll get something nice. You can either get a component 5 1/4" speaker/tweeter setup up front and normal speakers for the rear or a couple pair of normal speakers for the front and rear.

Next, buy a sub and an amp. If you plan to purchase from a shop and have them install it you are likely looking at $1,000.

If you still aren't happy with the quality of sound coming from your speakers, buy a 4-channel amp. Again, you can buy from the shop or buy something online and have them install it, costs about $200 online.

If you still aren't happy at that point your issue likely lies in the head unit, at which point your options start to become kinda limited and outside my realm of help.

Also, use of sound deadening materials as you go is always a good thing. You should check out second skin, they are cheaper than Dynamat, do the same thing, and their products are generally considered to be better. And it is something you can do on your own.

Last edited by artdohc; 01-27-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaker sound systems