Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW TO THE CAR WORLD

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 PM
DOM1994

Thumbs up NEW TO THE CAR WORLD

So I have a 2014 mustang v6, 6 speed manual trans. I want to make this car into a daily driver that I can take to the track and run 12's IN A 1/4 mile. i was thinking about upgrading my clutch, flywheel, and driveshaft. I am looking at a Spec Billet Aluminum Flywheel, Spec Stage 3+ Clutch, and an Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft. What are your thoughts on these parts. Also, is it a good place to start? I have a BBK CAI S&R lowering springs and GT 500 black wheels (18x9) (18x10). I was thinking about buying a BBK throttle body and a new exhaust first then get it tuned. But the turbo kit i am looking at comes with a tune and exhaust. WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

There wouldn't be any issues starting off with any of the mods that you have. Personally for what I like to do, I would bunch up some of the mods you have there into categories and order them at similar times so you can just install them all at once. So like if you're doing the Spec clutch and a driveshaft, do it at the same time. If you're doing lowering springs, do the supporting mods with that too. If you're doing power mods, bunch some of them together. That's how I would do it.

Personally for me, suspension always comes first which ties together with wheels, and then I would jump into the other things. PM me if you need any help purchasing those mods, I can get you some good prices
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
There wouldn't be any issues starting off with any of the mods that you have. Personally for what I like to do, I would bunch up some of the mods you have there into categories and order them at similar times so you can just install them all at once. So like if you're doing the Spec clutch and a driveshaft, do it at the same time. If you're doing lowering springs, do the supporting mods with that too. If you're doing power mods, bunch some of them together. That's how I would do it.
+1

Bunching your parts makes it a lot easier for the shop you'll be working with too (if you're not doing yourself). Find a reputable speed shop and work out some build plans in stages.
Since your initial list of mods doesn't include gears, you'd best add those to the list.
You also noted that you are looking at a turbo kit, so if thats the way you want to go, don't waste another dime on a CAI or a Throttle Body until you get the turbo kit...they will do you very little justice w/o increased HP application. You've got a good list started, but if this is the route you're going, get the tuner now so you're a step ahead when ordering your eventual upgrades
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

The Spec 3 is overkill IMO. Gears would be a great addition to your list. LCA's would help if your serious about going to the track. Also dont forget brakes, you want to go fast you also need to be able to slow down.

Matthew
Old 01-30-2014, 05:00 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the car modding world DOM1994! It's kind of like joining the Dark Side...but we have better cookies an kick a whole lot more a**.

Grouping mods is important not just for managing the budget, but also for being sure you can debug things as you go. If you make a whole bunch of changes at once, it's pretty hard to figure out which one is causing what unintended consequence!

For me, I usually recommend that people:
  1. Make the car turn.
  2. Make the car stop.
  3. Make the car quicker.
  4. Make the car faster.

...then rinse and repeat until you're satisfied with the outcome!

A quick (accelerating) car and/or a fast (velocity) car isn't much fun if you can't point it where you want it to go and/or make it stop when you want it to. In fact, it can become distinctly NOT fun in a big hurry!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 AM
DOM1994

cool thanks guys.. and yeah i didnt even think about breaks..... so we all know about brimbo.. is that just a name or are the breaks kick *** like they say. because in know that price tag is up there, i feel like they are like pirelli tires big name but not worth the price. also is there a better website to gets part from than americanmuscle? everyones help is much appreciated!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

AM is the best site imo, they got everything you need at good prices and the customer service is very reachable. Idk about spending money on performance for a v6 though unless you got a s/c....but just think if you'd gotten a 5.0 and then put an s/c!

Thats what I never understood, people want to save money by buying a v6, then willing to load thousands to performance when they could have had a better platform to begin at!

I'd skip on the throttle body, they seem to do more bad than good.

I hear 4.10 gears can shave a whole second off the quarter mile.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by RazorGT
AM is the best site imo, they got everything you need at good prices and the customer service is very reachable. Idk about spending money on performance for a v6 though unless you got a s/c....but just think if you'd gotten a 5.0 and then put an s/c!

Thats what I never understood, people want to save money by buying a v6, then willing to load thousands to performance when they could have had a better platform to begin at!

I'd skip on the throttle body, they seem to do more bad than good.

I hear 4.10 gears can shave a whole second off the quarter mile.
I normally dont get butt hurt but I ****ing hate people like you. These arent the SN95 135HP V6s anymore. Get over yourself.

The man wants to improve his car. Help or GTFO.

Matthew
Old 01-31-2014, 12:46 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I normally dont get butt hurt but I ****ing hate people like you. These arent the SN95 135HP V6s anymore. Get over yourself.

The man wants to improve his car. Help or GTFO.

Matthew
Sorry you don't like my opinion - but if you kept reading after the part you highlighted...you'd that I did help.

Last edited by RazorGT; 01-31-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Not sure what the SPEC 3+ is rated for your car but for mine its 560 rwtq I believe. Its the clutch I went with since I have the supercharger and it was the most street friendly and a few people recommended it for my application due to issue they have experienced with the other stages SPEC offers. However, I think it would be overkill on your car especially if you are leaving it N/A. If you plan on putting some big power out down the road by means of Nitrous or FI I would go ahead and do it then to give you room to grow.

Quick Reply: NEW TO THE CAR WORLD